fuel type stuff

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
FrenchPople
Car: 1983 Datsun 280ZXT 2+2
2016 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Desert Runner 2WD

Good evening gentlemen or weirdo's, whichever we all prefer. so i have my lovely 1983 280zx 2+2 turbo and im having mutipull thoughts in my mind happen. one of them is what would it take to do an e85 setup to this lovely car. now you may be wondering why this idiot would want to do that for no reason and thats ok. i understand that i can loose fuel economy and that there can be power gains if done correctly. i would like to know if anyone here has done it and what it took to get it done. i already understand that a lot of money will take care of it. please any help would be great. thanks

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

You'll most likely want to run an aftermarket stand alone ecu for this conversion. You'll need 30% larger injectors, and and fuel sensor as well as a wideband O2 sensor. Of course you'll also have to replace all the rubber fuel lines and the injector O rings wiht newer compounds that can survive the E85.

If you want to make more power you don't need E85, just add an intercooler and boost controller, you can get up to around 240 whp with that plue intake and exhaust, thats about 100 over stock. That's about where you run out of injector and fuel pump, you'll need to do a stand alone and upgraded head gasket and head studs to get much higher but when you do you're good for another 100 hp gain before the cast pistons give way.

FrenchPople
Car: 1983 Datsun 280ZXT 2+2
2016 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Desert Runner 2WD

Appreciate the advice. Just to make sure was plue a actual brand or was that an accidental typo? Also my question is what's the best way to run an intercooler on my 83? The only kit I see available is the cx racing kit and I've already been told that in general cx racing is junk.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Good catch, "plue", should be "plus" as in in addition to, there aren't any off the shelf kits for the intake on the S130. Fortunately the stock air box is already outside the engine compartment so you can leave it where it is just upgrade to a cone filter and appropriate tubing to make your own intake. As for exhaust there are a few boutique manufacturers who've made downpipes to fit the stock turbo and the same people often offer a free flowing exhaust to go with it. MSA (zcarparts.com) was selling them at last check.

An intercooler isn't a sophisticated piece, the problem is I don't think anyone makes a bolt in solution, you'll be left to piece together pipes and couplers to make your own. a vertical flow intercooler is more efficient and due to the intake and exhaust being on the same side of these cars makes for a simpler instal. Treadstone makes some nice pieces for reasonable money.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”