G35 Head light question

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
jjin626
Car: cars~doh

I have G35 (2004) Sedan, and it has built in FOG LIGHT, the question is, can i install H.I.D. as my FOG LIGHT? so i can have 2 H.I.D. ?? or should i just install after market blue bulb on to my fog light? also, is that a REAL FOG LIGHT? it looks like regular head lite when it's on, pls help, and just wondering anyone having this same question? or some of you already done something about this fog lite already..?

thx... :rolleyes

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Some thoughts:

A blue bulb might make it less effective in fog, as I seen some of the best foglights in yellow ( in many european countries were they have lots of fog).Yellow being on the opposite side of the spectrum than blue, it follows that they must have that color on purpose and blue might do the opposite.

Also I wonder if HID's in your fogs wouldnt be too bright ( if you could get that set-up to work).Fogs shine more and lower on the road and while this isnt likley to blind other traffic too badly, It will reflect some in your field of vision and possibily lower your night visison adaption, especially if you run them on at nite.

Just my 2 cents.

Fred..:)

vq35de
Car: G35 Sedan Leather 6MT

yes the factory fogs work well in the fog. changing the bulb in the fog is easy. try some and see if you like em. I think the first upgrade should be hid for your highbeams though. I did that and loved em.

jjin626

Thx for the info.

you said you have HID as your fog light for high beam already, do you mean the REAL HID or the aftermarget bulb tinted blue.? I know we can buy REAL HID w/ the converter and all that stuff and make it REAL. is that what you did?

I am thinking maybe i should just change the H4 bulb to after market blue bulb. that way i can save $500 for the real HID kit. since our G35 already got HID for low beam..

wow, i m amazed that nobody is doing MOD for that 2nd head lite...(fog lite) it would be great if we can fit 2 HID (real one) inside and have them on at night... wa la...

btw, i dont think i will keep the yellow/regular fog lite, since SO-CAL we dont get fog...i only see fog when i drive up to SF at night over the Mt. on freeway 5...

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

http://www.danielsternlighting....html

http://www.danielsternlighting....html

Here are a couple articles you might want to check out about blue bulbs.

jjin626

thx for the info link, it's nice to know. anyone mod the fog (H4) to HID? nuff power for 2 HID ? (not the blue tint bulbs)

vq35de
Car: G35 Sedan Leather 6MT

i modded a previous car's high and low beams to HID, not the G's

for the G, the best mod was simply to aim the headlights a few ticks up (requires getting to the adjusting screws). I cut the guards with a dremel, so I could adjust it. After that I had no need for more light, and I don't give a damn about looks. I did this last weekend after I talked on this thread and have changed my opinion as reflected here. It is a thin line between higher and too high. I have 300 night miles on my car since I did this (small roadtrip) and only one oncoming car flashed me.

jjin626

i tried and looked for the easy on / off snap thing for the head lite in order to get to the bulb, but looks like i'll have to TAKE the BUMPER and the whole front part off to get to them. m i dreaming, or is there a way to go around it? or the EASY ON/OFF SNAP THING is hiding somewhere?:thinker

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

You should look to see if they designed an access from inside the engine compartment. You may have to remove the air filter box on the left side of the car. Not sure what is on the right side. Or if these do not exist, you can look to see if you might be able to reach it from underneath with the wheelwell cover removed. I don't know about the G, but most cars will have some way of easily(relatively) replacing bulbs.

jjin626

thx for your info. i still got no time to LOOK INTO IT ...in detail, i will find out and let you all know...errr i need longer weekends...

GeeThreeFive

I have changed the fog lights and clearance lights. You don't have to take off the bumper. Like I did the first time.Just jack up you wheel enough to take it off and remove the the fasteners in your fender well, when you pull back the plastic cover you can easily change your bulbs. I tryed doing it without removing the wheel and it was a B****h. I dropped a wedge bulb down into my headlight housing, which I had special ordered off e-bay.

jjin626

thx gee35, sounds like i can D.I.Y. ...or D.I.M. the bulb, thx thx,

jjin626

it's confirmed that we can put in 2nd H.I.D. kit to replace the stock H4 (HB2) fog light and give up HIGH BEAM. the new HID will run 35watt, so it's better than running w/ stock FOG on all the time. i am getting it INSTALLED tomorrow night, will update later. thx for all the info.

GeeThreeFive

If you can post step by step pics.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Yeah, I am interested to hear exactly how this is all going together. Also, seeing some pics with the lights on would be nice, so that we could tell the difference between the stock and your setup.

jjin626

took the mech. 45 min to install both HID and Ztube for me. i dont have the steps, but basically they replace the FOG BULB and installed H.I.D. kit (not the $5 blue tint bulb). it's WHITER than stock head light (on top). so now i have TOP: stock HID, BOTTOM: 2nd HID installed. and yes if you push down for HIGH BEAM, you only get TOP: stock HID, bottom will be be on. so you just turn on head light and lowbeam fog light , u get 2 HID. i will try and post pix asap. i signed up for imagestation already, need to transfer pix to my pc first. will keep you all posted.:ylsuper

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

You can upload pics to NICO in the member's ride link in the menu.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”