G35 Brake Lights Will Not Turn Off - Rubber Bumper Is Not The Issue

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
Camaro38369
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35 6MT

Hi,

I have an issue with my 2004 Infiniti G35 6MT. The other day the brake lights went on and won't turn off. After quite a bit of online research, I saw most people had the issue of the rubber bumper falling off that pushes in the stop light switch under the steering column. So I checked this and it was broken to pieces on the floor. I thought this would be an easy fix by putting a bolt in the hole, but first I wanted to see if the brake lights went off when I pushed the button. I slipped two quarters in between and went to check the lights and they are still on. I then thought the switch itself was broken. I removed this switch and tested it with a multi-meter and it is working properly. I even jumped the open connector with a spare wire and still the lights are on.

Maybe I'm missing something easy here. It seems highly unlikely that the rubber bumper would fall off at exactly the same time as an electrical issue arose. Also, the ABS, VDC Off and Slip lights turn on after driving down the road for 5 minutes. I was thinking that this was because the computer thinks that I am driving down the freeway with my brake pedal pushed in. One other symptom that arose several months ago is that the cruise control will not engage. I checked the clutch switch for this and the rubber bumper is intact on this, so I do not know why the cruise control is broken.

If anyone can help, please let me know.

Thanks for your time,

Brandon

Camaro38369

Ok, it was a simple solution. Being that I have a clutch, I assumed that the cruise control switch was moved to the clutch. There is a cruise switch on both the clutch and brake pedal. The brake switch was just higher up into the dash and I could not see it. I pushed that button and the lights went off.

Thanks!

Camaro38369

I will add one more thing to this in case anyone else is troubleshooting this problem. Make sure that if you remove either of these switches that when you put them back in they are not holding the brake pedal from coming all the way back up. If your rubber bumper is gone and you remove and reinstall the switch, it will re adjust the switch to be further in. If you put a bolt in there after this, the brake pedal will not return all the way back. This will cause your brakes to lock up. I found this out in the Lowe's parking lot after installing the bolts.

Thanks,

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Thanks for the information. Should be helpful to others.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”