Funny how I always come here for advice on my next car

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
OriginalWheelman
Car: '15 Ford Focus Electric

Hello Everyone. It's been a long time! 2 years with the Electric Focus and counting! I sold the Toyota for a modest profit!

The Toyota brings me to why I'm looking for a new car. I sold it because life changed and I need different things from a vehicle. Life has me at a place where I need a highway vehicle. I need to be able to travel long distances without killing my back. I have a whole new coast to explore and I want to take advantage of that. I'd also like to be able to head back to the East coast for my sister's wedding this August. I have the time, so I'd like to drive. I need room for some stuff since I'm going to be going on trips. I'm thinking a wagon or SUV would be best.
This is where I'm running into a problem. It's hard to get an SUV with decent MPG. I am going to be driving it a lot. All over Oregon, Coast to coast, up and down the coast. I also don't want to buy new. This has me thinking about a diesel, but options are limited. It's hard to find something that fits my wants that isn't a European car. I've been toying with the notion of a BMW Diesel, but I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to European cars. At this point, I think I'm willing to take the leap and learn, but I don't want to make a bad purchase, be out a lot of cash, and regret the experience. I'd like to keep costs down, but I'm always willing to pay more for quality and dependability.

For simplicity, I'll make a list of what I'm looking for:
1. Comfort. Very important.
2. Efficiency. I'm gonna be driving a lot. I can see myself putting 200k miles on this.
3. Dependability / Availability of parts. I don't want to be stuck in Nebraska waiting 2 weeks for an alternator.
4. Space. Need to take up to 3 other adults and some stuff. I could live with a trunk w/ enough space.
5. Cost. I'd like to keep the purchase price as low as possible. I don't really have a fixed range as I don't know what I should be buying. Options?

So I'm lost. Adrift on an unfamiliar sea. But I know I can trust NICO to give me a variety of ideas and opinions!

krimsonviper
Car: 2010 MS3 -PAID
2010 Mazda 3i Touring -Totaled
2006 Mazda 3i Sport -Totaled
1989 S13 -Sold
1990 S13 -Sold

Look into a Mazda ;)

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I was just going to say, Mazda CX-5.

OriginalWheelman

Now I wasn't expecting you to recommend the Mazda too. I really don't like SUVs. I've driven a CX-3 and I didn't care for it. The lane departure drove me nuts as soon as I hit a back road. I was yelling at it before I got back to the dealership. My biggest problem with car based SUV's is they are essentially station wagons anyway. I find the concept annoying. Station wagons died to the SUV/Minvan era. Then SUVs tried to get more 'car like' to appease customers' complaints about handling, and now all we have are station wagons masquerading as SUVs. /rant.

*Edit* I can find 5 year old 328d for ~$25k. It also does 43 mpg vs the 30 that the MX-5 gets. That's 43% better MPG.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Yup, but diesel, and not as much cargo capacity.
I think you can get those in a stick though.

Pento240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 1981 Datsun 210 Deluxe, 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima Deluxe and 1999 Infiniti Q45t.

To me these cars are fun to drive and have a great cargo space. You could always put a roof rack for extra stuff.
Cadillac CTS-V (2006-2014)
Infiniti Q35/Q37
Infiniti FX50

OriginalWheelman

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:04 am
Yup, but diesel, and not as much cargo capacity.
I think you can get those in a stick though.
I've owned two diesel trucks. I don't see why a diesel car is such a bad thing. I mean, I'm cruising the highway, not going to track days. I always hear they are underpowered, but are they really that bad?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Oh no, they really aren't bad at all... but diesel is more expensive than gas and sometimes more hard to come by in certain areas.

Jesda

Modern BMWs are garbage. The engines and transmissions are fine. It's the other ancillary s*** (cooling, fuel systems, electrical) that will drive you insane. I'm planning on getting rid of my 328 soon.

Also, BMW's DEF tank has a sensor that regularly goes bad. The sensor itself cant be replaced so the whole tank has to be replaced -- $2500-$3000, half parts and half labor.

