fuel tank reads at half.....then empty..then half

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
morselicious
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Gothem Gray/350K@sold
2009 Toyota Rav4 /sold
2011 Toyota Rav4/sold
2018 Toyota Rav4/sold
2001 Rav4 AWD /Black/ 130K (present car)

I have 2008 SL Rogue. When the tank reads half or lower a strange thing happens. Upon start up the tank will read empty with 10 miles to empty. Then as I drive the car the tank reading starts going up till it reads half full. One time when that happened the car refused to start? After I shut it off and then back on the gauge read a few bars up and the car started. This only happens when the tank is half full.. The first time this happened I thought someone had siphoned fuel from the tank overnight, as I park in the street. But as I drove towards the gas station the fuel returned to the tank. I know via the FSM that I have a tank sender/fuel pump/sensor on board. Question? Do you think that the ethenol in the fuel is causing the float to STICK? Do you think if I remove the fuel sensor and spray the unit with carb cleaner I can get it back in working order? I do have over 200k on the car but I don't think that should be the reason. What does anyone think???

DTASFAB

If you have parts that have to be replaced, you're going to have to replace them. Carb cleaner probably won't be enough.

I'd run a full bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System cleaner (the size bottle that treats up to 20 gallons, I believe this is 20 fl oz) before taking anything apart with the intention of just cleaning stuff and putting it back. When the tank is at least half empty, buy the bottle and go to the gas station. Pour the bottle into the tank, then fill it with gas, and drive at least 300 miles to give the detergent a real chance to clean. Then decide what to do next, based on how it reacts.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

There are 2 sender units in the gas tank. I had mine replaced under warranty at just 30k. I believe these have been a known issue with nissan.
If you are at 200k I would say you need to replace both. The problem is they are in the gas tank so that has to be removed.

morselicious
2009 Toyota Rav4 /sold
2011 Toyota Rav4/sold
2018 Toyota Rav4/sold

darylzero wrote:There are 2 sender units in the gas tank. I had mine replaced under warranty at just 30k. I believe these have been a known issue with nissan.
If you are at 200k I would say you need to replace both. The problem is they are in the gas tank so that has to be removed.
Mr darylzero, just to let you know, Yes the sender units are in the gas tank, BUT they are available by taking out the rear seat. I have already had the seat out and have examined the covers that allow me to get to the sender. There are two senders, the one on the passenger side contains the parts that I need to replace.( if and when?) I just need to get the correct tool to remove the "lock".

morselicious
2009 Toyota Rav4 /sold
2011 Toyota Rav4/sold
2018 Toyota Rav4/sold

DTASFAB wrote:If you have parts that have to be replaced, you're going to have to replace them. Carb cleaner probably won't be enough.

I'd run a full bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System cleaner (the size bottle that treats up to 20 gallons, I believe this is 20 fl oz) before taking anything apart with the intention of just cleaning stuff and putting it back. When the tank is at least half empty, buy the bottle and go to the gas station. Pour the bottle into the tank, then fill it with gas, and drive at least 300 miles to give the detergent a real chance to clean. Then decide what to do next, based on how it reacts.
Mr. DTASFAB, I have approx 3 more gallons to go and I'll be at the half tank spot. I think that your idea has been the best idea yet. I will try the Techron Fuel System Cleaner @ the next fill up. Drive that tank back down to empty and see how it goes. Just to let you all know...I am not one who goes to the dealer to replace parts. I am a backyard mechanic and the factory service manual is used alot to repair my Rogue. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Rogue Forum”