Fuel pump noise

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Micallen
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 V6

When I turn my key on, I hear the fuel pump. Been this way for a few weeks. I never recall hearing it before (had it almost 2 years). Is that a bad sign?

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

it is normal, it is the sound of the fuel pump priming the system.

Micallen

I understand that, but I never noticed it before. Good to know it's normal.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Normal would be a quiet humming sound. If you are noticing more of a loud whining noise just over the past few weeks, that wasn't noticeable for the past two years you have owned it, you may be hearing the beginnings of a potential problem with your fuel pump. The normal humming noise should not be noticeable with the engine running and perhaps only heard when you turn the ignition key the On position but with the engine not running. Keep an eye on it or, should I say, an ear to it.

Micallen

mdmellott wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:29 pm
Normal would be a quiet humming sound. If you are noticing more of a loud whining noise just over the past few weeks, that wasn't noticeable for the past two years you have owned it, you may be hearing the beginnings of a potential problem with your fuel pump. The normal humming noise should not be noticeable with the engine running and perhaps only heard when you turn the ignition key the On position but with the engine not running. Keep an eye on it or, should I say, an ear to it.
It doesn't sound like a motor going bad, or anything terrible. Guess I will continue to monitor it.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”