G35 Speeding Stories

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
90Q45blue
Car: 2006 Honda Accord EX-L

I know what you're asking, "why is Nick, a Q owner, starting this thread?" (1) Well, I get G35 loaners when I take the Q in and (2) You guys HAVE to have some good stories with those fast little cars of yours.

Story: So I took out a 2003 G35 Sedan out as a loaner yesterday while I got new tires and upper links. I think I scared the service writer when I peeled out of the lot. Anyways, I was going down the highway to work when this '96 Mustang comes up to me and smiles and nods. Normally I would never race in a loaner car :icesangel but his 'stang had a huge ugly wing on the back. So I turned and smile right back and he held his fingers out 3, 2, 1. I smoked him so bad when we both hit the gas that I was probably 4 car lengths ahead of him before I slowed down. So I flashed my lights at him and he refused to look at me and pulled off at the next exit. Stupid kids. Awesome G.

Nick :)

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Man I'd just tell them to keep the Q.

90Q45blue
Car: 2006 Honda Accord EX-L

Heh. My pocketbook tells them to take the G back. :)

Nick

fshrmn

Nothing outrageous here, but I can tell you that you can't set the cruise control above 94mph. Next time you have a loaner G, go and find yourself some nice 45mph recommended speed corners and see what it can do)

fshrmn

vq35de
Car: G35 Sedan Leather 6MT

I love being able to get from 75-120 AND GET BACK to 75 before i hit the next rise or hill a half mile away. I also love being able to take 15 mph curves at 55 and 30 mph curves at 105 plus.

or how about the "auto dimming rear view mirror" switch under the gas pedal? Just put your right foot down and count to 10 and the lights behind you from that semi are just twinkles.

How about the time we looked for the speed limiter and chickened out at 149 mph (I guess my speedo is off a bit, it is supposed to come in at 145)?

Getting sideways on a 1-2 shift? Not scary enough for you? How about losing traction on the 3-4 shift at 78 mph around a curve? Breaking traction enough to give a wiggle on a 4-5 shift? I won't even say the mph assoctiated with that one, that is severe pucker power.

The above are all the joys the G holds, especially with better tires than stock.

And did I mention I have a sedan? I can still fit 3 kids and my GF in it and go in luxury to a movie and turn heads.

fshrmn

Go Sedans!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

vq35de:Sounds like you have some awesome stories up your sleeve.Tell tell!

Fred..:)

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

fshrmn wrote:you can't set the cruise control above 94mph.

Settings are different for the various Infiniti models! :D I have an old post on the topic - a search will find it.

Z

vq35de

PalmerWMD wrote:vq35de:Sounds like you have some awesome stories up your sleeve.Tell tell!

Fred,That is just everyday stuff for me. I drive the living **** outta my car. $1000.00 set of tires every six months, set of brake pads and rotors once per year, oil change every 2 months, tranny and differential fluid change about 1/year. New shocks about every 1-2 years (running Z shocks/springs now).

It gets expensive, but you got to pay to play. If it can be done in this car I ahve done it (yes that too). 180's, full on 140-0 stops, you name it. I have never done a full fledged burnout, tires are just too expensive. that is the only one I haven't done.

I need a crawford plenum in a big way as I am sure my #5/6 cylinders look like crap. Sometime this summer I am gonna do a compression test on them before I put the crawford on.

Super Dave

eh....same ol, same ol........smoked a brand new Mustang GT yesterday. he thought he was cool, so i showed him what was up then watched him slump off with his tail between his legs. he was actually dumb enough to try twice. :D

PalmerWMD

More play by play details folks! (VQ35de and Super Dave)

Dont tease us.

Fred..:D

Super Dave

u can pretty much guess the details......he couldn't hang through the hard right, he couldn't hang accelerating out of it, and he couldn't hang once we were up to speed. :D

GeeThreeFive

vq35de wrote:I love being able to get from 75-120 AND GET BACK to 75 before i hit the next rise or hill a half mile away. I also love being able to take 15 mph curves at 55 and 30 mph curves at 105 plus.

or how about the "auto dimming rear view mirror" switch under the gas pedal? Just put your right foot down and count to 10 and the lights behind you from that semi are just twinkles.

How about the time we looked for the speed limiter and chickened out at 149 mph (I guess my speedo is off a bit, it is supposed to come in at 145)?

Getting sideways on a 1-2 shift? Not scary enough for you? How about losing traction on the 3-4 shift at 78 mph around a curve? Breaking traction enough to give a wiggle on a 4-5 shift? I won't even say the mph assoctiated with that one, that is severe pucker power.

The above are all the joys the G holds, especially with better tires than stock.

And did I mention I have a sedan? I can still fit 3 kids and my GF in it and go in luxury to a movie and turn heads.

