Fuel Gauge Issue

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
joes240

Greetings,

I have a `94 Sentra LE that I bought for $600 and am fixing up. The fuel gague does not work however. A friend and I pulled the sending unit out of the fuel tank and messed around and didn't notice a difference. However, we were about to give up and put everything back together, and once we had the cover screwed back on, we noticed the gauge started to work. So all was well and good, and it told us at least the needle itself wasn't stuck.

Well, after driving around for about a week, I noticed the gague was stuck at about 3/4 of a tank, and went to fill it up to see if it would raise back to a full tank, and it didn't.

Anyone have any ideas here? A local import shop quoted be $150 for a sending unit and labor to install it, but I don't want to buy a new part if I don't need it. At first we figured the float on the sending unit was stuck, but after it stopped working again, I'm not sure what to think.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

NISTECH

unplug the connector to the sending unit. ground the wire for the sending unit with the key on. the gauge should go to full tank. remove the ground and the gauge should drop to empty. this will tell you the gauge is ok and the wiring from the tank to the gauge is ok. I dont know which wire it is you will either need to look in the service manual or pull the unit out again and see where the wire from the float sensor goes into the upper plate and figure out which wire it is in the connector.

joes240

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try. If the gague works when doing that test, does it essentially mean it's a bad sending unit/float, or could it be the wiring coming from the tank too?

NISTECH

you are unpluging the harness at the tank to do the test. anything beyond that is the sending unit.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”