DO NOT BUY A MODERN BMW. The good old days of the E46 are over.

A base CX5 would be ideal if they still offered a manual. Otherwise Kia's CUVs may surprise you with their silky smooth and torquey engines (V6), nice interiors, and clean styling. I'd recommend a Korean car to anyone.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

fwiw, I have a friend with an early 335d that I got some time on track in at NJ Motorsports Park. I was pleasantly surprised how torquey and fun it was. He eventually switched to something more track appropriate (Miata), but kept the diesel for DD use. Another drawback is the DEF systems in the newer diesel models (cars and trucks) make them more unnecessarily complex than they should be and more prone to needing repair which negates the mileage advantage. So I'm not convinced a newer diesel is the best way to go for a passenger car in the US. Truck, different story.

If your criteria includes making 200K, and are thinking new/fairly new, that pretty much works against most European and American makes as you probably don't want them that long without a warranty. That leaves Japanese and Korean marques for having more options. I agree with Jesda that Kia has some very compelling offerings.

I did a long drive in a CX-5 fwd base model a few months ago. Not bad at all, not sure about the back seat comfort but the front was okay. Pleasant car. If you're looking for a sedan, the 6 isn't bad either. If you're seeking new, you might check out the new Kia Stinger. Big sexy sedan that supposedly handles well. Looks very promising. I haven't been in one yet. If you're looking for a traditional reasonably comfortable roomy reliable SUV new or used to gobble miles, that you don't intend to ever take off road, I know Jesda might cringe, but a Toyota Highlander is not a bad choice. It's above average reliability track record cannot be ignored. Problem is that It's not exciting to an enthusiast, it's essentially a Camry underneath. If you do have off road fantasies, a 4 Runner might be better, but they're not as quite comfortable on really long road trips. I admit to having a 4 runner bias. I loved mine, and put a quarter million miles on it.

Something different to consider: old Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. dirt cheap, very comfortable for long trips, trunk can hold several dead hookers plus luggage, comparatively simple, you'll get an honest 20mpg, it's Rwd, and other drivers will still move over for you thinking you're a cop. ;)

OriginalWheelman

Well that makes a lot of sense. I've looked on BMW forums but all I see is 'THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE, RAWR" or "OMG THE REPAIRS!" Wasn't too helpful. Maybe I'll give the CX-5 another drive but I fell like I wouldn't enjoy it long term. 30 mpg highway isn't that hard to get out of some bigger cars however, that would be a lot less boring when I'm not on the highway. Let's be honest, if all I cared about was mileage I'd be driving a Golf Diesel. Tesla doesn't offer anything cheap enough or readily available enough to consider. Guess I'll take another look at my options. I'm not looking to buy a car tomorrow anyways.
Bubba1 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:08 am
Truck, different story.
Oh? If we're gonna talk 30mpg than trucks seem to be in the equation. I loved my Toyota, and I wouldn't mind a Tundra if I'm honest.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

If you're thinking of putting 200k on your new ride, I'd definitely walk away from BMW, Mercedes or Audi.
No way those cars get you to 200k without a lot of pain in the wallet.
If the CX-5 isn't quite your cup of tea, take the Mazda 6 for a drive.
I just bought a fully loaded 2017 Mazda6 GT, and it's a great car. Loads of trunk space, and very comfortable for 4 adults.
The 2017's should be available with lots of incentives, as the the new 2018 refresh was just unveiled at the LA show.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Yeah and no Tundra ever will get you 30mpg.
You'd need to get into one of those dodge ecodiesel thingamababobs for that, and those engines BLOW with a capital B.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:43 pm
Yeah and no Tundra ever will get you 30mpg.
You'd need to get into one of those dodge ecodiesel thingamababobs for that, and those engines BLOW with a capital B.
fwiw. By truck for diesel, I was not referring to small passenger focused stuff. More like bigger stuff, like 10K+ gvw. trucks you need a DOT medical card at minimum to drive. That's when diesels begin to look more competitive.

