Fuel pump idiocy

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
ihaveissues
Car: 1976 datsun 620 longbed

Ok, Got's me a '77 620, had previous alternator problems,, seemed to have gotten them worked out. New problem. Do fuel pumps just die and it's a no go from the get go? Or... do they mess with your head and sometimes work and then quit? Here's the situation... Took a trip down to Santa Fe today to redeem a gift card at the Home Despot. It's has been blazingly hot here in NM. of late, I'm purring along at 75 into S.F. (thinking to myself, "wow the little truck is running great today"!) Do my shopping, then figure I'll stop at Trader Joes for some vittles since we don't get into town much...come out to the little blue truck, start her up and pull up to the exit onto the street. Truck dies. Won't re-start, at all. Crap, there goes my Saturday. So I roll it back into the parking lot and pull out my tools. I pull off the fuel line going to the carb and crank it a few times. Nuttin, no fuel squirting out onto the pavement, Its gotta be the pump right? I take off both fuel filters and corresponding hoses and blow them out, no blockages, and call AAA. I get towed 30 miles home, let it sit for a while and then just for s***s and giggles, go try to start her up. She starts right up. WTF?!

My question remains, do fuel pumps just die, or do they die slowly, never letting on that you're about to have melted ice cream all over your floorboards at any random time? Is it the heat? It has been gassy smelling in the cab lately, is it the carb? Arrggghh,

Any advice would be appreciated.

pacific coast
Car: 72 510 wagon 74 620 94 Hardbody

OK longshot but i had this happen to my stock fuel pump & ive fixed it twice. As you may or not know the fuel pump arm rests against the cam bolt cover which is mounted off center & as the part goes around it "pumps" the fuel pump arm. Twice ive had excessive play in the arm which caused the arm to slide off the cam bolt cover & when that happens its not pumping gas from the tank. Fixed it twice by taking a small washer, cutting it so it looks like a letter C, slid it down on the arm pivot point & holding it there with nail glue. So basically theres 2 washers keeping my fuel pump arm centered on the cam bolt cover. Pull your valve cover & see where the arm is resting. Keep in mind the arm shoudnt have any play in it. That may be your problem.

ihaveissues
Car: 1976 datsun 620 longbed

Pacific Coast, You're a genius! They had the wrong pump at the parts store, so I ordered one. Meanwhile, I took off the valve cover,lo and behold !The rocker arm is wiggling around all over the place! so I took your advice and shoved half a washer with some liquid nails, and put it all back together...The rocker arm still travels a bit, but hopefully not enough to screw me getting to work and home till the part comes on Tuesday. Thanks again!!!

pacific coast
Car: 72 510 wagon 74 620 94 Hardbody

Hey glad the fix worked for you. A little play in the arm is ok but it doesnt take much to throw it off.

Return to “Datsun 620”