G35 sedan makes rattle after engine shut off!

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
speedgirlmo

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas??? I have a 2003 infiniti G35 sedan with 45,000 miles on it. Just prior to taking it in for its 45k mile service, I noticed when I shut the engine off there is a pause of one or two seconds then a rattle that sounds like it comes from the front driver side of the engine. The rattle is the same every time, and occurs every time I shut the engine off, whether I've driven 50 miles, or just turn it on then off in my garage. The dealer told me that this is the fuel throttle and is normal. They had given me a 2004 G35 sendan as a loaner and it does not make the noise, so after I mention this they said it's normal for the 2003 model. Hmmm... I am skepitcal. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated!!!

PS. Why does the 2004 ride so much nicer??? Also, my 2003 has a dead spot when I punch it that the 04 doesn't seem to have. Did they make this many changes from the 03 to the 04? I don't think I'll buy a brand new model car again until its been out at least a year :-(

speedgirlmo:confused:

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I'd ask them what part specifically was changed in 2004 to correct the rattle - and then ask for them to replace it. I'm not sure waht a "fuel throttle" is but it sounds like :bsflag to me. Not sure on the dead spot in the acceleration. On some of the 2002 Q45s they had some software issues with the transmission that they updated later.

It might pay to get the $20 viewing subscription to http://www.infiniti-techinfo.com to check out the technical service buletins (TSBs) for "fixes" that Nissan is publishing for these types of quirks. I believe they have summaries on the web site, so you might be able to see if they have something addressing the issue without buying the subscription.

Taking a copy into the dealership will certainly let them know you mean business.

Welcome to NICO!

Heath

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

There is a sticky in this forum with a link to the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Association). You should be able to find TSB's there and print them off for free.

From what you are describing it almost sounds like just a loose heat shield. I had a loose heat shield on my 93 Ranger that would rattle when I started the truck up or turned it off. It was a simple fix of crawling under the truck looking for a rattle and breaking the shield off. I wouldn't suggest doing that with a $30,000 car though.

Have you taken the car in and had them just look for that problem? I have found in past situations that you get a better response that way. Sometimes if you take the car in for regular maintenance they will forget to look into a rattle and offer some bs explanation when you ask about it. This of course isn't good business practice, but it does happen from time to time.

If you are still under warranty, I would take the car in and tell them your complaints and that you want it fixed. They are obligated to fix problems that are covered under warranty.

And welcome to NICO speedgirlmo.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”