Fuel Economy-part Deux-life with my 16 Versa Note

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
gmansyz
Car: 2016, Nissan Versa Note

Up to 3600 miles
30.3 mpg. Added the HPS Intake. A little noisy but wifey likes it.
33.4 mpg with a lot of freeway driving as I needed to go to the doggy eye doctor. She had the tumor and the eye removed.
The HPS Intake works okay. Fit is decent as it it 1/8" from the positive terminal on the battery. If things move around, it could wear thru the rubber cover on the term I album and problems arise. Once I figure out the best solution, maybe cutting a half an inch out of it, I will be more relaxed. I have found that it really is only loud/noisy when you start to drive it hard. As in getting enthusiastic away from normal driving. Then you do not even notice it. As stated, wifey likes it.
Called dealer, finally, and they insisted no updates were installed in the computer. So, maybe gas formulation changed? Air kit made no difference in performance. Oh well. I don't think it ever possible to get to the rated 40 mpg the factory thinks it can do on the freeway. I calculate my mileage. Not go by the readout in the dash.
I have the lowering planned along with the Bully Dog tuner. Maybe even exhaust. That I would need to make myself. Borla or Magnaflow? What do you think? Do not want it to sound like a buzz bomb.
All for now, got some motorcycle projects to finish.
Laters

gmansyz

Alrighty, got a Bully Dog tuner ordered. Got 20% off so was hard to resist. Will read the instructions thoroughly before using.
Will let you know when I get it and start messing with it.
G

sw99
Car: Versa

Bought my 2016 Versa in May of 2016 and have hand calculated mileage since then. I average just under 36 mpg for the full run. Summers I get in the 37-40 range and winters range from 32-35 here in Colorado at 5K above sea level. I have the lower rated 4 speed auto mpg versa just FYI. I do drive 60-70% highway on a soft pedal if that helps.

gmansyz

Very interesting. You get better economy in the summer. Must be the formation of the fuel is changing from the winter to summer. Does it run better or worse in the summer?
I have the cvt trans. I do not know why Nissan gave it steps when it should be strapless. Four speed auto? I think is should be adequate.
Tomorrow my tuner is supposed to arrive. Can hardly wait!
G

gmansyz

Got the tuner. Spent a day just looking for the fuse box.
Did not really have time to find a switched hot fuse for the power. Hopefully soon.
G

sw99
Car: Versa

gmansyz wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:14 pm
Very interesting. You get better economy in the summer. Must be the formation of the fuel is changing from the winter to summer. Does it run better or worse in the summer?
I have the cvt trans. I do not know why Nissan gave it steps when it should be strapless. Four speed auto? I think is should be adequate.
Tomorrow my tuner is supposed to arrive. Can hardly wait!
G
Yea, here in CO we have summer and winter blended fuels. Runs the same, just worse fuel mileage in the winter. Curious if the tuner does anything for you.

gmansyz

Been a wee bit o time. Had trouble with the tuner that took a few weeks to solve. Got errors and would not download the proper files for my car. Got it sorted and played with it. It reads ignition timing but is way off. Like 90 degrees. A/F ratio doesn't work either. But the throttle position works. And engine temp too. Just on the low side. After $430 I feel it is not really worth it. The best part is it reduces the effects of the traction control. Which really, with 109 horsepower and about the same torque, is never ever a problem unless you are on ice. The throttle response is ever so slightly quicker. Messed with the regular and premium fuel tunes. Goes the same either way. And perhaps, even better with regular fuel in it and the regular fuel tune. Air intake still no effect. As we too, still have the winter fuel mix. Did not even bother with checking the fuel economy. I am considering trying to find a cable operated throttle body that has the cruise control and selling the Bully Dog tuner off since the biggest effect is only the traction control. Still have no idea why all the small cars with low power engines even get it. Plus, my wife's 2009 Toyota Yaris with only a K&N filter and 96K miles, still is more responsive and even faster than the Versa. Even gets better fuel economy too. I don't foresee even getting close to the 40mpg highway Nissan claims.
I am thinkling next to lower it a little with better suspension before any exhaust mods and blocking off the moving grill portion of the radiator. Open the lower pan up in front of the joke of a front spoiler. Look to improve this design as well.
Any idea on where I might find a stainless header for the 1600 and an older throttle body?
Tnx
G

gmansyz

Good News.
Wifey says WE can get the special coil over and shocks this coming July.
Bad news. Fuel mileage just went down to 29 mpg.
Oh well.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

With the viewpoint you had there you pretty much had to find that out for yourself..................I used to sell Bully and never had satisfied people with them. Could have given that to you but we clashed too hard to do it. Sorry.

Next? Consider how you will provide idle control using a cable throttle, the wi-fi throttle body controls idle but a cable one needs an IAC of some sort and an ECM with IAC software control.................you'll have idle errors coming out of your ears.

I'll again leave you alone with one last thought..............look at the a/c clutch operation percentage, it seems that Nissan has the a/c clutch on a LOT more than most think. I'm finding it going on even with the a/c switch off and not talking about the normal it being on in windshield defrost. Whopping numbers of complaints over it in more than one model. There's likely a bit of mileage there..........

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”