Front passenger side ball joint issue

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
benjamin_313
Car: ???

Hello everyone, I am thinking of buying a 1993 2+0 N/A 300zx, however a problem it has is in regards to steering. The owner has said that he believes it's a ball joint issue which has occured multiple times, which leads me to believe I will have to possibly replace the suspension parts for the front passenger side. Would anyone by chance, know what is going on, or has had a similar experience with this problem?

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

What is the exact issue with the steering? Noises, pulling to one side, shaking, loose, etc. If ball joint(ill assume outer tie rod) has been replaced with a quality parts then probably other issues. If you dont know what to look for, I'd recommend you look for a local shop that knows these cars. It is very hard to suggest a solution over the internet for suspension as most of us need to "feel" the problems.

benjamin_313

itsa300zx wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:55 am
What is the exact issue with the steering? Noises, pulling to one side, shaking, loose, etc. If ball joint(ill assume outer tie rod) has been replaced with a quality parts then probably other issues. If you dont know what to look for, I'd recommend you look for a local shop that knows these cars. It is very hard to suggest a solution over the internet for suspension as most of us need to "feel" the problems.
According to the seller, he says the steering feels very loose, he's had an issue where it gave out on him while driving in his neighborhood. I'd assume it definitely has to do with something like the suspension, which in worse case-scenario I'd just end up replacing.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

benjamin_313 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:02 am
itsa300zx wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:55 am
According to the seller, he says the steering feels very loose, he's had an issue where it gave out on him while driving in his neighborhood. I'd assume it definitely has to do with something like the suspension, which in worse case-scenario I'd just end up replacing.
Yeah, that is very vague, could be as simple as PS rack bushings(likely cause) to bent or worn out suspension parts.

benjamin_313

:frown:
itsa300zx wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:25 am
benjamin_313 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:02 am

Yeah, that is very vague, could be as simple as PS rack bushings(likely cause) to bent or worn out suspension parts.
Yeah, he just replied saying he's had the control arm replaced, I believe there's something wrong with bushings. Unless it's a tie rod.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”