FX tire pressure warning problem

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
cpto

A couple of weeks ago the temperature dropped close to freezing. At the same time the tire pressure warning light came on. The control panel indicator showed all tires at 25 or above but also warned that I had a flat tire. All tires looked (and tested) good exterally.

Called the dealer and was told that this was the fifth complaint they had. I had to drive to the dealer and wait 45 minutes while a mechanic reset "something." The service department couldn't tell me if this would happen again as the temperature bounces around going into winter.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the problem, and if anyone knows if there will be a fix.

Thanks.

C

SmithSR
Car: 240sx

WELCOME TO NICO!!

VERY interesting! Many newer vehicles of several makes/models carry various types of tire pressure sensor. Most all vehicles that I have seen and/or worked on had specific instructions in the owner's manual, that explains how to reset this computer sensor. This would be so if you did have a flat tire, got the tire repaired, you could then reset the unit on your own.

I'm having to assume this is what they reset for you.... unless it was a glitch with the computer that could not be fixed by simply resetting the tire pressure sensor computer.

Definitely check and recheck the manual, or ask the dealer if there is a reset button or other control that you can operate on your own. (most cars, if not all, are set up so the owner can reset)

NISTECH

25 psi is below the point at which the warning light will be triggered. We have been seeing a few lately at our dealer do to the drop in tempature. Here's the repair we have been performing.

Reset the tire pressure to factory specs and drive it around the auto mall till the light goes off. usually by the time we reach the end of the drive way its out. tire pressure fluctuates with ambient temp. so the colder it gets the lower your tire pressure will be( when not driving it) if your light comes on again hit the gas station and bring your tire up to spec.

There is a fairly new fedral saftey standard set on car manufactures with gradual implementation. By model yr 2005 all car manufactures must have tire pressure moniters in no less then 10% of its production line in the US. by model yr 2010 or 2012(cant remember the exact yr cause california smog laws have a requirement in one of those 2 yrs so I get them mixed up) 100% of the vehicles in their production lines in the US must have the moniter.

cpto

Thanks for the replies. In response to your comments, in order,

1. My Infiniti dealer told me that there was no fix I could do. I had to bring the vehicle in for a technicianl to reset the warning. There was no user intervention available.

2. I was wondering if there was some "key" low pressure level, so I filled the tires to 31 psi (at 45 degrees ambient) and drove around a bit. The tire pressure indicators in the FX showed about 3 psi less than my external gauge, but never dropped below indicating 27. Over the next three days of driving, the warning never reset.

I hope Infiniti comes up with a fix. If this is a recurring problem, owners might get tired pretty fast of visiting their dealer. Worse, we might just get around to ignoring the indicator, and that means that it's use as a safety device is nullified.

If you find out an easy was for the owner to reset the indicator I'd really like to find out about it.

Thanks again.

T

NISTECH

there have been a couple of quests that have gone to sleep on us and that required us to use a special tool to reset it. but as i said earlier most where just fill the tire and drive it around the block. you may have been one of those sleepers.

SmithSR
Car: 240sx

Any other FX owners have similar problems??

cpto

Hi Nistech. Well, the problem happened again when the temperature fell below freezing and the tire pressure dropped (once) below 25 on the Infiniti monitor. It didn't reset, so back to the dealer. The dealer said that the indication should have been "low tire pressure" and not "flat tire."

They reset it but I'm not happy with their "solution." They pumped the tires up to 32 lbs (1 above the recommended) and I suspect that a warming trend or extended driving will raise it a few more pounds.

Rick

NISTECH

you will be ok with that pressure most tire shops use that setting as a standard. BTW had a new armada come in with the tire pressure light coming on after 2 hrs of driving. when trying to veiw the tire pressure in the information center they were not registering. had to perform the same procedure they are doing to your FX. it went through ok with no problems. tires al registered after i used the id remote to wake them up.

Jax826

I went to snowboarding today..and this happens to my FX too. The pressure monitor warning light went on...Something else also annoys me too. The pressure monotir in the on-board computer didn't indicate which pressure is for which tires. It didn't say it in the owner manual either ...

NISTECH

as of right now the only cars that come close to identifing which tire is flat or low is the z and g and they only indicate front or rear. I believe its that way so the customer or and after market shop can rotate the tires without worrying about resetting the system. the g and z tires cant be rotated so it is allowable on that vehicle.

edinaman
Car: old cars

I had the same problem last week. The temp in Minneapolis dropped below zero at night, and was in the single digits during the day. I tried to ignore the light for a day or two. Who wants to be out in this weather putting air in the tires, especially when I didn't know which tire or tires were low. It was so cold that I just put in air for a few second in each tire and figured when it warms up this weekend I will check the pressure. By the time I drove out of the gas station, the light went out. This next week it is supposed to turn cold again. I hope I don't go through this again.

stuart

I have a 2004 Murano SE that is giving me and Nissan big headaches, The tire warning light comes on as well as the information screen beeps and tells me that my tires a low. This is great as this is how it should work, it shows each tire and what air pressure is in them. Well the tires should be 33 psi, it has been cold so the warning light and the buzzer,and screen comes on shows flat tire then each tire with 27psi 27psi 26psi 27psi. Fill tires up to 33psi, then use a digital tire gauge that is dead accurate. The screen says only 30psi,dealer puts tires up to 36psi and tells me to drive it, the screen show 33psi no buzzer no warning light. Great now my teeth and head bounce around like a nodding doll. Today the temperature was warmer and my tire pressure on screen show 40psi, drop it to 33psi and it works ok. But my point to Nissan is when it gets cold i have to put 36psi in the tires to stop all my problems and the ride is awful, there responce is we do not have a fix.::

NISTECH

yea they will though. I am sure some time in the near future with all these tire pressure moniter problems that are plauging the dealers now that winter has come. They will have a program or control unit swap TSB to address this issue. they will probably lower the waring psi to prevent it from coming on under extreme cold.Future models will probably get a unit that looks at the ambient temp sensor in the car and if the temp is still very cold in there it knows you havent driven the car yet and will not allow the tire warning system to work till the temp has come up in the interior. this is mearly a guess as to how they will address this. but I agree with you I am a tech at a dealer and I have seen a rash of concerns about this. so i do see some sort of fix coming soon to a dealer near you.

Mike Netzel

Hello!I had the same problem.Annoying - especially first thing in the morning when the tires are cold.Dealer said the same thing and did the adustment.No problem since.How about the squeaking drivers seat?There is a "silent recall" on that.:)

NISTECH

not really a silent recall It is a documented one. I believe its mentioned here in a thread.

Mike Netzel

Nistech,Thanks for the correction on the recall.My last converstaion with the dealer was that something was going to be done (tech bulletin, etc) not that something had.Any suggestons on performance enhancements?Standing Corrected,Mike

NISTECH

I dont have any info on performance enhancements. browse through this forum, there have been improvements made by other guys and gals on here, Including exhaust,Intake and such. Have fun with it the FX is a neat toy!!!

Return to “Murano Forum”