Fuel Filler Door Problem..

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
tw34k
Car: 2007 350Z Enthusiast - Solar Orange***2008 Rogue SL-FWD ( NOT Rouge ) First Rogue Sold in Tacoma /

I just purchased an '07 Z last wednesday.

During the initial walk-around Inspection I had noticed that the Filler Door doesn't quite adhere to the contours of rear fender. The lower part of the door is almost a 1/4 inch above the body.

The salesman said we would get it taken care of and a few days later I met with the Lead of the Service Dept. I was informed that They would send it to the body shop to have them look at it if I wanted to do that but I would be without a car for a day...or so.

Thats not really a problem...What I'm wondering is, is this a common issue with Z's ?.... Does anybody elses not fit just right ?

Here's a few pics...if you need a better view I can always take more.

I would like it to look more like this.

But this is how it sits...

rmezz13
Car: Had 2004.5 Nissan 350z
Have 96 f250 and mommas 07 Murano

I do have a problem with mine but i have read about my problem before and its quite common. My problem is the fuel door doesn't open when i hit the button, it unlatches and i have to pry it by hand using my finger tips to open it but no big deal... Your problem can probably be fixed by purchasing a new fuel door. You will either have to have it painted, or hit with some blender if you buy one already your color.

NSRsheets
Car: 2009 Nismo 370Z #85,1993 Nissan 240sx RB25DET coupe, 2013 focus

Mine is the same way. I talked with a nissan tech and he said it is common. He said I could by a new one, but it would do the same thing. Plastic tends to warp easily.

tw34k
Car: 2007 350Z Enthusiast - Solar Orange***2008 Rogue SL-FWD ( NOT Rouge ) First Rogue Sold in Tacoma /

That's pretty much what I thought would be said....even tho I was hoping for something different.

I wonder if I could use the wifes hair dryer and heat it up to warp it back into shape without damaging the paint....But knowing my luck it will prolly re-warp itself into something that looks worse.

Maybe I should just leave it be then.

sluggoZ
Car: 2004.5 350Z SuperBlack/Black Touring Roadster

NSRsheets wrote:Mine is the same way. I talked with a nissan tech and he said it is common. He said I could by a new one, but it would do the same thing. Plastic tends to warp easily.
Your Nissan tech is giving you a bunch of BS.1. There is a Technical Service Bulletin issued on the fuel filler door not opening on first push release. Tell the Service Mgr. to check his TSB files.2. No way you should be buying another fuel door....at least not at your expense. Also these fuel doors do not warp, just more BS.3. The fuel door lid itself can be adjusted from the inside...by loosening & adjusting very, very slightly the screw of the reed & then tightned.It could take a couple of times. You might need to have one person to push in on the release button inside and you can watch on the outside the progress.4. I've never had any problems with my fuel door & the reason why I know about the adjustment is that I have an after-market fuel door on my ZR.Good Luck!

samej82
Car: 2007 Nissan 350z

tw34k wrote:I just purchased an '07 Z last wednesday.

During the initial walk-around Inspection I had noticed that the Filler Door doesn't quite adhere to the contours of rear fender. The lower part of the door is almost a 1/4 inch above the body.

The salesman said we would get it taken care of and a few days later I met with the Lead of the Service Dept. I was informed that They would send it to the body shop to have them look at it if I wanted to do that but I would be without a car for a day...or so.

Thats not really a problem...What I'm wondering is, is this a common issue with Z's ?.... Does anybody elses not fit just right ?

Here's a few pics...if you need a better view I can always take more.

I would like it to look more like this.

But this is how it sits...

My 07 Z's filler door doesn't quite fit the lines either. I guess it's a common occurrence.

sluggoZ

I'll say it again....this so called 'common occurance' is actually the result of not aligning the fuel door from the inside.

tw34k

I did stop into a different dealer today to see what they had to say about it.

The first thing they did was have me hit the button to open it , then they looked at the hinge and said they would have one the mechanics adjust it and it would just take a few minutes.

A few minutes later they walked back in and said we're going to order a new one.

They think that maybe somebody ((at some point in time )) tried to open the filler door not knowing how to properly open it and stretched / bent it out of shape.

So....I have a short wait for the new one to get here and then they will have it color matched to the car.

Samej82...if yours looks similar...and you're still under warrenty, I would have them fix it for you.

SluggoZ...Thank you very much for your input.The same goes for all of you too !!

*Walt*

sluggoZ

tw34k....

samej82
Car: 2007 Nissan 350z

sluggoZ wrote: tw34k....
Sluggo I never get tired of the rims and tires setup on your Z.. What is it?! Where can I get them?

sluggoZ

samej82...Thanks for the compliments! I do love my wheels...wow! They do turn heads.

My wheels are iforged 19" 2pc. alloy aluminum w/custom offsets & with a brushed aluminum finish on the split spokes and a highly polished aluminum lip. Tires are Toyo T-R's. A great riding comfort summer tire especially having 19" wheels.

prglfr01

New to the site. I've done some browsing and its very informative. Quick question. I'm looking to replace my fuel filler door with a metal one to replace the plastic one which doesn't fit correctly, even after an adjustment.

SluggoZ - where did you get yours? Was it an easy install? Does the door release still work, or it is a press to open model?

Thanks !!

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

Sluggz doesn't come by much anymore, or if he does he just lurks and doesn't post.

The fuel door is from a company in Germany called Cobra. You manage to find a retailer post back, I've looked off and on for a while and always come up empty.

Cobra website, in English.

Welcome to NICO! :badger

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”