CHATROOM: Fuel / Gas Gauge Issues

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
wifes rogue
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 S AWD

Well, I have posted this, more to have an idea and see where everyone else is on this. The past few time my wife has filled up the rogue. Today I did, when I fill up, I can see the gas at the top of the rim. Sure enough last bar still not reading. I need an oil change,so I went to the dealer today to see when I could leave the rogue, and told him about the gas problem, and the steering wheel creaking (the safety bulletin). I didn't want to say anything about the TPMS, but sure enough he said there were a couple of recalls, the TPMS and the CVT (reprogram). I will be leaving the rogue on Wednesday of this week to have the service done. I will post the results.

UPDATE:So I picked up the Rogue, I left it there all day to have everything done. Sure enough they had to order parts for the creeking in the steering wheel and the gas gauge not reading right. They will call me mid next week when the parts come in.
Modified by wifes rogue at 3:12 PM 12/30/2009

robf70837

My 2009 AWD S that I have owned since July just started doing this within the past two weeks. Up until now, every fill up, the gauge has read as full. The last two fill ups the gauge stops before the last tick mark.

Yesterday I went out and the gauge read as 3/4 full, where I expected it to be. I went out again a few hours later and the gauge read as 15/16 full. WTF? After running the errand I needed to, I got back in it to return home, and it read as 3/4 like it should have.

I will have the dealer check this out on my next scheduled maintenance in two weeks.

Cory1591

you need to have the sending unit replaced on the tank. my experience is that with a rogue that has 43000 miles on it that had minor problems with the fuel pump and sending unit that was replaced 3x in the matter of a month i still have the problem time to time due to the fact i commute 120 miles round trip i fill up at least every other day and when i top it off the dte and gauge takes about 20 minutes to read full and thats cuz i fill up till gas comes out so i get the accurate reading. Hope this helps

RogueGuy45
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I've noticed this with my Rogue as well but the miles to empty reader seems to be accurate.

Does anyone know if this sensor affects the miles to empty scale? I watch that more than the gauge now.

Cory1591

i think it has something to do with it because if your avg mpg meter says 27 and when you look at dte it should be around 450 like mine is but if your says 22 to 24 it should be around 320 to 350 so if ur getting around 450 the sending unit should read all bars but like said mine replaced 3 times and it still doesnt function right so i give up. i even told the dealer to check it since its under the 12/12000 warrenty and they came back on the RO saying it was fine. i beleive the only thing they test is the voltage on the wire and if its in the range of spec they leave it. so i guess mine was in that range. good luck

CALGARIAN

My Gas Gauge always Reading in right, I tried twices fill up by the way what I think.It's work.
Modified by CALGARIAN at 6:17 AM 1/11/2010

pawprint
Car: 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL w/technology package

I have the 2010 Rogue SL AWD. My top bar doesn't light up either. I only have 345 miles and have only filled the tank twice, however I experienced the same problem on my 2006 Murano. The sensor was also the problem. The service department tore my backseat apart to get to the sensor. They spilled gas inside the vehicle so it stank for a few months.

I can't believe Nissan is still having these issues.

Cory1591

thats weired considering they came out with the TSB a while back. You would think in the 2010's they would have corrected the problem. i had mine replaced 2x's along with the fuel pump and it still doesnt read right considering i use it as my commuter car that puts on an average 120 miles also didnt the morano use an analog setup not a ditigal so i would never think they would give off the same problem. Even when i had an 2005 infiniti G that i have for 4 years and it never gave me a problem. SO i would it checked.

pawprint
Car: 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL w/technology package

Cory1591 wrote:also didnt the morano use an analog setup not a ditigal.
Yah, the Murano’s gauge had an “arm” that always rose at or above the Full line. Then one day it would not go past the ¾ mark so Nissan changed a sensor under warranty. This also confused the computer. After a full tank the system would say 400 miles to empty, but when the sensor was off it would say 320 to empty (or something weird).

P.S. I’m guilty of putting more gas in the tank after the first “off” click from the pump. I’ve been told to stop pumping after that first click, but I prefer and even dollar figure. $20 is easier to remember than $19.64.

Pawprint

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

My Rogue gas gauge worked fine for a few months then I got the dreaded missing 1st bar. Well that sucked the big one! It happened at a Shell for the first time. Actually I was willing to live with it. I prefer it there instead of my rogue being ripped apart over 1 little missng bar. Anyways, I too like to purchase gas at the even dollar amount. My personal quirk too. But I did a little research online and found out about the nissan gas tank of the rogue was pretty large. Maybe read it here, I forget. But some person said you can fill the tank up o the first click; then wait 10-15 secx to settle and refill again to even put more gas. Well I took it to a different level which is not advisable to most. But when I fill the tank, I fill it to the first click, let it settle for a few seconds. Then 2nd click, settle Third click, settle and fourth click. Then stop. Yes folks I keep filling until the 4th click.!! Never overspills.

