Fuel Sending Unit - Replacement

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
J0B00
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

I'm having the issue with my fuel sender not reporting the correct fuel level and I'm thinking about fixing it myself...

If I'm not mistaken, the unit is accessible from under the rear passenger seat, correct? Do I just use a punch and a hammer to loosen the retaining ring and then replace the sender unit? Do I need to pull the fuse for my fuel pump and depressurize the system first, or can I just swap out the units?

Thanks for the help guys!

Andy

Rogue Noob
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

didn't I read that was a recall but for a different year or different car? If a recall just take it in and having it done the right way. The thing I read was that it was just a moving of a wire under a rear seat. Sounds simple enough but would still have the pros do it because it will be done/checked the next time that car is taken to a dealer anyway since it will come up as an unresolved recall item.

J0B00

No, it's not just a wire... you have to take the fuel sender module out of the tank and replace it.

There is a TSB on it, but that doesn't mean its a recall...they just know about the problem. Regardless, my car has almost 100K miles on it so its out of warranty anyway.

I know the part is about $120 and it should be pretty straightforward, I've just never done it before and wanted to check to make sure there wasn't something else I needed to know about the procedure before I did anything...

Thanks!

Andy

Rogue Noob

interesting, another member here who is a tech said it was a joke how easy it was. Maybe that was a different Nissan with a fuel reading issue or a different issue altogether.

Anyway, TSB is very similar to a Recall but they don't require immediate attention (safety). If you bring you car in and you bring the TSB they might fix it. Won't know until you try. I'd give that a shot if you haven't already.
Last edited by Rogue Noob on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J0B00

No, they aren't alike... they just identify problems that are likely to occur and tell how they should be handled/fixed...

I've already talked to my dealership about this and they couldn't help me other than doing the repair for me at regular parts + labor cost.

Maybe I should just go buy a service manual...

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

I had the fuel sender unit replaced in my Rogue, twice! Mainly because they "supposedly" only put 1 new one in. Right when I picked up the car and drove away the check engine light came back on, I was sooo pissed. I brought it back and they said there are 2 fuel sender units in the gas tank.

The Rogue gas tank is like an upside down U "best way I can describe it" so there is a sender unit on each side of the tank.

They said it was a big job because they take off the gas tank (make sure you do it when you have almost no gas in the tank).

J0B00

Are you driving an AWD?

The TSB for the AWD Rogue says that the sender and sub-sender have to be changed out and on the 2WD its just the fuel sender unit... This may be what they did... As far as I've been able to tell from the parts diagrams, the sub-sender for the AWD and the 2WD versions of the Rogue are different.

See this diagram: https://partsfornissans.com/parts/2012/ ... CallOut=23

...and if you read the TSB, you'll see what I'm talking about.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

I have the AWD, it was all replaced under warranty.

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

J0B00 wrote:Maybe I should just go buy a service manual...
Someone who has been around these parts longer should chime in with detailed instructions, but as far as I know, people here have posted all the service manuals for all years of the Rogue. I have the one for my 2011 I got from here.

If you give me your email I can send you the pages out of my 2011 that deal with this (I assume it has it, it deals with everything it seems). However you should be able to search the site and find the 2008 version. Or, hopefully one of the other people with a link handy can give it to you.

EDIT: I found it for you in my favourites: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Rogue/
I believe you can find the service manual there. That might help answer your question about the difficulty of this repair.

Qashqai

J0B00 wrote:I'm having the issue with my fuel sender not reporting the correct fuel level and I'm thinking about fixing it myself...

If I'm not mistaken, the unit is accessible from under the rear passenger seat, correct? Do I just use a punch and a hammer to loosen the retaining ring and then replace the sender unit? Do I need to pull the fuse for my fuel pump and depressurize the system first, or can I just swap out the units?

Thanks for the help guys!

Andy
I have an AWD, I took it to the dealer and they replaced two Fuel Sender units.

For a repair that is a subject of a TSB, do you still need warranty? I am not sure. If yours is AWD, you need to replace the two units. For mine they didn't remove the tank. They accessed from the circular access hole under the rear seat. As long as you have the parts, I don't thnik it is a complicated repair (just don't smoke when the gas tank is open :naughty: )

Rogue Noob

Found the quote I was referring to: 'the fuel gauge one is really stupid, you take the rear seat move it out the way of pull the pump and move the transfer hose above the pump so the fuel level sender cant actually sit on the hose and give the false reading"

It is for the FX35 fuel sending recall, so apparently it is different.

di_gent

i know this is a long shot and i am not sure if anyone will reply to this thread but i was wondering if you (anyone) got to ever replaced the fuel pump yourself and if yes, how hard/easy was it? i am having the same issues with the fuel gauge behaving erratic (code P0463). i just called the Stealer and they quoted me $762 CAD parts and labour (part is $560CAD). any reasonable place i can get the part (i live in canada, if not obvious from price :chuckle: )? i dont want to spend that much money on the car it's a 2008 SL FWD. any help will be appreciated :dblthumb:

J0B00

Yes, I did end up replacing it myself, but you'll have to buy a $120 wrench for the Rogue fuel pump. It attaches to a 1/2" socket handle if I remember correctly. Access the fuel pump assembly by pulling up the rear seat cushion. There will be a small door on the left passenger side of the rear seat. Remove the door and the pump access is beneath. Getting the pump assembly to spin out is tricky. I found that if you slide the socket handle under the support bar for the seat (you'll know what I mean when you see it) and tap it a few times with a hammer, it'll twist right out. Have a few big towels handy to soak up the gas that will come from the fuel lines when you unhook. I unhooked the wiring harness first, then pulled the fuel line. Get those towels out of the car QUICK or your Rogue will smell like a gas can for weeks. I purchased an entire used fuel pump assembly on ebay for a fraction of what a new one would have cost. Minus the time I wasted trying to figure out how to get it out of there (see above) it only took about 10 minutes to change out since I basically just switched the old assembly for the new. I'm not a person who does car repairs, except for the occasional air filter exchange or switching out my battery when the old one is toast. Felt accomplished when I was done, even though the repair was simple compared to vehicles where you have to drop the entire tank. I'd rank it as a 9/10 level repair, where 10 would be the easiest, only because of the wrench, which was hard to find. But that was 3 years ago...

J0B00

Here's a pump assembly with about 42K miles on it... The one I got had 32K

http://r.ebay.com/ofe2Ss

J0B00

Return to “Rogue Forum”