Fuel System/Blinker/Speedometer Questions

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
joes240

I'm thinking of getting a `94 Sentra from a friend; it's a fixerupper, but it's a good price.

He discovered in the fuel tank "a basket like thing where the fuel pump sits in" which was not letting fuel pass through it properly, to fix the problem, he drilled a small hole into the basket-like apparatus and fuel pumped fine, allowing the car to run fine. Another friend of mine was looking at the car for me and said that is not good, that I should get that part (whatever it's called) replaced, otherwise any dirt in the fuel tank could wind up in the injectors. Can anyone give me a second opinion on this, or what the part is called?

Also, the speedometer in the car stopped working one day after he went out and started the car up after it hadn't been started in a few weeks. Is that year Sentra controlled by a speedometer cable or a speed sensor/head?

We also discovered that the front flashers/blinkers sometimes flash alot faster than they're supposed to, and sometimes flash fine... any ideas here?

Thanks in advance for any input folks!

drjohn

The basket type piece in the tank is a baffle to help keep fuel from sloshing away from the fuel pickup when you make turns. A small hole drilled through the housing should not hurt.There should be a sock type filter on the end of the fuel pump pickup to filter out trash in the tank. The fuel filter under the hood also filters the fuel. The speedo uses a speed sensor at the trans. check the connections and your fuses first. The blinker is more likely a ground or connection problem at one of the front signal lamp assemblies.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”