Fuel issue? Won't go over 70 mph over driving 1.5 hrs

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
progturner
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

My daughter's Rogue will start to really labor after driving it after 1.5 hours. The car will struggle to maintain 65-70 mph and then will labor even more if there are any hills. If she then lets it rest for 30 minutes - it will do better. Any thoughts? -Greatly appreciated.

2009 Nissan Rogue S - -160k miles

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

just a stab here - dirty fuel filter?

macgiver

04pathse got a good idea there. So you may get & hookup a fuel pressure gauge, duct tape to windshield, and see if pressure falls at that speed. Replacing the filter - yes too, but could more like "fuel delivery" problem. Keep the pressure gauge in plain view in order to get to the bottom of this faster / more efficiently!

You'll want to eliminate the basics before the dreaded CVT issues - which begin by doing a pan drop, inspection & re-fill, expensive if you're not into that depth of DIY.

Keep in mind HEAT will cause 'systems' (ECM, TCM ,whatever) in these cars to do the Limp Mode thing. So a good coolant flush & refill w/PROPER ratio of distilled H2O helps in that respect. Hey it's SUMMER right :yesnod Hate to say, it's almost always come down to a CVT problem with these "THINGS" :rotflmao
Last edited by Rogue One on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: TYPO

FantomLightning
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select AWD w/ Convenience Package.
Graphite Blue

It's probably none of the above from what I've seen over time. This sounds exactly like a heat soaked CVT with bad fluid/possibly going into limp home mode. Do the engine revs skyrocket when she attempts to accelerate/drive up a hill without any upward change in speed? It acting normal after 30 minutes makes it sound exactly like the well documented CVT overheating. I'd also hazard a guess that the CVT hasn't had it's fluid changed in a while/ever.

OP do some digging on this forum about CVT Fail safe/Overheating/Limp home mode. If you're convinced after that it'll be time for a CVT fluid flush.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

I'd have to agree with FantomLightning. However we're going to need more information before making an educated guess.

1. What's the current odometer reading?
2. Is this the original CVT, or was it replaced by Nissan under the extended warranty they offered?
3. Is the vehicle equipped with the auxiliary transmission cooler?
4. Nissan CVT's require service at 30k intervals. Has the CVT ever been serviced? If so, what was done?

As for a dirty fuel filter, that is something best left to a repair shop. Unlike older vehicles where those were a realitively easy DIY job, on the Rogue they are not. The fuel filter is located inside the fuel tank and is NOT accessible for the consumer to mess with.

progturner
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

Thanks for all of the great responses. I am going to do the coolant flush tonight but I am taking it in the morning to get the CVT filter and fluid changed. I have not had that changed and we have owned the car for 6 years. I hope I am not too late. They are going to run a "diagnostic" on it but I am not overly optimistic that this will tell me much.

macgiver

Hope you haven't "bad mouthed " the car too much to that shop/mechanic your taking it to , they LOVE to take advantage and "elaborate" , some are more creatively dishonest about customer's situations than others.
I always suggest to many people here , who do get decent advice on nicoclub , that in these cases to just go and like - "order the job to be done" as most above suggested ie. CVT fluid change w/pan drop . (Period)
That way the shop does the job NOT BEING OPEN TO SCREW YOU for your "pre-suggested " , and "supposed" problem that may not even exist after the fluid exchange . In otherwords any further "diagnostic" can always come later , right ? See how one step at at a time works out in CVT cases NEVER give a shop , if you can help it a "Carte Blanche" on a repair order , I used to work for SEARS in 80's , they were notorious for this , got sued Class Action style and had to give previous customers millions back in "coupons for future repairs" :rotfl

Return to “Rogue Forum”