The ONLY reason was because I read some article about gas tank configurations and dimensions, and saw diagrams and how the slant of the tank because of pavement incline could affect the amount of gas inside a tank. Okay, sounding too nerdy now. The point folks is that the tank is big okay. I even can get up to 16.2 gal of gas into my tank or something like that. Yes I am anal but I get all the cute teeny digital orange bars all the time now. Oh joy!

Do i recommend? NO

If you really need that last bar lit. Then YES!

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

pawprint wrote:P.S. I’m guilty of putting more gas in the tank after the first “off” click from the pump. I’ve been told to stop pumping after that first click, but I prefer and even dollar figure. $20 is easier to remember than $19.64.
casperfun wrote:But some person said you can fill the tank up o the first click; then wait 10-15 secx to settle and refill again to even put more gas. Well I took it to a different level which is not advisable to most. But when I fill the tank, I fill it to the first click, let it settle for a few seconds. Then 2nd click, settle Third click, settle and fourth click. Then stop. Yes folks I keep filling until the 4th click.!! Never overspills.

The ONLY reason was because I read some article about gas tank configurations and dimensions, and saw diagrams and how the slant of the tank because of pavement incline could affect the amount of gas inside a tank. Okay, sounding too nerdy now. The point folks is that the tank is big okay. I even can get up to 16.2 gal of gas into my tank or something like that. Yes I am anal but I get all the cute teeny digital orange bars all the time now. Oh joy!

Do i recommend? NO

If you really need that last bar lit. Then YES!
That is what I do with every car I own (I hate gas filling) and I never had any problem with my gauges (In fact only once with a Subaru Legacy but it was the other way around: I had no more fuel at the same time as the warning light came out, a little bit too short of a notice in my opinion so they change that).

For the Rogue, I already put more than 68 liters several times in a fuel tank which has a 65 liters capacity. I usually stop the filling when I see the fuel in the pipe .

Something for the mad people like me: When you fill up your Rogue, it will gurgle at some time when you top it off. When it gurgles, you are about 1 liter away from seeing the fuel in the pipe.

I believe the biggest mistake Nissan did was to use a digital readout instead of a needle. With a needle, people doesn't care if the needle is right at the F mark as long as it is (it is usually way pass the F mark). They all use the same definitively NOT PRECISE fuel sensors (all of them, not just Nissan), but with a digital readout, more people will complain as it is more noticeable (one bar missing is easier to see that the needle around the F mark), especially when people stop filling their tank at the first click. You can put way more fuel than that: For the Rogue it is more than a gallon more, and for my wife Odyssey, it is about 4 gallons (a so bad engineering design).If you are about between two bars, the fact you use the car, warming up the fuel in the tank, may add one more bar. A cold night and you may have one to two bars less due to the fuel retracting in the tank.

Nissan will pay big bucks their engineering mistake to use a digital readout of the fuel.

Jostudly
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

I had the 1st block missing on my fuel gauge and I had the fuel sending unit replaced for a 2nd time. It finally shows all the blocks on my 1st fill up. The odd thing is I drive 130 kms before the 1st block went away and then it went back to full. Is this normal or does my gauge need to be re-calibrated?

tcmo
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

Ours has done the same thing for the past year. It shows all the bars when full, but take 60-70 miles before it drops 1 bar and then will drop a bar or 2 in the next 40 miles or it may raise a bar if the car is not driven. Our gauge is very variable for the first 1/4 of a tank. I consider it a quirk of the digital gauge.

acmm
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

I have experienced the same condition on my 2009 SL AWD Rogue. Reads full with all bars lit at time of fill up. Then will drop a bar after 30-40 miles. Then another bar in a relative short time later only to read full again the next morning

Couz

On my old Acura which had a needle gauge I was also able to see fluctuations in how it read, so those things aren't only related to digital reading gauges.

When I would drive I would look at my gas gauge and the needle would be at one place and a few minutes later under different driving conditions like highway it would read higher.

We have to take into account the elements, possibly heat/cold, road levels, etc...

