FX-35 vs RX300

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
Billyboy

I currently own a 2000 RX300. I just hit 30k. I love the car but it's getting old. I love the QUIET, SMOOTH ride the Lexus is known for and in reading some of the comments on the noise problems(tire related) that the FX seems to have I just wonder if I will hate it if I get one? I also understand that the 2004 ride is supposed to be "softer" then the 2003. I am one of those "over 40" people. I think the FX is the hottest thing on the road and hopefully I won't see myself coming and going (ala RX300). Does anyone know if they (Infiniti) are going to have options on the tires offered (hopefully quieter one's)?

MikeNColo
Car: Love to ride Steam Trains

Hey Billyboy, glad to see someone else over 40 likes the FXs. They (Infiniti and other forum members) say the 18" tires are much quieter, plus they don't come with the sports package, so the suspension is softer. I'd go test drive both 18" & 20" tires before you make any decisions. Also try to find some concrete city streets and freeways to test drive on, they are prone to bumpy rides and tire noise. I think the look of the FXs is hot, the handling is awsome. Good luck on your decisions!

ARH1956

Since you are so impressed by the RX300's QUIET,SMOOTH ride, please stay away from the FX. This is not your grandmother's SUV. I'm 47 myself & love my FX45, it rides similarly to my '03 Z06. I never considered an RX when I bought my FX. The RX is a typical Lexus, comfortable, dependable, & yet BORING. And, as a bonus, with a new RX330, the neighbors won't worry about what you're up to. If you were to buy an FX, it would drive, handle, accelerate, & YES, ride like a SPORT Utility Vehicle. It would still be dependable. But, your neighbors would become nervous, wondering what had possessed you, & why the "Rebel within you" had been set free for God & everybody to see.

Billyboy

I should have been clearer on my possible choice of an FXIt will definitely by the FX35 so I can go for the "softer" ride and hopefully the "quieter" tires.Our other SUV is a BMW X5 which from the sounds of things might be a comparable ride to the FXOh, and by the way I just turned 58 so that put's be way past 40.

MikeNColo
Car: Love to ride Steam Trains

I started out to go test drive the RX330, on impulse stopped at a Infiniti Dealer on the way... I never made it to my appointment at Lexus.

I think the FX is the best of both worlds, and definitely an improvement over the typical SUV (for city driving). The suspension is tighter and has less travel, thus you don't have the roll & pitch of the high center of gravity in a typical SUV.

It can corner very tightly, and has much better accelerator response than my Mountaineer (w/ V8) or GMC ever had.

It's very easy to get into and out of, no folding yourself into a sports car, and yet you don't have to climb way up into a SUV.

You'll never be able to blaze new trails in real deep snow, cross center medians to take shortcuts, or cut through back fields to escape the cops chasing you for that 120 mph speeding ticket, but then how many of us really do that.... LOL

I say go try them, drive your current Lexus for a few days, then go back and test drive them again. I think you will either fall in love with the concept or not.;) And if not, almost all the luxury car manufacturers have car based SUVs now - something for everyone's taste.And isn't most of the fun shopping and looking anyway??Have Fun (and I just turned 50 so I'm not 40's anymore either...),

ARH1956

BillyBoy wrote: our other SUV is a BMW X5 which might be comparable in ride to an FX.

Unless your X5 is a 4.6IS its ride won't be comparable to the FX. My previous X5 4.4, or my ML55AMG were neither comparable to the FX45's ride. The FX35 Non-Sport with the 18" wheels & higher profile tires might meet your expectations for a "softer, gentler" FX. Good luck.

Billyboy

I have had the pleasure to at least sit in the FX just havent gotten around to driving it. My only complaint with the RX300 is that darn center "pod" which is where my right knee needs to be. Very uncomfortable. The FX is loaded with leg room, shoulder and hip room and my knee does not hit the console. It absolutely meets and exceeds interior room for my long legs as I am 6'2.I also happen to be a 30 year General Motors employee. Prior to the Lexus, I owned six GM's in a row being in their employ and trying to do the right thing. After the last two pieces of crap (Old's Bravada and Pontiac mini van) I said no more! I am an inspector at Gm. and maybe I am too pickey but I will not tolerate ,rattles, squeeks , poor fitting panels etc.It is my intention to get to Infiniti and drive one of the "Bionic Cheetea's as they have been called, possibly this weekend. What does everyone think of the Laser Red?

ARH1956

BillyBoy wrote: I also happen to be a 30 year General Motors employee.

I own 2 GM vehicles now, as well as 2 German, 2 Japanese & a Dodge,(1970 Super Bee). My 2 GM's are an '01 Denali XL & an '03 Z06. I've been well pleased with these 2 GM products, no problems & well designed.

newFX gal

Go out and drive one, but don't drive the 45 first! You will be spoiled. I am still in the process of getting one, I am a hold out for the white. Not sure about getting the 45 or 35, there are still way too many 2003's to be sold here in San Diego...worries me a bit...why did they not sell??? I am being cautious, do you think they will hold their value as other models in the Infiniti line?

YSWEATME
Car: Infiniti FX 35 Sport Package, Honda Accord EX, Ford Mustang GT, Honda CBR 600 F4

Billyboy wrote:...I owned six GM's in a row being in their employ and trying to do the right thing. After the last two pieces of crap (Old's Bravada and Pontiac mini van) I said no more!

I know how you feel Billyboy. I don't work for Ford, but I owned an Eddie Bauer Explorer before my FX. I kept it in great condition, but had nothing but problems with it. I had to return it to the dealer the day I got it because of problems. And they never stopped. I honestly believed each time would be the last time, but it never was. Although I've only had my FX a few months, I'm very pleased with it. I guess Ford is speaking to me in their commercials now. "If you haven't looked at a Ford lately...look again."

dongdong

I drove RX300 (2000 model) for four years. I also like RX300 quiet, soft and compact feeling. However, I bought my FX35 3 months ago, because the style and space.

Fairly compare these two SUVs, I have to say each one has their own merits and defects. I am 50 years young, still prefer RX300's quietness. However, RX300 is a little bit too bore for me. FX35 the look and feel are much younger than RX300.

AfterFX

We sold our 2000 RX300 after 4 years of ownership. This was my Wife's primary ride, simply put, it was just too damn boring.

Return to “Murano Forum”