Frozen Intellikeys?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
exeunt
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Phantom Pearl

There have been a few occasions where I've actually had to pull out my real key when the Intellikey stopped working. Both times were during freezing temperatures where I had been outside for a bit. I'm thinking that it might be freezing up or something. Has anyone had the same issue?

Both times though, I had gone in to start the Rogue and come out again to go inside, or wipe snow off, while leaving it running. When I returned it failed to recognize the key. Perhaps this had something to do with it. I might try out a test and leave my keys outside to see if the fob & intellikey still work.

Jaded TC
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

If you left it running why would you need the key? The door(s) are unlocked and the car would still be running, right? I have done this before. I have also left the key in the console at a car wash where they pull it in, turn it off and restart it again to pull it out. When is the key not working?

exeunt

When I leave the car running to warm up, I want to not leave it unlocked in the driveway. Easy way for thieves to pick up free cars. So I lock it and come back. Upon returning the fob / intellikey button didn't work.

Another time, I basically just got out to scrape and wipe snow off, when I got back in, the red KEY light was on the entire time. I drove for a bit, but then pulled over not wanting to be stranded somewhere if my key didn't work. Sure enough, it didn't start again. I had to get out of the car, get back in after a few mins and try again, when it finally worked.

Jaded TC

exeunt wrote:When I leave the car running to warm up, I want to not leave it unlocked in the driveway. Easy way for thieves to pick up free cars. So I lock it and come back. Upon returning the fob / intellikey button didn't work.
It looks like you need to leave 1 fob / intellikey in the car when locking it while running then carry the second fob / intellikey with you so it can be unlocked without using the real key or triggering a warning.From the manual: Doors will not lock with the request switchwhen the Intelligent Key is left inside thevehicle. However, when an Intelligent Key isinside the vehicle, doors can be locked withanother registered Intelligent Key.Not sure if you would have to use the intellikey button to unlock it. I would think not, but not sure and it's too darn cold here right now to try just using the door buttons while carrying the other intellikey.
exeunt wrote:Another time, I basically just got out to scrape and wipe snow off, when I got back in, the red KEY light was on the entire time. I drove for a bit, but then pulled over not wanting to be stranded somewhere if my key didn't work. Sure enough, it didn't start again. I had to get out of the car, get back in after a few mins and try again, when it finally worked.
Not sure if you locked the doors and / or turned it off for the snow removal, but I have got out with the intellikey in my pocket left it running, didn't lock the doors, went several feet from the car and got back in with no problem.I'm sure you looked over the manual too, so I hope this helps.TC

lozen13

I have gone in a started it and went back in house and it does not shut off when the intelli key is not present

exeunt

The engine has never shut off before, however upon my return the Intellikey, and the fob keys no longer function. It takes a few minutes for it to kick in again. I haven't yet determined whether its the actual cold or some bug with leaving the car running and walking away.

exeunt

Bah.. Frozen Intellikeys are driving me insane. I go out, and between shovelling my way out of the driveway and getting into my Rogue, the key has gotten cold enough that it no longer works, and I need to whip out the manual key.

So this hasn't happened to anyone else yet? I'm thinking I may have to open 'er up and see if there are any loose contacts shrinking due to the cold.

lozen13

No problems here in similar cold climate

killercross
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

No problem the way you have described it however I have had the unlock button for the intell key on the rear hatch seem to freeze. the others worked fin ebut the hatch one didn't. It was about -18c but dry.

mwhatiam

Hi! What is the manual key? I just got my Rogue with the Intellikey thingy system and I was only given two transmitters and that's it. What manual key are you speaking of, as I did not receive anything else with my vehicle. Is that mechanism in the steering column key hole suppose to come out and be recplaced by another key?

Derango
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Package

On the back of the key there should be a little switch. If you move it over and then pull on the silver part, an actual key comes out in case the battery in the intellikey is dead.

You can open the doors and start the car with it. The ignition thingy has a little flap that can be pushed in to allow the manual key to be inserted. It's all in the owners manual. I suggest you read through that section for more info.

mwhatiam

Thanks Derango. I'm working through the manual, but having more fun driving the car. For the most part, I've been able to accomplish that without needing the manual too much.

shavimusha
Car: 2008 NISSAN ROUGE SL AWD / 1998 NISSAN MAXIMA GXE

yes mine freezes to in bad wather in rain snow or very cold weater but never had to use keys it works after couple of attempts !

Derango
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Package

Just to provide another data point, I live north of shavimushn in central NY and I haven't had any problems with my intelligent key, cold weather or not. My car is kept outside and I often time have to spend several minutes brushing it off (like this morning...bah)

exeunt

Its not the car being outside, its the key. If I'm outside with the key in my pocket for a few minutes, it seems to prevent the key from working.

I've switched up with my wife to see if her key has the same issues.

Return to “Rogue Forum”