It's a damn good thing you live in Az, because Calif couldn't have two of us on the road.

g35driver
Car: Power kite flying

I had an opportunity to smoke some mentally challenged (idiot) person last night. But some times it's really not worth the gas to do it. Some guy in a new blue susuki forenza gives it all he got to pull away from me so he could be in front he thought he was real cool acting like he was in a race. I was laughing my head off & my wife is saying what’s up with that guy? Even if he had additional f/i under the hood I mean come’ on 119hp stock even with a pop charger and a coffee can muffler he'd have what 125 hp? 0-60 in just under a minute. If I were driving my wife’s neon I would have raced him just to make it fare. But if I see the guy again he will see a blue flash and not even know what kind of car passed him. Man, some people must really be from another planet. However, around this time last year I smoked a new bmw 325i silver with sport package The guy thought he owned the road until the G pull up behind him. 2 lanes turned to 3 we both pull to the empty lanes he gave it all he had and all he saw was the backend of the G and I back off at 90mph. A little to much traffic to play in. At that moment, I'm sure the guy wishes he had a G or 330i & that his son was not in the car to witness the defeat. He slumped down and made a quick exit off the highway. It was funny.Kev...

vq35de

GeeThreeFive wrote:It's a damn good thing you live in Az, because Calif couldn't have two of us on the road.

touche, man

been in a loaner 5AT for the last week now. no Z suspension no 6 speed, I am going out of my mind.

I hate teh Goodyear RS-A's in the rain. scarrrryyyy

GMachine
Car: cars, camping, sports

Love the G sedan on the highway! Here in Alberta Canada we have alot of wide open spaces and highways to WOT on. I'm in sales and drive 40,000 kms per year so get to have fun in the G alot.One trip I take alot is 5 hour drive with only 2 towns of about 500 pop on the way, the highway to Ft. mcMurray AB.

I've had the car up against the rev limiter twice, - I think thats about 140mph. Raced a Jag XKR for about a 1/2 hour thru a twisty section of highway, - he tried to pass me twice but I just went WOT each time and out handled him on the corners, - or he wasn't as brave one or the other.

This car is even great on ice and snow, - for a rear wheel drive. I've taken hywy corners that post 45kph at 70 - 80kph, slidding a bit with the *** end out and the VDC working to bring it under control and never gone off the road. We get alot of winter here in the far north and I'm constantly amazed at how well it will grip the road. The Turanza tires are pretty good for wear too.

MOTOP
Car: 04 G35 sedan

Going 100mph in the right lane northbound on I-5 from LA to SF. Just came down from Grapevine. This black Porsche just BLOWS by me, all I can see is Cali license plate " BAD DGGY". I decide to catch up and take a look at him. I tried for 30 sec at the top speed (143-145, car was scary stable) and the guy just pulled away from me. Never caught up on him.

I guess he's one of those people who are like "Why take a plane from LA to SF ? I can fly by myself". He was probably going 170-180.

Later that drive I passed CHP officer on the shoulder doing 89mph (cruise control max speed). He wouldn't even look at me, speed limit is 70.

And of course than I woke up. And realized it was all a dream :)

PoorManQ45

MOTOP wrote:
I guess he's one of those people who are like "Why take a plane from LA to SF ? I can fly by myself". He was probably going 170-180.

Thats when you wish that you had a Q, then you could catch him:D

vq35de

no, just a technosquare ecu to remove the limiter and a TT kit

PoorManQ45

ya, I was just saying. With the Q45 you could catch him, stock.

szh

PoorManQ45 wrote:ya, I was just saying. With the Q45 you could catch him, stock.

Hmmm ... how could you catch a Porsche doing 170-180mph? Both my stock Q45's had speed limiters at 150mph or so.

Z

PoorManQ45

I have a 92Q, and I had the speedo bouncing at 170mph

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

no,no, you didn't

PoorManQ45

Altiman94- How can you say that I didn't have it over 170?

It took about 5 miles for me to reach 160. Then I went over an overpass and on the way down the speedo bounced off of 170. When I was back on level road, the speedometer stayed at ~170.

So, that means that the 92Q45 can do 170+. It just needs a little help getting there.

PalmerWMD

Neevr mind Altiman he is atroll sometimes.And doesnt understand the unusual highcapablities of a Q, BUT this thread is about G35 speeding stories anyway, so we wont crowd those guys out.

