G35 Electrical Issue

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
slice235
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe

Hopefully someone can offer some guidance on an electrical issue I am experiencing with my 2008 Infiniti G35 crossover. There seems to be an electrical short which is tripping the fuse for the driver power seat, cabin lights, and power rear view mirrors. I ride a ferry to work each day and usually move my driver power seat back and down to relax so the power seat is being used daily. After replacing the fuse the seat, lights, and mirrors operate fine for a day or two then the fuse trips again. I have disconnected all devices from the internal outlets but the fuse keeps tripping. My local mechanic is trying to find the source which may be the driver power seat, but he says he would have to rip apart the wiring harness under the seat to test which would take hours. Before we commit to this work, has anyone experienced this issue or have an idea of other things we should look at. Want to avoid taking this to the dealer as it will most likely be very costly.

Thank you in advance.

slice235
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe

My bad. I use to own an sweet G35, but this is an issue with my EX35 crossover. Any advice is welcomed.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

slice235 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:38 pm
...... or have an idea of other things we should look at. Want to avoid taking this to the dealer as it will most likely be very costly.

Thank you in advance.
Excessive moisture on the ferry?
Defective seat?
Get an estimate from the dealer.
Perhaps a defective seat is covered under the warranty?
or
The dealer has previously seen the problem and knows what to check first?
Perhaps you'll be surprised and not have to bend over and hold your ankles?

Telcoman

QCtech
Car: 2003 Pathfinder LE

If you know how to use a multimeter and have some patience, you can go by the manual and test every connector yourself. It is not that difficult and you dont have to "rip the harness apart". Just go to the connector and measure each cable. In page SE-17 on the service manual in the manual section of this website, it shows the electrical diagram. You can disconnect the harness at the BCM and at junction B10/B411 and measure for continuity. You can do the same for the ground following the diagram. That chapter and the general chapter at the beginning of the manual shows you how to interpret the schematics and where to measure. Remember to disconnect the battery negative terminal before doing any work and to disconnect the BCM connector and all the other connectors following the route to the seat. Measure the switch and follow the cable in the areas of the seat where the cable will bend or kink. The dealer will do exactly the same and if they dont have time, they would just want to install a new seat. In that case, buy it used in good condition from a yard or CL. Also, what fuse are you changing? Because I dont see a fuse that is exclusively for the motors in the power seat, it all comes from the BCM. (at least on the SE section of the manual). If you are having cabin lights and mirrors, I would look for a bad ground to the BCM, and not only for the seat. Have you added or changed anything lately like a radio or anything that could have been grounded in a wrong place? The ground for the BCM shows to be at junction M95. so you could check that ground first. In case that there is a short in the seat itself that is shorting the fuse thru the BCM, then check first the junctions of both lifting motors fwd and aft, and the sliding motor. These are all identified in the manual and you should lose the nuts at the base so you can move the seat back or side and see all the motors and cables clearly.Page SE-20 of the manual shows B436,B437,B438 as the junctions for those motors and all of them are connected to a common ground. Hope this helps.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”