On my end, I would NOT bring my car in to fix one missing bar on a fillup, its just not worth it to have them start fiddling with your car and taking properly functioning things appart just to fix something that's not that serious....if the gas gauge was drastically mis reading than I would.

casperfun

[/QUOTE] I would NOT bring my car in to fix one missing bar on a fillup, its just not worth it to have them start fiddling with your car and taking properly functioning things appart just to fix something that's not that serious.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. My gas gauge has been sucking lately and missing the last bar even when stop clicking the hell out of it trying to fill to brim.

Reason why I always prefered the analog. First time with digital. Never thought I missed them. With analog gauge it never really bothered me when it was not always at the F (full line). Mentally with digital it peeves me more. No biggie in the scheme of things which is why I won't go through all that trouble of letting dealership disasemble my rogue for 1 orange bar. Maybe when weather is warmer, hopefully it comes back. Who knows.

Couz

I'm that way too...lol

First time I read this thread and did my next fillup I was missing the one bar and in a way it bugged me because psychologically you think that a digital gauge should be precise. But my analogue gauge being off a tad never bugged me.

One bar means nothing really, thew fact many of us have the issue reasures me its just a quirk of the car....in a way those who put in like $20 at a time would never notice.

But Casper, you may be on to something concerning weather, because in summer the one bar was never missing, but in winter it does....also I keep my Rogue in the garage in winter and after a fillup when I came straight home parked in doors the next morning it would read full.

Like I said you gotta take the elements into account and I think cold weather can play a factor in these things.

Couz

Pescakl1 wrote:
That is what I do with every car I own (I hate gas filling) and I never had any problem with my gauges (In fact only once with a Subaru Legacy but it was the other way around: I had no more fuel at the same time as the warning light came out, a little bit too short of a notice in my opinion so they change that).

For the Rogue, I already put more than 68 liters several times in a fuel tank which has a 65 liters capacity. I usually stop the filling when I see the fuel in the pipe .

Something for the mad people like me: When you fill up your Rogue, it will gurgle at some time when you top it off. When it gurgles, you are about 1 liter away from seeing the fuel in the pipe.

I believe the biggest mistake Nissan did was to use a digital readout instead of a needle. With a needle, people doesn't care if the needle is right at the F mark as long as it is (it is usually way pass the F mark). They all use the same definitively NOT PRECISE fuel sensors (all of them, not just Nissan), but with a digital readout, more people will complain as it is more noticeable (one bar missing is easier to see that the needle around the F mark), especially when people stop filling their tank at the first click. You can put way more fuel than that: For the Rogue it is more than a gallon more, and for my wife Odyssey, it is about 4 gallons (a so bad engineering design).If you are about between two bars, the fact you use the car, warming up the fuel in the tank, may add one more bar. A cold night and you may have one to two bars less due to the fuel retracting in the tank.

Nissan will pay big bucks their engineering mistake to use a digital readout of the fuel.
So if our gas tanks can take up to a gallon more of fuel after the first "click" one must think that our gauges are indeed accurate if they are displaying one less bar...I stop after first click and I remember once I didn't, kept going even after two clicks and after that it read full.

Also, I notice that in summer the stop after one click will read full, probably due to the fuel expanding more than in winter.

tempest.runner
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

Curious. My gas gauge might be showing the same concern however with one more detail that worried me;

The gauge indicates how many km's I can travel approximately. However, once this number was below 30km, the gauge stopped calculating this and instead displayed " - - - " with 2 bars of gas in my tank... I went to fill it up right away, but I'm thinking if someone else went to use my car (ie: wife), and she saw 2 bars of gas, she'd be thinking there would be plenty of gas in the vehicle.

Is this normal?

casperfun

You should have at least 40 miles left when it just shows lines on the mpg left screen. I never really liked the digital gas gauge. Old school analog is better.

koolyce
Car: Rogue SL AWD 2009

Question for everyone who get this problem. When appear, it is because it is cold outside?

I notice in my case, that when it is cold, I miss one bar, but 2 days ago, the temperature was over 0C (around 4-5) and my gauge was ok.

I will check that when spring will come.

BLK_EIGHT

i just purchased my 2010 3 days ago and the dealer filled it up.... i have drove 180 miles and my gauge still reads full and 298 miles to empty???????

casperfun

BLK_EIGHT wrote:i just purchased my 2010 3 days ago and the dealer filled it up.... i have drove 180 miles and my gauge still reads full and 298 miles to empty???????
Whoa. Maybe your Rogue has my missing orange bar and a few others in here.

Anyhow, it takes around 40-45 miles when I lost the first orange bar before it went AWOL.

