G35 Flaws??

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
BLAM9

Hey everyone. I have some questions that I hope you all can help me with. I looked at the site that shows all the bad things of a G and it brings up and shows like ~75 things because I wanted to prep. to ask the salesman and the private sellers questions about the car. My questions are:

1. Whats the deal with the G's brakes. Apparently they break fast or are of low quality. The Private seller had an 04', looked very clean and the sunroof didn't even rattle yet or it doesn't, and yet, the brakes had to be changed at 14k miles. Were your G's brakes changed that soon?

2. In general, what were some of the big to small flaws that as owners and as well as enthusist, please feel free to vent, give tips, or anything to help me as well as the others that read this thread.

Again, I want to thank everyone here for being so helpful, I've only been here 2 days and I've learned so much from all of your indept responses and threads to other peoples problems. All in all, I just want to make the right choice because dealers and private sellers just amp up the pro's and drop the cons.

Have a good one everyone.-BLAM

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Must have been a domestic car site - I can't think of FIVE issues with the G that are well-known, much less 75.

Brakes: The Brembos wear fast. Guess what? When a car like the G can stop in the short distances it does, brakes are gonna wear. People who whine about it need to drive something else.

Remember, the G Sedan threw down stopping distances on a par with the C5 Corvette. Brake pads are cheap.

Rattles: Listen for interior rattles on your test drive.

Service history: Get the VIN and call your local dealer to get the service history.

Those are the only issues I can think of with a G.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

The brakes issue was for all brakes just not the Brembos. There was a recall/TSB sent out to all owners that they would replace brake pads and rotors at no charge for the first time. Most brakes were running out around the 12k-15k mark. They went to a slightly different pad compound which has lasted longer and doesn't decrease stopping power.

Otherwise, like Greg said, listen for some rattles. There usually is nothing too bad, maybe a minor rattle from the dash or one of the doors. The dealer that I have worked with was very good about addressing the rattles that I had.

Another thing to look for is uneven tire wear. Some of the coupes were set up a little more agressively and resulted in some early and uneven tire wear. A proper alignment should do the trick to fix it if there is any problem.

Complaints that I have regarding the 03 and early 04 are really minor. The cd player is too slow, it takes quite a while and is pretty loud when changing cd's. But that's not a big deal. The Bose stereo isn't the best quality out there. And I personally feel the car is slightly underpowered, but nothing that a few bolts won't fix.

Some of the interior peices seem a little cheap to me, but they made some improvements along those lines as well with the newer models. If you're a bigger person the seat controls can be a little uncomfortable, but if you're my size (5'9, 160) then it's not really a problem.

The 03 also had an issue with grease streaks on the windows, but there is a TSB out to address that issue as well.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything else.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

How much longer do you want brake pads to last in a performance oriented vehicle??? I make sure that my brakes dont last past 20k . For a car that can stop faster than some ferrari's, ill replace the brake pads.....

But like Ryan said, they changed the formulation so that they dont wear as fast but apparently make any difference in stopping distance... I dont see why its a big deal either, the dealer will replace them for free..... OH noes, id have to go to the dealer and beat around another G35 while my G35 is being worked on!!

IM not pointing fingers but people go out of their way to complain and whine about stuff..... The G35 is a fabulous car and will give you lots of trouble free miles, but there is never any free lunch....

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”