Fuel Pump Removal

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
lmarin
Car: 1986 Nissan 720 KC 2WD

Hello all,

I am trying to remove my fuel pump. I've removed and plugged the hoses leading into and from the fuel pump.

It is an electric fuel pump; it has two wires coming from the fuel pump itself going to a switch(?, not sure what to call this).

My question is do I pull the two wires that are "stuck" in the fuel pump or is there a way to unplug the switch(again not sure if this is what it is called)?

I will post images or a link as soon as possible.

Thank you for your help.

http://s1034.photobucket.com/user/lmari ... sort=3&o=0

AJ_720
Car: 1984 Nissan 720 KC 4x4

If you pull back the rubber on the switch/connector you are talking about, you can pull that apart and that is how you remove the fuel pump. As I recall, you can pull it apart with force and it didn't have any clip or anything. Do not pull on the wires as they are part of the pump itself.

When I just installed a new fuel pump (Carter OEM model) on my 720 about a week ago, I noticed it didn't come with the plug connector like the one you have in the picture. All I had to do was connect the white (positive) wires together and bolt the black (negative) wire down tight underneath one of the bolts on the frame. Just saying in case you have a fuel pump that does not have the connector .. it is not necessary.

Hope that helps!

lmarin
Car: 1986 Nissan 720 KC 2WD

Thank you so much AJ_720.

I just replaced the fuel pump, and she roared back to life after about a month of sitting, just in time for the chilly weather.

AJ_720
Car: 1984 Nissan 720 KC 4x4

Glad to hear it all worked out! Lucky timing too as I just changed mine haha

Return to “Datsun 720”