Fuel Economy

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
gmansyz
Car: 2016, Nissan Versa Note

Okay, my 2016 Note has only 700 miles on it. First tank with some highway but mostly city driving, average was 32mpg. Second, the last tank, same driving and went down to 28mpg. Calculated. Not using the dumb dash gauge.
What gives? Is it too new? Need to break in some or is it just going to get worse?
Tnx
G

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

How are you determining your mpg? Check it after a few more tanks of gas. It could just be a fluke. Track your MPG with http://www.fuelly.com

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

If you are forced to use ethanol laced fuel the % is often all over the map and will affect that. Here in Texas supposed to be 10% but often checks out at 20%, the car dealers check it all the time to refuse car warranty over it on fuel system repairs.

gmansyz

Very interesting. So if there is a warranty problem the won't fix it? I am hating this car more every day.
Tnx for the answers.
Now I am really wanting the camaro. Then I can convert to flex fuel and be happy as a turbo'ed bug.
G

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

I'd complain to legislation. That ethanol blending is only good for corn growers and car makers who benefit from a shortened engine lifespan. It's not good for cars, especially old cars, customers, or the economy.

gmansyz

I have my own thoughts on this. I will be keeping track of my fuel usage.
But here in NC, it is hot! 90's plus. I think there is software that reduces response and power the hotter it gets. Forcing me to the floor just to get it to go. I am looking at replacing the air box with a short ram intake. Maybe it will help a little?
G

centralcoaster33

I'd keep filling it up, full, no top-offs ever (those are bad). Notate the mileage and or reset the trip odometer and notate the gallons pumped. If I was making an actual log, I might even record the price. You don't need the data now, but you might want it later. That and if you're up to it, put in your temperatures. I'd be interested in real data that showed gas consumption increasing with temperature and when it started to actually become noticeable. You're car is quite new and you have little data. You could do your logging for a while before trying an intake. When you decide to try one, you'll have numbers to compare and can answer your own question. Short Ram has different results on different cars in different circumstances. I don't imagine improved fuel economy, but wouldn't be completely surprised if there was some. I might be surprised if 70 degree weather got better MPG than 90 degree weather at near sea level.

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

'I think there is software that reduces response and power the hotter it gets.'

There is, we called it physics in the 10th grade. ALL engines respond worse in hotter conditions, the air is less dense and then you stick your foot deeper in the throttle trying to make the engine perform the same. Where the extra fuel went. Hotter engine also runs closer to pinging so the timing backs off more-again lost mileage. A/c compressor will be on a greater % of the time with more heat again more load less mileage.

gmansyz

I actually believe there is software to reduce power when it gets hot. After 25 years in the permance industry I was exposed to a lot of stuff. Though, at only 9.8:1, it really should not change much. Putting 93 octane was an experiment that resulted in no change. It should not be regarding the timing due to pre-ignition or knock but yet is significantly slower and less responsive.
Now, I also tested it without the air filter, air filter housing and the strange intake plumbing which led to appreciable noise. And, it actually made a difference!!! Ran better and was nicely responsive. Only I missed out on the Auto Anything sale for the HPS short ram kit. At $158, I thought it was a very good price.
Oh well, I wait some more.
I have no way to keep track of air temp all the time when I am driving, so will just do fuel economy calculations when I fill up. It has 800 mile now. Will go back to regular next fill up. And did you all know that the convoluted filler pipe prevents you from easily filling rhe fuel tank?
Laters.
G

centralcoaster33

There is lot's of documentation of the loss of fuel economy in cold weather. Does that mean fuel economy would improve in hotter weather? I haven't seen the data on the hot weather side of things beyond the typical assumption that MPG reduces due to AC usage. But that's not really apples to apples if AC is on for one temp and off for another. We all know AC is parasitic. Anyway, I'll be back to see what data you acquire. Have fun with it!

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

We're actually talking about mileage loss in hot weather..................when the air gets hot it is less dense therefore you have to stab throttle deeper to get same amount of air in there was before, a/c on or not. More power = more economy as you get same speed out of less throttle. Cruise control will auto adjust to do the same.

Why race cars run faster at night, old bracket hands know to re-dial in handicaps based on night coming on to run faster.

Some of the conventional wisdom in hi-perf is flat wrong and I say that after diddling in it for 45+ years. True, you want the air cold and the fuel too but you want the engine HOT itself (to a point) as it makes more power when those two things combine. The oil as well has less drag at around 210-220 degrees as compared to 180 like the CW still thinks is best. It airs out foam better there too.

One BIG improvement with 210+ oil is that the water gets boiled out of it to then be sucked up by the PCV system and one whopping big reason why along with the modern computer cars can go 300K miles now. I have Ford Focus cars that have virtually zero varnish or deposits under the valve covers at over 200K miles, they are still silver metal in color. You lose that with 180 degree thermostats.

