Fuel leak and related issues

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Keith N.
Car: 1982 Datsun 720 pickup Diesel

Hello: I belong to a 1982 Datsun 720 kingcab pickup with an SD22 Diesel engine.

I was driving home the other day (happened to be the hottest day of the year) and the fuel line which connects from the injector pump into the fuel distributor ruptured, squirting biodiesel all over the road and engine. Continued driving home losing about half a tank in the process (fortunately had just filled it) and trying not to pass out from the acetone-like fumes in order to get home to deal with it. I thought it was going to be as simple as swapping out the line for a biodiesel compatible marine fuel line, but to my dismay the truck won't start and continues to sound worse like its on its way towards engine failure. After I swapped most of the lines I pumped the injector to "bleed the lines" of air, pumping until the cod liver oil came out the vent screw. Still wont start. Wondering what my next step should be. I worried that: no fuel is getting to the injector pump or the engine block, the injector pump may be failing, my beloved Datsun may be on its last legs. Until now the truck has been mechanically reliable, so I am appealing the Datsun community to give me some advice on this one. Did I pump the injector enough? Too much? Is there too much air in the lines? What is preventing the biodiesel from entering the engine block?

-Thanks, Keith N.

okieboy
Car: 82 720 KingKab

Was it your first time to use bio diesel? Or had you been using it for some time... Do you have an inline fuel filter?

I am in no way an expert, and am very new to this forum but I just heard of people using other flex fuels in gas engines and at least in ethanol based fuels, I know it cleans junk in gas tanks and fuel lines that can clog injectors.

Don't know if this could be the case in a diesel application.

Keith N.
Car: 1982 Datsun 720 pickup Diesel

I have been using bio d off and on for a year now, engine seems to run better on the biofuel with the added lubrication. So far the fuel hasn't clogged the inline filter too badly (must do a good job of filtering macro particles upon delivery to fueling station. I'm thinking that there's air caught in the main filter and that I need to replace it and/or fill it up with regular diesel to force any air pockets out. I will be attempting this soon, but I'm stuck if this doesn't work.

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

It pretty much sounds like air in the system. you gotta make sure the fuel system is completely full of fuel. Also if it still wont start try using some quick start. It's an aerosol spray (usually gas or butane) which does not harm the engine because of the volume necessary to start. You may need help as it must be sprayed whilst starting the engine.

Return to “Datsun 720”