G1, your opinions? Owners input greatly appreciated

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

I need a new phone really soon. I have T-Mobile. I've had my Moto V360 for something like 3 1/2 years now and it's on its last leg. I drop calls, it wont ring on the 'Loud' setting anymore, it doesnt display the names of half the people in my phonebook, the memory card wont read, the screen has a bad connection so it goes black and I have to press the side of the screen...etc etc. I need a new phone really bad.

So I've been looking at the G1 and I think this may be the next phone for me. I want a nice phone this time (the most expensive phone I have had was my V360 which was $20 with the 2 year.) I'm not trying to make this phone last 3 1/2 years, as long as it makes 1 or 2 years with no problems I would be happy. What are your opinions on the G1? Owners, what do you like about the phone? What do you hate?

Razi
Car: Moo

I'm wondering about this as well, I'm in a need of a new phone and I'm interested in the G1.

Maybe CodeRed will chime in, he has the Android logo as his avatar so maybe he has a G1?

xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

A little late for checking in, but I did end up buying the G1 shortly after creating this thread. I've had it for close to two months now and I love the thing. The screen is very nice and just the right size for me. The display is vibrant and the colors are good. The touch screen is very responsive and seems to be accurate. The phone could use some more apps, but the ones that are available are very cool. I'm just very happy with the phone.

t321321

i'm curious how does this compare to the iphone...? I use a 3g iphone with TMO but I would prefer to have a TMO g1 so I can use their 3g internet.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Just now seeing this thread...

But anyway, I've got a G1 too. I've had it for about 6 months or so now, and I freaking love it. I can't really compare it to the iPhone since I've never had an iPhone, but from what I've seen it's pretty much equally as good. However, I love the idea that its open source and iPhone isn't.

The are a few complaints about the G1, but they are minor. The GPS is flaky as hell and sometimes will give completely wacky readings. It's fine once it's connected to a satellite, but sometimes it takes forever to find one, and in the mean time, it jumps all over the place.

Also, it does not support Microsoft Exchange pre 2007. There is an app out now that supports all versions of exchange, but its still in beta testing. I have it, but there are still a lot of bugs with it since its still in Beta. Also, it does not have turn by turn navigation. The mapping it does is awesome since it pulls down live Googlemaps data as you move, but the lack of turn by turn navigation kinda stinks. There is an app called AndNav that has turn by turn for European countries but it doesn't currently support North America. The guy who created it got in trouble for violating the TOS with google so he had to change it so that it uses some other mapping data, and not Google.

They are supposed to be rolling out the new firmware update this week (aka the Cupcake update). Apparently it's already been released in Europe and we should be seeing it any day here. It adds things like on-screen keyboard, two finger zoom (like the iphone), and a few other cool new features. Overall, the awesomeness of the phone completely outweighs the few downsides of it.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”