G35 squeaky breaks.....what can I do to get rid of the sound?

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
deanfootlong

I just bought an 04 g35 coupe (some of you may have seen my post with pics of it) and the previous owner changed the brake pads but didn't change the rotors. I believe thats why they're squeaking. but not totally convinced. what do you all think that I can do to get rid of the squeaking? it only squeaks after the brakes get hot. any opinions are greatly appreciated. thanks everybody.

-charles

JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

Resurface the rotors or get new ones. Then, after you install them, scuff up the pads to create a new friction surface.

-Jerome

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

You could also try some brake lube on the back-side of the pads. Should have been done on the brake install...

deanfootlong

im going to resurface the rotors and sand down the edges of the pads and also apply some of that brake lube to the back sides of the brakes, this weekend. hopefully that does the trick. thanks everybody.

trug35
Car: 07 g35 coupe

whatever you do dont put any kind of anti squeel on your pads, we have it at work and it destroys rotors.... trust me lol

tralls
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan

I have seen it many times where people change the pads but don't resurface the rotors. the rotors get glazed and it causes them to squek with new pads

JeromeS13

trug35 wrote:whatever you do dont put any kind of anti squeel on your pads, we have it at work and it destroys rotors.... trust me lol
I'm curious as to how it destroys rotors, when it should never come into contact with them?

-Jerome

deanfootlong

ya i dont get how it "destroys rotors lol." anyways, my car has the brembo brake package. the rotors are resurface-able? some say not to resurface but to buy new ones. ....thoughts?

Andy_V35Sky_350GT
Car: 2003 Nissan Skyline 350GT

My 03 coupe had Bendix advanced pads put on them 3 months ago, had real problems with the squeeling, took it in for a service and they discovered the pads had glazed over and were totally stuffed, obviously getting too hot so they changed them again free of charge and put a different type on, the squeeling has stopped but we'll have to see if it lasts....

JeromeS13

deanfootlong wrote:ya i dont get how it "destroys rotors lol." anyways, my car has the brembo brake package. the rotors are resurface-able? some say not to resurface but to buy new ones. ....thoughts?
You can resurface them. However, they still need to be above minimum thickness AFTER they've been turned. So, if there are any type of grooves or anything, chances are they'll have to be turned beyond spec. If you search around, you can find OEM style blanks for pretty cheap.

-Jerome

trug35

Its not the anti squeel you put on the back of the pad, its a liquid by BG that you put on the contact surface of the pad... i cant tell you why it destroys them.. but all i know is I used it at work twise, and both times i had to come back in and replace the rotors and everything was fine, cant tell u why?

JeromeS13

trug35 wrote:Its not the anti squeel you put on the back of the pad, its a liquid by BG that you put on the contact surface of the pad... i cant tell you why it destroys them.. but all i know is I used it at work twise, and both times i had to come back in and replace the rotors and everything was fine, cant tell u why?
Maybe its because you're never suppose to put anything on the friction surface of a brake pad? That would sort of defeat the purpose of the brake pad in the first place...

-Jerome

trug35

in the first place maybe thats why i said dont use it and 2 in the second place if you see it you wount think it would effect it, it soaks into the pad, i dunno what your trying to argue about it cus i agree dont use the ****

JeromeS13

trug35 wrote:in the first place maybe thats why i said dont use it and 2 in the second place if you see it you wount think it would effect it, it soaks into the pad, i dunno what your trying to argue about it cus i agree dont use the ****
I'm not trying to argue. I'm just trying to state the fact that you should never put anything on the friction surface of the brake pad. Are you sure you read the directions correctly? And, I'm wondering why you did it twice??

-Jerome

trug35

yeah they were read right, drip liquid on to the contact point of the pad were it meets the rotor for the 100 time, and yes i know the diff between this and anisieze/brakepad lube, ive been working on cars in a dealership since i was 18, and the only reason i did it twise was cus the tech next to me swears by it so i gave it another shot not like it mattered cus the second one was a warranty job. Any more questions that i can anser to inlighten your day? or are you finaly done? all i was ever trying to say is dont use it, look at BG shop products for dealerships and its in there, and the desriprion even saids soak this product into the acual pad of your brakes to prevent squeeking, i just saw it today. so when you reply to this simply reply "O.K."

JeromeS13

trug35 wrote:yeah they were read right, drip liquid on to the contact point of the pad were it meets the rotor for the 100 time, and yes i know the diff between this and anisieze/brakepad lube, ive been working on cars in a dealership since i was 18, and the only reason i did it twise was cus the tech next to me swears by it so i gave it another shot not like it mattered cus the second one was a warranty job. Any more questions that i can anser to inlighten your day? or are you finaly done? all i was ever trying to say is dont use it, look at BG shop products for dealerships and its in there, and the desriprion even saids soak this product into the acual pad of your brakes to prevent squeeking, i just saw it today. so when you reply to this simply reply "O.K."
Ok. But, what's a desripion?

:D

-Jerome

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Geez guys...why am I starting to detect sarcasm and hostility?? How did a simple thread about squeeky breaks begin to take this route?

Let's keep it "civil"

cbrrdr44
Car: '03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

i had a similar issue with my '03. after i picked it up (used) there was a loud squeel from the front brakes. took it in so they could check it out, and they said it was rotor issues, so they resurfaced them and threw on some anti-squeel and said it was good.....and right when i pulled into my driveway, i heard it again. just as loud as it was before i took it in. after further inspection i found that it was missing the anti-rattle clips on both calipers. dont know if your problem is similar...good luck though!

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”