Cold weather costs economy too until the engine gets good and hot to loosen up, then the payback in cold air helps.

gmansyz

AMC49, I agree. I too have seen the results of hot weather. Nowadays, they get better fuel mileage with the air conditioning on and widows up. Instead of the A/C off and Windows down.
I am trying to have and enjoy it but getting motion sickness every time I drive it kills all of it. I have an appointment on Wednesday at the Nissan dealer and will get the tech sick to prove my point.
I will also get a cold air intake as the removal of all the intake system proved that it runs much better and needs less throttle to go.
And will try a Bully Dog tuner later on when I can afford it. Hopefully there is some gains in this with more ignition advance and other areas along with torque and power. Should help me get better fuel mileage as well.
Laters all.
G

gmansyz

Okay, next fill up. Went with regular this time.
Pump stopped at 8.5 gallons but was gurgling. Got up 9.55 gallons. Makes more sense at the miles to empty was 35 miles and tank supposedly holds 10.8 gallons.
Calculated was 28.59 mpg.
Still dealing with the incompetent dealer with the wallowing and rolling issue.
Laters all.
G

centralcoaster33

Are you still at 28+ mpg? I'm wondering how accurate your first calculation of 32 mpg was. Were you using pumped gas and clocked mileage to calculate it or were you using your tank size in the calculation?

gmansyz

Easy there, it only has 993 miles. With 212 till empty. I figure I got 180 miles to go until I need to fill it.
I hardly drive it for two reasons. One, I have few places to go with the doggie doctor and the gym the main places to go. And the other, the motion sickness I get. Still no money to form it up. Maybe once I finish my 1290 cc GS1100 and sell it off.
I think the 32 was a fluke, but honestly, I think this next tank will be better.
I use actual pumped has into tank to calculate. I can usually get a whole falling more once the first shut off.
Laters.
G

centralcoaster33

Sure. It had been two weeks and I'm used to a tank a week, so I thought you'd have more. Plus I was curious about your first calculation of 32 MPG. It seemed to be the source of your complaint, being that you haven't achieved the same since your first tank. What does it mean to say you can "get a whole falling more once the first shut off"?

gmansyz

Auto Correct.
I am trying to say a whole gallon more once the first shut off happens.
Sorry.
G

gmansyz

I am not so bad a speller as the above would suggest.
G

gmansyz

Okay, newest fueling. 29.71 mpg. Filler 9.972 gallons. After all the bubbling, I filled it to the filler neck. Saw has even. I think to still modify the filler neck just so it doesn't take 10 minutes to fill it.
G

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Man if you overfill enough you will backflood the carbon canister, that will not be good...................why that airspace is built into the tanks. Excellent way to start getting evap system codes. You are NEVER supposed to overfill the tanks and the owner manuals pretty much tell you that.

FYI, they tell you tanks hold so much but some of those OEMS are including the necessary airspace in that but don't tell you.

centralcoaster33

Yeah, the auto off on the pumps detects the vacuum/ air volume and shuts off when it should. Topping off can ruin EVAP as mentioned above. One should stop when the pump stops, assuming all is functioning properly.

gmansyz

Well, no codes yet. Now there is a solenoid that open the line to the canister. I don't see how the air space in the tank could ever be filled when the solenoid is closed. Remember too, it is not a Cali car.
I do not expect any problems. Been doing this for 35 years so am okay. Will get gas tomorrow in case we gotta run from the Huricane.
Got the car back from dealer for the painting and it actually looks fantastic. Asked about Speedo and it is okay. And the whistle was corrected too.
So, all is good.
Laters
G

centralcoaster33

gmansyz wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:39 am
...Remember too, it is not a Cali car...
What does this mean? The car is the same as the any other Versa in the states, including EVAP.

gmansyz

While I would think there would not be any difference between a Cali car and the 49 state models, you never know. No real problems with it now. No codes. I am not expecting any codes by filling it up. The fill pipe's diameter is very small so it does take a while. Cannot wait to get my cold air intake. See how that helps response and fuel economy.
G

centralcoaster33

Okay, thanks for the response. Hey, what kind of CAI are you getting? I'd be interested in that. If it bolts on, works with emissions, increases power or mileage, if it sounds different, etc. Maybe you can make a review thread.

gmansyz

It is an HPS Performance short ram. Exposed filter.
It is back ordered until near the end of October.
Remeber, I also experimented without the Airbox and piping and that made a response and power/torque difference. I am expecting the same
Sure, I will start a thread on it.
I got water coming next week so it will be a while.
Laters
G

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

'I don't see how the air space in the tank could ever be filled when the solenoid is closed.'

Give that some careful thought.........................that thinking is 100% incorrect.

FYI, the line to the canister is open to the fuel tank at all times, it has to be to vent all vapors to it instead of out into the open air.
Page 3-27 of the '16 Versa Note owner manual..............

'Do not attempt to top off the fuel tank after the fuel pump nozzle shuts off automatically.'

Just like with the running the cars out of gas warnings there are solid reasons why they tell you that.

gmansyz

Okay.
Tnx
G

gmansyz

New mileage is 31.675 mpg.

Douginaz
Car: 2014 Versa Note SV

amc49 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:46 pm

Page 3-27 of the '16 Versa Note owner manual..............

'Do not attempt to top off the fuel tank after the fuel pump nozzle shuts off automatically.'
Who isn't interested in getting the best mileage? but I don't believe topping off the tank has anything to do with it or the EVAP system.
And, neither does the referenced quote from the user manual.
The quote regarding topping-off from P 3-27 of the 2014 Versa Note user manual is:
Do not attempt to top off the fuel tank
after the fuel pump nozzle shuts off
automatically. Continued refueling may
cause fuel overflow, resulting in fuel
spray and possibly a fire.

And, that clearly has nothing to do with anything but the hazard presented by spilling fuel.
BTW, the automatic turn-off sensor on the gas filler has no clue how much more gasoline can safely be added to the tank. It senses back pressure at the nozzle and will shut off at different points depending upon the fuel delivery rate and the size of the pipe to the gas tank.

Now, we know that lots of people don't read the manual, and that lots of people routinely top off their tanks. If there is a SPECIFIC problem that can arise, I've never heard of it. Have you?

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”