G35 Coupe Excessive Oil Consumption

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
KGJ7
Car: 2005 G35 Coupe

I was just told by the Service Manager at Infiniti that they did not have a solution to this problem once Infiniti finalizes the fix for this problem they will let me know. Oh and I should keep my oil full (DUH) because when it is 1 quart low it will rattle like a diesel. Anybody else have this problem?

JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

Yup, but it sounds like they're feeding you full of bull. Scottsdale Infiniti told me that if there is an oil consumption problem, they'll initiate a test. They'll do an oil change and seal everything off. Then, you take it back at 1k, 2k, and 3k miles (or so). At those points, they'll see how much oil it is burning. If it is 'excessive', the engine will need to be replaced.

I'm doing something similar to that. However, my service writer and technician KNOW that my car is burning oil excessively. They both talked to Infiniti Tech hotline and pushed to go ahead and have my engine replaced. However, they said that I still need to do an oil consumption test. But, I only have to take it back one time, either when the oil light comes on or 3750 miles pass. My service writer basically told me that my engine is going to get replaced, eventually.

-Jerome

KGJ7

I already had the engine replaced with a short block. The excessive oil consumption started right away. I noticed it at 5,000 miles. Finally after going through the hoops I got the short block. I thought, cool, problem solved.

NOT THE CASE. It did not solve the problem. I took it back because it was knocking at 1 quart low. That is when the service manager told me that they did not have a solution but keep the oil full until they finalized a solution. Now that is quality service.

I am now seeking legal to fight for me. Also there are many, many, many people that are having the same problem with G35 6 mt. Sounds like a lot of us have grounds for a nice class action. There is a site called G35driver.com with a huge thread on this excessive oil consumption issue.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

KG37

I feel your pain. There are many posts on this topic. In short, my oil consumption (2006 6 sp sedan) dropped from 1 qt/ 1000 mi to 1 qt /2000 mi at 21k miles. At 27k miles it dropped to 1/2 qt per 2000 mi.

My advice for what its worth is to check your oil frequently and keep in mind that the L mark on the flimsy Infiniti dip stick is two quarts low. I have always added oil when the dip stick showed the oil level half way between full and the L mark. I also initially used 10w-30 and am using 5w-30 now that the oil consumption has reduced. I also change oil & Infiniti filter every 3k - 3500 mi myself.

Telcoman

KGJ7

Excessive Oil Consumption seems to be a problem with some Altimas, Nissan 300Zs and G35s. I believe it is not a problem that can be solved at this time even with a new engine. My car cannot be less than a quart low without me having to put more oil in. I cannot drive my car long distances as there will likely be a problem.

I was told, by Infiniti, to keep my engine at a full level (DUH) so that I won't hear that knocking sound. That is not an acceptable answer to my problem. Unfortunately I have had to take other means and now have a third party sending a letter to the manufacturer to get this resolved. It is out of the dealers hands at this point. I wish Infiniti could have taken a more proactive approach. I was told by legal counsel that this is common with certain Infiniti/Nissan cars.

Rooster Cogburn
Car: 2006 G35

I have the same issue, had the engine replaced once, did the same thing. It's currently in the shop getting a new redesigned engine thats not supposed to have the oil problems now. Will see when I get it back.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

I will be driving 3k miles in the next couple of weeks. With 28k miles now on my 2006 G35 sedan 6 sp manual, I will be monitoring its oil consumption very carefully. I will post both gas and oil consumption results. Stay tuned

Telcoman

wkim711
Car: 06 G35 Sedan 6MT

telcoman wrote:KG37

My advice for what its worth is to check your oil frequently and keep in mind that the L mark on the flimsy Infiniti dip stick is two quarts low. I have always added oil when the dip stick showed the oil level half way between full and the L mark. I also initially used 10w-30 and am using 5w-30 now that the oil consumption has reduced. I also change oil & Infiniti filter every 3k - 3500 mi myself.

Telcoman
i thought it was one quart low at the L mark i check my oil in the morning before i start my car cause it is a pain in the *** to do it after letting the engine sit for a while cause of the dip stickwhen it gets about half way between the l and h i put a half quart in and at the next check it is at the h mark on the dipstick

telcoman you should try putting in a half bottle at a timeif you fill it to much it might not show on the dipstickand can cause damage to the engine

KGJ7

Good advice. That is more than I got from Riverside Infiniti. I will have to keep a check on this until every thing is settled. Since now it will be my fault for not keeping the engine "Full" at all times.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”