FYI - GROM VLine2; Timeline of Upgraded Version in 2021/2022

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
mrjarhead
Car: Infiniti M35h

FYI for anyone that has a Vline2 module from GROM or is thinking of one. This module has been to me needing to be upgraded 2 years now given that it runs Android 8.1 and we are about to see Android 12 released, native wireless Android Auto over 5ghz wifi is now a "free" feature for the Android/Android Auto ecosystem with recent OS versions, and so on.

Sharing some info I got from a few emails with Grom support early this year. Hopefully these upgrades come soon, especially given the prices are ridiculous now for such old hardware and a now-ancient OS version. No word on whether faster hardware with an upgrade to 4GB RAM from 3GB is on the way either.

Anyone else heard anything newer / more in depth than below? Thx

Wireless Android Auto Support:
We plan on supporting it in the future, however at this time it is not supported.
Our road map is to swap to Android 10 for the VLine OS, support phone calls over Android Auto, and then support Wireless Android Auto.
It's planned to launch (Android 10) over the next 3-4 months however it mainly just depends on how stable it is and what, if any, bug we have to overcome.

What is the charging rate over the current USB port when connected for Android Auto:
It has tested at 1.5A for Android Auto Charging as far as we have seen.

(For those unfamiliar, VLine2 an Android-based infotainment upgrade module you add to your existing M37/Q70/M35h infotainment system, and utilizes the AUX input for audio and video. You retain original factory equipment and backup camera. Adds Android Auto and CarPlay as well. https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/nissa ... grade.html )https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/nissa ... grade.html

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Wireless AA is already a thing and that's the only feature that I was lacking. It takes about 10-15 seconds from VLine start for my WAA to fire up. It would be nice if they fixed the audio/video sync issue when using stuff like YouTube TV/YouTube but I don't use my VLine for that so it's not a deal breaker. Would just be cool while getting fast food and eating in the car.

For me personally, the only reason why I got it is for Android Auto and Waze. It's already paid for itself by warning me of cops so I'm sure I've avoided a few tickets.

mrjarhead

Great, so you confirm that WAA is already active on the current vline2 hardware? Did it come with an OS update to Android 10?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

No, it is still on 8.1 but yes, WAA is working fine. It was a patch/update to the VLine like 2-3 months ago.

mrjarhead

Great thanks for the info.

Whether It was a patch to the os, or it was something that Google pushed through normal updates to Google Play Services framework and the Android Auto client app, good to hear it's already active.

I'm interested in seeing the Android 10 release, as it should improve performance especially with background tasks active, i e running TomTom or Google Maps navigation while Spotify is streaming, in the non-Android auto or carplay mirroring scenario where you're using the native capabilities of the V line2 module.

Should get a bit more life out of the existing CPU, especially given the current CPU shortage. One more GB of RAM would definitely help though, but who knows what they have in store.

Ilya

It was patched in by GROM, not Google. Android is an open source system so it's pretty much up to GROM what they will or won't enable on it.

I used to use my VLine with hotspot enabled and running the apps natively and I also didn't have any issues. I would run Waze + YouTube Music + an EQ app. I could also run Pushbullet at the same time to send myself addresses and such. No issues. Personally if this thing never got updated I'd be fine :). You may be asking too much from the system.

Yoda's Master
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z

it doesn't really matter if grom is on 8.1 or 10. you won't see any difference

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”