Fuel economy

The web's first forum dedicated to the Nissan Juke and the Nissan Qazana.
pfager
Car: 2011 Nissan Juke

Anybody else having problems with MPG? My AWD turbo with just over 4,300 miles, driven 60/40 highway/city averages 21.4 MPG. At close to $4 a gallon for premium fuel, it's unacceptable. I haven't seen any significant improvement since the first tank. And I'm calculating my own MPG, not relying on the computer - even though the computer on mine is almost exactly what I'm actually getting.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Please don't take this as an expert opinion because its simply an opinion and I can't back it up by fact in any way...

I've heard that engine computers adjust to driving style. They "learn" how the driver operates the vehicle. Again, may just be a false rumor, but I've had a couple vehicles in the past that seemed to drive a little differently after having the battery disconnected for a while. The theory is that you reset the "learned driving style" in the ECU and let it start over.
The reason I bring it up is that most Jukes are test driven pretty hard. The drivers want to test out that turbo and feel the power, so they hammer them pretty good for the first 50 to 100 miles or more. Perhaps you did the same even after you bought the car. If so, and again, if the rumor is true, then the ECU may have learned to suit an aggressive driving style... one that is not so good on the fuel efficiency.

It couldn't hurt a bit to unplug the battery overnight and see if it resets a little bit. You'll just have to reprogram your radio stations :)

Once you've done that..drive it pretty conservatively for a tank of gas and see what you come up with for fuel mileage.

rcboy514
Car: 2013 VW Golf TDI 4dr 6-speed
2008 A/C 3.5 CVT (sold)
2004 BMW 545i V8 >:-)
1991 BMW 535i I-6

yeah you should be getting better than that, especially considering your majority of driving is highway you should be somewhere in the 25ish range at least. I don't think it is actually a "learning" thing, but since it's averaged it will take it a while to bring that avg back up if in fact you are not hammering it everywhere. That is just regarding the computer, just reset it when you fill up next time and def do what Eikon said, and take it pretty easy for a whole tank, leave it in eco mode and see what you come up with.

Driving style has a very strong influence though. If you just drive "normally" i.e. slow smooth starts, coasting before braking, and just chill driving can make a huge difference, but of course that's not too much fun lol I find that when I drive my brothers Juke you have to kind of keep it in a sweet spot to feel sporty 2500-4000 rpms which won't do too much for your mileage lol

Either way I would think your avg should be a little higher, i'm getting 19mpg consistently with my V6 in town driving only. My wife gets 23 in town with her 2.5 4cyl altima coupe.

Good luck man!

GRey1
Car: 2015 Gun Metallic SL AWD w/Tech
2011 Chrome Nissan Juke SV CVT-AWD

I'm over the 6k mark now and I am getting on average about 23mpg this winter. There is a lot of idle time here, so I'm thinking it should get better when the weather clears up. I'm expecting at least 24 - 25 mpg.

mag318
Car: Nissan Rogue

A friend of mine owns a local Nissan dealership and he tells me anything requiring premium fuel hasn't been selling since even regular has jumped over $4.00 a gallon. This is a shame since some of Nissans best engines require premium. I got out of a Murano for a Rogue in 2008 and have never regretted it. I looked at a Juke when they first came out and was impressed, but knowing were gas prices were heading I just stuck with the Rogue. Now I'm really glad I did.

DOUG2112
Car: 2011 NISSAN JUKE SV

Getting 20mpg. driving it like I stole it. 1600 total miles on it. Mostly city miles. Can't complain . Much more fun than the cute little Rogue. There is no comparison between the two cars.

lynzlew
Car: '11 Nissan Juke

Just bought my Juke on Friday. Idiot salesman told me it took regular gas...guess I should have done my own research. Not too thrilled to find out it takes premium and gas is over $4/gal right now.

DOUG2112
Car: 2011 NISSAN JUKE SV

lynzlew wrote:Just bought my Juke on Friday. Idiot salesman told me it took regular gas...guess I should have done my own research. Not too thrilled to find out it takes premium and gas is over $4/gal right now.
When you think about it, premium fuel adds about 2.50 per whole tank of gas. I'm not gonna worry about it that much. It's worth every penny of it for the fun this car is. :mike

SuBXeRo

Most cars that accept premium will ride fine with medium grade gas. Will you notice a performance difference? My altima rides slightly different with prem over mid grade, or i just want to perceive its better. Yeah gas sux at 4.00 a gallon. Keep it in consideration though, if its 10 cents more a gallon for premium u are only spending 1.30 more a week if u fill up the entire tank.

