Fuel Pump DIY?

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
Phat Pastor
Car: 1993 Nissan Quest

Hey folks.

I just inherited a 93 Quest, and I got it b/c the previous owners didn't want to mess with a $700 bill to change the fuel pump which died. Is this something to tackle with some mechanical knowledge, or should I just pay it? Also, is it worth it to get a pump from a wrecker or should I go new? Let me know what you guys think...Thanks.

basskronick
Car: I drive a pontiac, and i love it, but i have nissan in my heart, I'm also the owner of a first gen q

First off, I would definately get a new one from a parts store, you never know what you're gonna get from a junk yard. As for the tank removal itself, a DIY'er can do it, it's not really that bad

1. DISCONNECT BATTERY, I can't stress that enough, lol

2. Remove fuel tank cover

3. Remove fuel tank support bands

4.Disconnect fuel tubes and connectors from pump

5. Remove 6 bolts holding assembly in

6. Remove assembly

Phat Pastor
Car: 1993 Nissan Quest

am I draining the fuel first? Or just ready to catch any from the lines?So it's not actually in the fuel tank? Cause people have been saying that it might be in there. Will I be able to find a Haynes manual or something for the quest? It's the same as a villager, correct?

Thanks for the help.

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/quest/

i dunno if the 94-95 models are similar since that list goes only soo far

try your local library as well

basskronick
Car: I drive a pontiac, and i love it, but i have nissan in my heart, I'm also the owner of a first gen q

Sorry, i wasn't too clear on the directions, you can drain the fuel, but its not really 100% necessary, unless its full. The pump is inside, the retaining screws hold the assembly to the tank you have to pull it out of the tank when you pull the screws, and the 93 should be the exact same as the 94.

Return to “Quest Forum”