fuel pump flow

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
cadet18
Car: 89 s13 coupe ca18det

anyone that has a walbro 255 ever taken their fuel line off and seen how far it will spray fuel? I'm troubleshooting a lean condition and have 36 psi at idle with vac but im still questioning the pump. on colder mornings every day now when i go to start the car it will fire up then cut off immediately unless i blip the throttle and keep playing with it until it finally catches and idles. it will then idle roughly until it is fully warmed at which point it idles decent. when i go to drive the car i get afrs in the 14s when boost starts to come on i havent let it get over maybe 7 psi like this. im wondering if my 7 year old walbro could not be putting out enough volume. i disconnected the fuel line from the engine and jumped the fuel pump on and i got a 6-8 inch stream at best to come out. i would think it would have a little more power than that. tried looking online for videos but came up with nothing. maybe someone here has some input

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I just answered this question in your other thread. That's too low. You either have a restriction in the system or the pump is bad. It's probably the pump.

cadet18

so this gave me the reason to try something ive wanted to do for awhile now. i have always heard that the airtex fuel pump part # e2448 flows the same as the walbro 255 and is made by walbro. you can look this up on google to find more info on it. so i went to advance to get one today and when i opened the box it sure enough had stamped right on in walbro made in USA. so tomm when its light out again im going to throw this thing in and look around my fuel tank to see if theres any dirt in there. hopefully this will solve my problem. ill keep you guys updated.

cadet18

so i put in the e2448 pump and hardwired my fuel pump wiring all at the same time. the car starts way better in the cold. im still running lean under boost.... but i have decent power now. So i went out on a limb and turned the boost controller on high(19psi) and rolled into it. I was running high 15's low 16's at around 17ish psi with ZERO audible knock. Im pretty sure on 93oct i would at least hear something. That got me thinking. I know i have an exhaust leak behind my o2 sensor under the drivers seat from being low that i havent fixed. I also saw a bit of smoke from the collector above the turbo flange on the manifold. I am now wondering it i dont have a pre wideband exhaust leak which is tricking my gauge into reading lean under boost. it will spike 12:1 right when i first roll into boost then go lean. ive been wanting to do some rerouting on the piping and reclock the compressor so ill have a look at everything when i pull it all off. just gotta find time to do it. I now live in an APT and dont have my garage like i did in GA.Anyways thats what im thinking it is for now. any input is welcome.

You would think id hear knock at 16:1 at 17psi on 93 octane right?

float_6969

Not necessarily. The ECU could be pulling timing and you're not hearing it. That being said, that's lean enough that you should feel the loss in power. Is your wideband in the stock location?

cadet18

the wideband is whatever distance aem recommended to put it from the turbo elbow like 20 inches or so. it is not in the stock location. My timing maps are the same on the knock and the regular timing maps so it should be able to pull any timing.

cadet18

it def still has power there. im not really pushing it and i only went into high boost once to test my theory. But it does not pull like a car running at 16:1 its got some power to it for sure

sjbsuperman1425
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx
CA18DET

check for exhaust leak.

float_6969

Yea, if you have a pre-sensor exhaust leak, it could definitely make it read incorrectly. That being said, Most of the exhaust is going to be under some pressure, and it's unlikely that it's going to pull in any air from the atmosphere and make it read lean. I would guess you're actually lean. Did this problem just start, or has it always been present? Have you tried turning the boost down to see if it goes away?

cadet18

it just randomly started. and now it has randomly gone away. i did put a new fuel pump in but it was doing the same thing the day of install (post installation of fuel pump). came out the next day and all seems well again? IDK CA gremlins i guess? no idea ive been driving it the past few days to work with 0 issues....

float_6969

That's weird. Does it run any differently? I'm wondering if the wideband is just giving false readings.

cadet18

it runs like it used to... idk what caused it to hiccup like it did. just glad its back to normal.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”