OriginalWheelman

Gotcha. I know the Tundra isn't going to get 30 mpg. I just said I want one. :) If it did what I need I would buy one. I'm gonna keep looking. I'm not in a a hurry. I'm just trying to decide what I need, so I can go research and find a good one. I'll do some more looking around.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

Toyota CHR looks interesting. Don't know much about them, but it seems to be their answer to the Juke.

lne937s
Car: 2012 Nissan Juke SL AWD

Desert Rat wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 pm
Toyota CHR looks interesting. Don't know much about them, but it seems to be their answer to the Juke.
It is heavier, only available with FWD and has ~50 fewer horsepower... More of a competitor for the upcoming Kicks or HRV.

There really isn't anything non-premium, subcompact, ~200hp turbocharged with true torque vectoring to compete with the Juke. Upcomming Hyundai Kona and Kia Stonic are probably closest.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Desert Rat wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 pm
Looks interesting, but that's about it apparently.
Watched and read a few reviews, and they are not very complementary.
Toyota just mailed this one in.
Cheap and cramped interior, crappy visibility and grossly under powered, with a CVT no less.
Just no.

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

We have a 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD and I can't say enough good things about it. Lane departure warnings can be easily turned off with the press of a button. It is honestly the anti-CUV compared to everything else I drove in it's segment. It handles very well and is actually pretty fun to drive. It only makes 184hp with the 2.5, but it makes good use of it and always seems to be in the right gear when you want to drive more aggressively.

The downsides are the fuel economy isn't as good as I'd hoped for something it's size - only about 24mpg average and maybe 27 or so highway. The infotainment system can be a little annoying if you have navigation. It just isn't very refined at all. The newer ones have a whole different system though. It is roomy for what it is and is fairly comfortable on long trips. Cargo space is kinda limited, but we have two kids and have to take a lot of stuff with us. That's it though - I honestly would buy one again without hesitation. It's that good.

I drove EVERYTHING else in the segment and the only thing that came close is the Ford Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost. Only because it was a lot quicker and had a lot more features. The Rogue is probably the roomiest out there and the most comfortable, but is just bland and boring to drive.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

The latter part of 2017, I was on a quest for a replacement for the Speed3. There was nothing wrong with it at all other than the fact that my granddaughters' car seats wouldn't fit in it. Yes, that was a deal breaker for me so I went shopping. The only requirements were a manual trans, 4 doors, and a back seat big enough for 2 car seats. I drove every new sedan on the market that fit the bill, for <$30K. I ended up in a 4 year old Xterra Pro-4X with 30K on the clock. It was the only thing I drove that I didn't find something I hated. The only thing I gave up was MPG and I truly couldn't give two s*** about that anymore. I want to be comfortable. The Xterra fit the bill, I love it.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

I would suggest renting cars you think you might be interested in and drive them for a week (if the cost isn't awful). That way you can truly experience what it's like without a pushy sales person in the car with you. Might be a good way to keep from ending up in something you hate.

krimsonviper
Car: 2010 MS3 -PAID
2010 Mazda 3i Touring -Totaled
2006 Mazda 3i Sport -Totaled
1989 S13 -Sold
1990 S13 -Sold

nissangirl74 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:33 pm
The latter part of 2017, I was on a quest for a replacement for the Speed3. There was nothing wrong with it at all other than the fact that my granddaughters' car seats wouldn't fit in it. Yes, that was a deal breaker for me so I went shopping. The only requirements were a manual trans, 4 doors, and a back seat big enough for 2 car seats. I drove every new sedan on the market that fit the bill, for <$30K. I ended up in a 4 year old Xterra Pro-4X with 30K on the clock. It was the only thing I drove that I didn't find something I hated. The only thing I gave up was MPG and I truly couldn't give two s*** about that anymore. I want to be comfortable. The Xterra fit the bill, I love it.
You got rid of the MS3? :ohno:

Return to “General Chat”