fuel pump questions(1991 240sx)

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/....html

1.How do you test a fuel pump? I can't start car because fuel pump does not operate. I measured zero volts between ground and the black/yellow wire in connector right at fuel pump . I did this test within first 5 seconds of ignition coming on. can i just hook fuel pump up to 12v source directly and see if it starts?

2. Where is the darn fuel pump relay? is it in the front corner(passenger side) of engine compartment next to battery? I see a small black rectangular(1in by 2.5in by 4 in) container there which contains two plugs with small wires. no labels. i assume this is the eccs and fuel pump relay?doesn't look like normal relay. do these two relays come as one unit if you replace them?
Modified by vancouverbc at 7:41 PM 9/7/2008

benemorius
Car: s13, s13, eg, e36

Yes you can test the pump by supplying 12v. I can check the location of the relay when I get home if you haven't found it by then. There is one relay/fuse box on each side of the engine bay. I don't see why it wouldn't be labeled on one of those. What you described sounds too small, but you're in the right vicinity.

vancouverbc

i hooked up 12v to fuel pump for instant (black wire and black/yellow)and only got small noise for instant(umph). after doing this 5 times, it stopped sparking or doing anything. i'm scared;)(fuel pump fuse was blown by this exercise).

chilton says the eccs and fuel pump relay are together near battery. i looked at the two main relay boxes and found nothing about eccs or fuel pump. just an egi pump.

Modified by vancouverbc at 10:00 PM 4/15/2005

vancouverbc

I'm still interested to know where fuel pump relay is.

Installed new pump and car starts. after removing pump it is easy to test. only a positive and negative terminal. old pump did nothing when hooked to 12volts. I traced the wires and i was using the right wires all along so i don't know why i did not get 12 v at pump harness (in first 5 seconds)or why i got sparks when testing old pump. pink/white from pump assembly is positve side of pump and goes to black yellow on connector. blue/red from pump assembly is negative of pump and goes to large black wire on connector.

Notes:

1. if testing pump outside of tank, only apply power for instant.2.buy a strainer when you buy new pump(o-ring too)3. be careful not to bend float when removing pump4. don't overtighten screws holding pump assembly to gas tank(6)5. i had no problem disconnecting rubber outlet/inlet hoses to pump assembly. i think key is not to grip rubber hose where it has slid over the metal tube. to remove just push hose end with pliars

vancouverbc

this pic shows what you see after removing trap door for fuel pump assembly. the six screws must be removed to remove fuel pump assembly from gas tank. the two rubber hoses must be unfastened, as well. black and red wire is from my multimeter.

vancouverbc

this pic shows bottom half of fuel pump assembly. black cylinder is fuel pump. the strainer and float and float arm are visible. the pump comes off the pump assembly very easily.

steve s14

if the computer doesn't get a rpm signal after the key is switch on, it will not continue to run the pump.as for the sparks, the pump is a electric motor so if the bearings of the motor are seized, the current still wants to flow through and therefore you will see some small sparks if you touch 12v to it.

steve s14

oh and the fuel pump relay is in the relay and fuse box in the engine bay behind the battery. if you are standing infront of the car facing the firewall with the hood open and you open the relay/fuse box, it's the green relay second to the last on the right side row next to the eccs relay

benemorius
Car: s13, s13, eg, e36

Glad to hear you got it working. Kudos for the mini-writeup. Such things are always welcome on the forum. Contrary to what one might think after browsing the recent thread titles, many folks actually do use the search function.

vancouverbc

benemorius,

Thanks. I did get some good information from my search in the forums.i am getting 12volts to ground of car from black/yellow wire in connector that goes to fuel pump. that is a good test to see if pump is receving power. i screwed that up somehow. The Mitchel trouble-shooting guide was just terrible. They had me checking voltage at the fuel pump relay and ground circuit test and checking ec. Then, they say to check fuel pump and relay at end.

steves14,

I have looked at the fuse/relay box next to battery but there is no mention of eccs or fuel pump relay just fuel pump fuse. there is an egi pump and egi relay. Thanks for your help:)

vancouverbc

This is the fuse/relay box by battery

steve s14

the egi pump one is the one

mcmiles16
Car: 1991 nissan 240sx

i have a nissan 240 the eng cont fuse keeps blowing and the car wont start i need some help the fuel pump isnt running

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”