Most cars now a days are constantly calibrating themselves with lifters in the engine to react to how you drive and how the engine ages and wears itself in. New cars suckkkkkkkk for gas mileage and its because its wearing itself in and learning. Give it time!

GRey1

I'm at over 10k now, just filled up and I got 26 mpg on my last tank. I'm averaging around 25 mpg now with a good mix of Sport/Normal/Eco settings and about 50/50 highway and city driving.

Abear
Car: Juke SV / 09 EX35 Journey / 04 350z Roadster

I have been averaging just over 27 mpg's for the last couple of tanks of gas. This is about 90% city driving, all in normal mode. All calculations are done manually, the car's computer is about 1.5 mpg's to low.

GRey1

I am also calculating manually, based on mileage since last fill up and gallons purchased to fill up.

Lowes11
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL

With the turbo I would not use regular gas. When I had my Altima SE-R I got better gas mileage with premium unleaded. When gas prices went up I made sure I used premium because of the better mileage. I would not led premium gas keep me from buying a Juke. I have a Rogue now and I wish I waited for a Juke. They are nicer inside and have more HP.

subaruman
Car: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
2011 Nissan Juke SV

Eikon wrote:Please don't take this as an expert opinion because its simply an opinion and I can't back it up by fact in any way...

I've heard that engine computers adjust to driving style. They "learn" how the driver operates the vehicle. Again, may just be a false rumor, but I've had a couple vehicles in the past that seemed to drive a little differently after having the battery disconnected for a while. The theory is that you reset the "learned driving style" in the ECU and let it start over.
The reason I bring it up is that most Jukes are test driven pretty hard. The drivers want to test out that turbo and feel the power, so they hammer them pretty good for the first 50 to 100 miles or more. Perhaps you did the same even after you bought the car. If so, and again, if the rumor is true, then the ECU may have learned to suit an aggressive driving style... one that is not so good on the fuel efficiency.

It couldn't hurt a bit to unplug the battery overnight and see if it resets a little bit. You'll just have to reprogram your radio stations :)

Once you've done that..drive it pretty conservatively for a tank of gas and see what you come up with for fuel mileage.

Took your advice on this seeing as how the Juke was only getting between 22-26 MPG. Girlfriend drove it to work today and she got close to 30!!! That is a first. Thanks for the tip, we'll see if the trend continues.

We were real close to going back to the dealership and informing them of false advertisement and breach of contract. This will probably save them some grief.

Thanks again.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

I was wondering if your mileage has improved? This article on the 2012 Juke says that there are issues with the EPA rated fuel efficiency numbers. Several people have reported getting well below the advertised mileage.

EPA rates the Juke as high as 32 mpg highway, but in our experience, daily driving will yield results below even the city mileage of 24-27 mpg. We've logged about 24 mpg in a few Juke moves, and have seen 22 mpg or less from other publications.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/review/ ... ke_green_7

rcboy514
Car: 2013 VW Golf TDI 4dr 6-speed
2008 A/C 3.5 CVT (sold)
2004 BMW 545i V8 >:-)
1991 BMW 535i I-6

I would be pissed if I bought the juke for mileage. My bro is only getting low-mid 20's and even driving 65mph for an hour or so highway he said he didnt get above 25-26

anthony870
Car: '11 Nissan Juke 1.6L Turbo S
'09 Nissan Versa 1.8L S H/B (traded)

I have been getting between 30-33 mpg in my Juke S FWD. i mainly drive the interstate and highway with few traffic lights. i travel between 68-71 mph on the interstate and 60mph on the highway. i drive about 75 miles a day round trip for work. I was using up to 10% ethanol when i was getting the 30-33 mpg. I have just found a ethanol free gas station with premium gas that I filled my last tank with. I am actually going to have to fill up tomorrow, but I was able to tell from the start that the ethanol free is going to make a difference. It is looking much better. I am also using the NTD throttle controller which i keep on EC5 and that has helped a lot since i think the throttle is extremely sensitive, at least compared to the '09 Versa I had before.

Return to “Juke Forum | Qazana Forum”