Jostudly
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

Well I finally got my fuel gauge fixed after replacing the fuel sensor twice and now it reads full. However it takes awhile for the gauge to drop after putting around 250kms then it drops faster

koolyce
Car: Rogue SL AWD 2009

My gauge is reading right now, but the temp is over 0C, so I'm pretty that the low temperature is making this behaviour.

zakmartin
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue, 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

We had our gas gauge issue fixed a few months ago when it started reading two to three bars below full after a fill-up. When they fixed it, the service techs said they had to drain out the fuel tank, then drop it, take off the fuel pump, pull out the sensors (there are two of them on the AWD Rogue), reinstall and manually calibrate them, put on a new fuel pump gasket, reinstall the fuel pump, reinstall the gas tank and fill 'er up.

The problems you can encounter with this procedure are many. They ended up not putting enough pressure on the fuel pump when they reinstalled it and the gasket swelled and broke, which caused a pretty nasty fuel spillage on the way home. In all honesty, I feel fortunate that it didn't cause a fire, since gasoline was spilling on to the hot exhaust pipe during the drive.

Fast forward two months and we're on a trip through the Canadian Rockies and the fuel tank sensor went kaput again. They replaced everything yesterday and hopefully, this time the repair will take. If it doesn't and I have to get it fixed again and then it breaks again, I'm probably going to file a lemon law complaint and trade it out for a different vehicle.

Also, I've heard that Nissan just recalled four other models (not the Rogue though) for the exact same problem. I'm hoping that the new part includes some re-engineering so that it's now less prone to breakage.

This was a poorly designed part and Nissan needs to 'fess up and do a recall. The problem with a mis-reading on the gauge does more than just dropping a bar or two; it screws up the computer's ability to give an accurate MPG estimate and distance until empty reading. When you're 200 kms between gas stations, bad information like this can create unnecessary stress levels.

casperfun

This is the REAL reason why I won't let 1 little orange bar bother me. My god, they have to do all that? I respect anybody's decision to have it fixed though since they want everything perfect in their expensive purchase decision.

I just don't want anybody tearing my Rogue apart and making it end up a lemon from all that work. No offense to your issue there.

In a nutshell, the digital gauge sucks!

You would think that in this day and age of technology that digital would be better. Nope!

In this case, analog gauge is what I prefer.

I know the maxima does not have a crappy digital gauge like the rogue. What a place to cut corners. Is digital more expensive? If it is, then its money spent on crap.
Modified by casperfun at 8:47 PM 3/5/2010

rjchoops
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

My gas gauge bars seem to work fine but the "miles to empty" is stuck on 232. Any one have a idea on a fix without taking it to the dealer?

casperfun

So yesterday I had 2 bars which was around 44 miles when the Rogue displayed " - - - " on my trip computer as usual. I thought it would last until today but I decided to fill up.

Well I had 1 bar left and only used a couple of miles during this status. Anyways, I squeezed 16 gallons even which cost me around $42 and some change. Unfortunately, I was still missing my top 1st orange bar as usual. And the DTE was 340.

So if you include the 1 bar ( which is say is a little less than a gallon ) plus my 16 gallons, it confirms what others have done here too.

and the point? Well, I was going to mention this last night but I didn't think it was newsworthy!

The REAL reason I am here is for a bit of good news. My 1st orange bar has returned this late afternoon. The weather has been getting warm lately. I don't know if that is a variable. The temp on the trip computer is 67 degrees.

So I guess there is HOPE. I have not seen my 1st orange bar since last Jan 10, nearly 3 months of cold weather. I don't want to speculate but the weather could be a theory.

I don't know if its something gone bad, loose, or weather. I never really bothered me. But I'm happy to see it back. Presently, my vehicle has 35.2 miles since fill up and the 1st orange bar is still there.

I'm glad I didn't get my Rogue torn apart and had my fuel sender unit replaced like others only to still have the problem return. I still think its something not understood like the Toyota acceleration problem. The ghost in the machine but not life threatening. Gosh, they should have stayed with analog. I actually prefer that instead of a tachnometer. I'm no racer and I never had one of those back when I had a cutless supreme which is more of a performance car then a rogue. My good old V8. Tachometers are overated and not needed in a economy car. This can assist the driver in selecting appropriate throttle and gear settings for the driving conditions but is not needed in an automatic Rogue for me personally. Hence, I wished they had a analog fuel gauge instead of a tachometer.

Grace_Rogue
Car: Currently Rav4, Husband has a 350Z roadster, and brother in law with 240sx, father in law Q56, Nissa

My husband has an 04.5 Z roadster and it has the same problem. It is a very common problem on the my350z forum.

Return to “Rogue Forum”