Front Rotors..Nothing is gonna stop me!

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
Nissan3m
Car: 1995 Nissan XE, 1995 Nissan Altima, 2000 Infiniti I30

The stock rotors on my 2015 Q50s provide fantastic stopping power, however, after 17K miles I am starting to notice a shake when braking. I would like to upgrade for both cosmetic and performance reasons. Can anyone recommend a good rotor that is drilled or slotted. My budget is $600-$700 for a set of 4.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

That's a huge budget for rotors alone, so you should be able to afford some pads as well. I like Stoptech. Brembo is good to, but sometimes overpriced, so I shop around between the two. I go for performance over cosmetic though, so I don't use drilled or slotted rotors. You might like both drilled and slotted or maybe slotted, but I wouldn't recommend just drilled. Better pad material will decrease stopping distance, reduce fade during hard braking sessions and produce less gas. Good tires will benefit braking as well. Steel braided brake lines are useful for when it all gets hot.

Tread wear and balance, low brake fluid, dirty ABS sensors, worn pads or warped rotors might contribute to a shake. But it sounds like it's just your pads and rotors wearing out.

marcone11
Car: q50 infiniti

I put like 4 months ago front and rear
Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit with pad $187.10 USD just front DRILLED & SLOTTED and
EBC DRILLED & SLOTTED on rear with pad =$ 244.00 usd
never get hot

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

Before you splurge, I believe there is a TSB for that. I'm going to take mine in for it this week.

If you want to knock it out of the park, Z1 Motorsports has two piece rotors that kick tons of a** and save a lot of weight, but I think they're outside of your budget. They do, however, sell really good single-piece rotors (stoptech, I believe?) that will work within your budget. Get some good pads and fluid if you do the whole thing and you'll be gold.

Nissan3m

Thank you for all the great advice,

I did pickup a full set of Stop Tech Performance Slotted Rotors and they look amazing. I was thinking about pairing them with AKEBONO PERFORMANCE® ULTRA-PREMIUM CERAMIC BRAKE PADS since I want to keep the stock Calipers made of Akebono. Do you think they would make a great pair? Its another $170.00 just to put the pads on and I just spend $475.00 for the 4 rotors. That would put me right at my max budget. Other Pad recommendations?

Nissan3m

RicerX wrote:Before you splurge, I believe there is a TSB for that. I'm going to take mine in for it this week.

If you want to knock it out of the park, Z1 Motorsports has two piece rotors that kick tons of a** and save a lot of weight, but I think they're outside of your budget. They do, however, sell really good single-piece rotors (stoptech, I believe?) that will work within your budget. Get some good pads and fluid if you do the whole thing and you'll be gold.

Yes, I took mine in for a TSB but they said no TSB was issued for that problem and that the problem is based on driving habits! I called a second dealership and the story was similar. They did mention they would fix the problem for $550.00 but that just added insult to injury.

Tkvtec
Car: Q50S

Nissan3m wrote: Yes, I took mine in for a TSB but they said no TSB was issued for that problem and that the problem is based on driving habits! I called a second dealership and the story was similar. They did mention they would fix the problem for $550.00 but that just added insult to injury.
Unfortunately, it is usually the case that driving habits cause warping. Heavy braking or even just long braking followed by sitting at a stop light creates hot spots on the rotors from the pads sitting in one spot. This is also more common on automatics where the car just wants to go, versus a manual where you might get away with less or no pedal pressure. Try to never fully stop more than a moment after hard braking. For exit ramps with lights, stop a little short and inch your way up to minimize the pads sitting in one place on the rotors.

As for the Akebono Ceramics, I'm currently using them on another car and like them so far.

PostalsQ

I went with StopTech slotted and drilled for front and rear. StopTech has an axle pack. Includes rotors & pads. Very satisfied with my new brakes. My old set was vibrating badly when I braked hard. Z1 is better. But for the price. I'm really happy with my new set. And it'll be in the price range you listed

Nissan3m

Went with the StopTech Slotted Rotors! Got them installed this weekend! What a much needed improvement! ! Thanks for all the advice guys! Drive Safe!!

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I've been running stoptech slotted on my G for quite a few years and they have been great. Only turned them once at this point. I'm running Project Mu Type NS front pads and they do a great job. At one point I swapped the fronts over to Hawk HPS and after a couple weeks I swapped them back to the NS's as they had less braking performance than the NS's.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

So I just bought the stoptech slotted rotors on RockAuto yesterday. Can't wait. I did end up getting the Stoptech Street Performance pads - I'm wondering how they'll stack up compared to the Project Mu Type NS as I was heavily considering those before I found the 4th of July deal on RockAuto.

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”