Fuel injector replacement problem, 91 SE-R

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
lowmileageB13
Car: 1991 B13 Nissan SE-R, no mods

Hello folks, looking for a little input on a situation I’ve run into. I have a ’91 B13 SE-R with 96K miles. The car started running and sounding “rough” and by the sound initially I though it might just be an exhaust problem – which it wasn’t. I did the usual trouble shooting and came to the conclusion it was a dead injector. I thought this because with the car running, I pulled the spark plug wires separately and there was no difference until #2 was pulled. #’s 1, 3 and 4 had a noticeable impact on lowering idle. I replaced the fuel filter and bought one new injector, thinking being if this fixes it I would buy 3 more. I replaced the injector without removing the fuel rail but did it with no pressure on the fuel system and I plugged the injector hole body in the rail with a paper towel to prevent any gas drainage into the cylinder. Yesterday I received the new injector and installed it. Cranked the engine and it sounded like a dead battery – which it wasn’t. The engine initially cranked and then stopped, sort of scared me and gave me cause of concern like a locked motor. I repeated this once more and got the same result. I pulled the plugs, cranked the engine and it spun freely with gas shooting out? I was surprised that it appeared so much gas was being injected into the cylinders, is that normal? I then asked myself did gas leak into the cylinders somehow? I pulled the plugs and cylinder tops on 1 and 2 were wet but I didn’t see any puddling. The dipstick indicated an overfill, actually the dipstick broke last week and I marked a dipstick from another vehicle to indicate where the full line would be (how the heck does a dipstick break? Luckily the line didn’t get stuck in the tube.) Today I drained the crankcase and got close to 4 quarts out and I estimate a full 4 quarts when you figure what the oil filter absorbs. With a refill capacity of 3 5/8 quarts it certainly looks like some gas got in there? What I was going to do is change the filter and add 3 5/8 quarts of fresh oil and try to start her again? What I’ll do first is crank the engine with the fuel pump fuse pulled and the spark plugs pulled. I hope then the engine will spin freely. Then I’ll connect everything back up and try to fire it up. Did I screw this up somehow? TIA

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome aboard!

Whew, that's a wall of info. :) So, quick question: Did you confirm spark at that cylinder first? Did you ohm test the injector?

The paper towel wouldn't do the job you think it'd do, but I'm not convinced you locked it. You're on the right track for today's plan.

lowmileageB13

AZhitman wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:35 am
Welcome aboard!

Whew, that's a wall of info. :) So, quick question: Did you confirm spark at that cylinder first? Did you ohm test the injector?

The paper towel wouldn't do the job you think it'd do, but I'm not convinced you locked it. You're on the right track for today's plan.
Thanks AZ, yes there was spark to #2. Ohms resistance was zero with the old injector, didn't move the meter. The new injector was 19.4 if my meter was correct. It was a SMP/Intermtor part, looks like a good piece, who knows. Thanks for the reply.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

You bet - Keep us posted!

lowmileageB13

AZhitman wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:49 am
You bet - Keep us posted!
Now it just spins, as if the coil wire was pulled (which it isn't). I wonder if it jumped time when it sounded jammed up the other day? This should have been a simple fix? And yes, the 15 amp fuel pump fuse is back in and I hear the pump.

lowmileageB13

I ordered a new fuel pump. Mine is eratic. Tested first at 48 psi. 10 minutes later was 38 psi. Then later stayed at 38 and didn't go higher. Now the crazy part. As I said before, the motor was just spinning with no intention of starting. After I disconnected the line at the filter and fitted the psi gauge, then cranked the motor WITH THE LINE TO THE RAIL DISCONNECTED, it sputtered like it was trying to start with no gas flowing! Crazzy. New pump comes in Wednesday. I also ordered another injector, this time Beck/Arnley FWIW.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”