G20 Ck Eng: Trans Sensor

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
diceg20
Car: shifter kart racing

Gee...just came over here after posting on .com board. Don't know which to use. ?? Anyway, can someone give me direction. Check engine light been on for month or so. Motor runs fine. Finally got checked...."trans sensor malfunction PRND" or siomething like that. Should I do anything about this? What problem could it cause with ECU function if not getting data from manual trans? Got 120k on this '95 G20t 5-spd.

Professor_Mike

Need to know exactly what the code was. Also was the code in the engine and transmission ECU's?

diceg20

Don't know code....got it on a readout from hand-held LCD unit that plugged in and that's about all I recall (100 degrees in a AutoZone parking lot).

Pulled cover and tried to reset ECU (clockwise to stop 2 seconds, then counterclockwise to stop) just in case it had "fixed" itself. Came back on. Followed procedure listed on SE-R.net. Couldn't follow instructions for reading flashes - instructions not clear and the list of problem codes didn't have any "translation" to flashes.

Would appreciate help in diagnosing - how to turn screw on ECU to get flash code, how to translate code, what I should do. I'm thinking it's a loose sensor cable opr bad sending unit from trans but don't know how to find it.

Could go to Infiniti dealer, I guess, but it is 26 miles from where I work, pain in the but to get rides, don't get free loaners anymore. :help

Stoneage_Turbo
Car: just about anything

the sensor for the reverse light would come off sometimes killing the reverse lights , maybe something similar happens with the Gs revers sensor and the comptuer sees it , or maybe thats not the right ecu in there maybe its out of a slush box ? just a couple ideas i havent had the problem yet in my 96 G so i cant say much yet .

since its a 5 speed like mine i dont remeber seeing too many wires leaveing the tranny , just stuff for the speedo (that works right?) and stuff for reverse lights . almost thinking the computer is trying to find its old automatic tranny or something like that or a short somewhere maybe a bad ground ,clean the battery terminals? thats made a few problems for me when i have dirty battery terminals .

just throwiung stuff out here , id like to know what it is so when i have that problem.....

diceg20

Thanks for "throwing" stuff around. It keeps me thinking. Everything seems to be running fine. May have to just break down and pay the Infiniti dealer $90/hr to look at it and probably reconnect a wire or something. Sheesh.....

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

$90 an hour is cheap if you consider buying tools, test equipment, manual and spending a year learning automotive technology then 90 days getting specific training on your model.Based on tuition you would need $30,000 alone not counting lost wages.......333 paid technican hours would totally rebuild the car.

I've spend over 2,000 unpaid hours getting where I am and need double that as there are big holes in my knowledge.Being an expert on a 13-10 year old car has few advantages certainly you couldn't make a living repairing just 90-93 Q or G or M.A tech needs 50 hours per week and the average repair is 2.2 hours and you see a car 2-3 times per year at best so you need 1200 cars per year......500-600-700 individual car owners.With 3,000 Q in Georgia and 70 technicans [5 dealers plus independents capable of working on some parts of them........the average tech sees 40-50 per year or less than 1/10 of what he needs to make a living.Our techs might deal with 5 times that number.

diceg20

Q45....calm down. I understand your point and don't disagree. I've followed your posts on the boards for the last couple of years and always appreciated your knowledge and advice. I also don't agree when some booger slams you for your relationship with a repair business down in Atlanta or somewhere. Just like I didn't like TJ being run off the boards because he was repping Scottsdale...who always treats me fair with prices and helped diagnose problems.

I'm really not trying to avoid paying someone fairly to fix this. It's just a monumental hassle for me to go to dealer distance-wise....plus the cost of a rental car to get to work is a little galling after being pampered with free loaners by the dealer for the first three Infinitis I owned (still have J30).

Besides, I thought one of reasons for these mechanical boards was to help DIY guys like me DIY.

I reread my post. Still don't see what set you off. Prefer you put your donated and respected energy towards giving me a little repair advice. Thanks.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

I think Dennis (Q45tech) was just giving a business perspective of what is invovled in maintaining a facility to properly service a particular brand of car.

You could spend all your time tracing the harness and checking all connections, or buy a Consult and a manual. It is your choice.

Usually the best choice (unless one has a lot of time, a lot of cash to repair a mistake, the proper tools and sufficient knowledge) is to purchase the expertise one lacks.

Professor_Mike

Without the proper tester the procedure to check codes is involved. Can you get a manual to perform the procedure? It is more than turning the screw on the ECU. Without the proper code everyone is guessing on the repair.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”