PoorManQ45

Ok, I'll leave these 6cylinder worshipers alone. Sorry about diverting the thread from its intended path.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I don't have a G, but a neighbor does (its a black A/T sedan) . He lets his daughter drive it sometimes. She's a fairly decent driver for a 17 year old. A few days ago we met at a stoplight. I was in my 2004 Maxima, and was curious to see how it stands up against the G. She hasn't been driving enough to understand the hand signal meaning "lets race," (no I don't mean that finger...that's reserved for car makes that I won't mention) so I rolled down my window and yelled over her music.The light changed, we both peeled out, her tires sqealing. Mine don't squeal, they just spin--quietest tires I have ever heard. I was surprised how well my Max kept up, as even though I'm making 5 more horses (probably not in reality, but that's what the specs say), my car is quite a bit heavier. When I finally slowed and let her pass me completely we were doing about 75 on a 45 with houses on it, and approaching a parking lot that nearly always hides a cop--I wasn't willing to chance much more than that. As the back of her car passed my window, I heard that wonderful roar that is the VQ35. The G35 is a gorgeous car...there's just no other way to put it. I have yet to have a chance to drive a G yet (well, I drove a G20...but...). Keep telling your stories so I can at least drive one vicariously.

Not quite the kind of G35 speeding story you had in mind, but it was still a G35 speeding story.

--Edit: I thought the A34 Maxima was a lot heavier than the G35...its only about 100 pounds (104 in the case of these two specific cars) heavier. Probably has to do with the G35's platform sharing with the FX...

szh

PoorManQ45 wrote:I have a 92Q, and I had the speedo bouncing at 170mph

Wow! I was under the impression that it would stop accelerating anymore at 150 or 155 or so (did you modify your car to remove the speed governor?) In my high-speed driving of my 1991 Q, I never tried to take it over 150 (on an extended trip from CA to AL) on that belief.

BTW, I sure hope that your tires were in perfect condition! I would never consider going that fast on any tire that was not almost brand-new, perfectly balanced, and without any previous punctures (i.e., no patches inside!)

Good stuff! :D

Z

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Ok, I have a small little gathering of stories, nothing exciting though. I have posted these in vaious other threads throughout NICO.

I came from driving a 1993 Ford Ranger to the G35 Coupe. Needless to say that is quite a large jump in performance and power. Shortly after I picked up my car, a few months I think, I was taking an entrance ramp onto an interstate. It is a fairly long ramp that merges into a very busy section of I-65 in Indy. There was a long line of truck traffic coming coming and there wasn't really any room for them to move over a lane so I could merge into traffic. So, I decided that I could go ahead and get in front of the trucks and not have to worry about it. I was going about 35 or 40 and then punched it. I looked at the speedo before I got to the interstate entrance and I was doing 125mph and then easily merged onto the interstate and slowed down. The car was smooth and the speed came so quickly that I had no idea I would be doing 125 on the entrance ramp. The car had me hooked before, but that just really got me more. The power that this car has is great and the feel of the car is amazing.

One night, early morning, last year as I was sitting at a stop light and a black 350Z pulled up along side of me and gave me the nod for a little race action. I'm usually not big on the street racing, but it was pretty late and it was fairly well lit, no intersections and divided from oncoming traffic, so I thought what the hell. So, I flip off the VDC and the light turns green. I got a much better start than he did and began to pull away slightly before he started to catch up a bit when the next light ahead turned yellow and we shut down. I was about 3/4 of a car ahead of him once we shut down. I was pleasantly surprised that the G held so well against the Z. Of course, had the Z driver been a little better, I am sure the results would have been slightly different.

Ok, last one for now. I was heading north on I-65 south of Indy going about 80-85 mostly with the flow of traffic. Southbound on I-65 came a State Trooper. When I saw him coming I let off the gas and slowed down to about 70-75. The speed limit along that section is 65mph and I was going with the flow, so I didn't think that he would be worried about me especially considering he was going the opposite direction that I was going. Well, when he passed me, I noticed him crane his neck and the turn into the median and turn on his lights. Needless to say I was surprised and a bit pissed off. He caught up to me about 2 miles up the road and pulled me over. He came up to the car and started asking me about it. He told me that he hoped I was upset, but the reason he stopped me was that he had never seen the car before and that he had to find out more about it. He had no inkling of stopping me for speeding. So, we talked about 15 minutes and he let me know that he was really the only Tropper to work that section of I-65 and that I really didn't have to worry about him stopping me unless I was driving like an idiot.

Well, enough stories for now. Maybe I'll tell all you kids some more later.

vq35de

as far as the speed limiter goes. In 1994 they passed a law that said all cars had to be limited to certain speeds depending on vague classes to help with insurance and NTSB concerns. before 94 and with some 94 models there was no speed limiter. my 92 sentra would do 140 or so. my 94 altima was limited to 120 something.

so a 92 Q would not have had a limiter whereas a 94 plus has one

speeding stories, St. Johns, AZ to Holbrook, AZ is 56 miles on US 180 past the Petrified Forest NP. I did in 35 minutes including slowing down to the speed limit (65) for about 7 miles.

car is really loud at that speed since I lowered it and am running 45+ psi in the tires. but it is smooth

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”