Front License plate alternative?

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
carp37
Car: G37S

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone knows of an alternative place to mount a front plate, other than drilling holes into the bumper on a G37? I know Stillen makes one for G35's and350Z's that mounts on the factory tow bracket. I have contacted Stillen and am waiting for their answer. Thanks!

carp37

I found the answer! Stillen makes a license bracket that fits in the tow hook. It is #105470. It fits the 2006 G35, but after measuring, I am 99% certain that it will fit my G37S. I am ordering it direct from Stillen tonight, for $65.95 and Free shipping!! No holes drilled in my front bumper!!

IvoryG37

where can i get this??

also please post pix when u have this on!!

I live in NY and i hate the front plate but I also dont want to pay $85 everytime a cop sees me without 1

carp37

I purchased it at Stillen.com, online. Delivered, after handling fees of $9.95, and California tax, the total was $81. You probably won't have the tax fee. I will take a pic and post it online when installed. It should arrive this week.

G37GPTX
Car: 2008 G37S Coupe

carp37 wrote:Stillen makes a license bracket that fits in the tow hook. It is #105470. It fits the 2006 G35, but after measuring, I am 99% certain that it will fit my G37S...., for $65.95 and Free shipping!! No holes drilled in my front bumper!!
Below is the link to the license plate bracket from Stillen. I created something with a similar concept for my G35. It was simply a bolt and strip of metal that I bought from Home Depot and it cost me less then $20 (FYI, you need a large socket or wrench). I had to do some bending and drilling, so it wasn’t quite as easy or nice as what Stillen offers. Although after you mount it, you don't see the mount, so it doesn’t really matter. I hope it works for the G37, because the tow hook mount isn’t in the same place as it was on the G35. It is actually off to one side, behind the mesh in the bumper. I am anxious to see pictures after you mount it.

If I get a ticket for no front plate, then I will look into adding the front plate. I think I can make something similar to what I created for my G35. The difference will be that I will bolt one end of the strip of metal to the towing mount. I will attach the factory license plate bracket to the other end of the strip of metal. That way I can have the plate in the center of the bumper.

http://www.stillen.com/product...202DR
Modified by G37GPTX at 10:42 AM 2/3/2008

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Here is an alternative being used by the Altima guys

http://forums.altimas.org/zerothread?id=309117

carp37

I finally received the Stillen plate holder. The shaft was a bit short, and did not bottom out in the tow holder so I had to put several winds of Teflon tape around it to keep it in position. I also bent the frame a bit to match the curvature of the bumper. I don't really care for the look, but it is better than drilling into the bumper. I think I like the Altima plate holder better, but I now own this one. Maybe Stillen will come up with a better alternative for the G37's some time this year. Though any plate in front end looks ugly, I'm not sure that I want to pay the no front license ticket fees

IvoryG37

so if ur state requiresa front plate and the dealer will install the front plate bracket and they will drill a hole on your bumper?????
carp37 wrote:
I finally received the Stillen plate holder. The shaft was a bit short, and did not bottom out in the tow holder so I had to put several winds of Teflon tape around it to keep it in position. I also bent the frame a bit to match the curvature of the bumper. I don't really care for the look, but it is better than drilling into the bumper. I think I like the Altima plate holder better, but I now own this one. Maybe Stillen will come up with a better alternative for the G37's some time this year. Though any plate in front end looks ugly, I'm not sure that I want to pay the no front license ticket fees

a

carp37

That is how I was told to install it, and had to do on my G35 previously.

IvoryG37

just to follow up on this

so will the dealer MUST drill 2 holes in front of the bumper to put the front plate??

I'm getting my ride tomo, let me know so I can call my sale guy and tell him to DONT DRILL ANY HOLES!!!!!!

hemizygote
Car: 2008 Infiniti G37

I haven't done it on the G37 (and probably wont), but in my 2004 Dodge Ram I modded the passenger sun visor to where it would house the license plate. Then all I would have to do is flip down the visor and the license plate was easily visible.

I don't know how well that would work with the G37 with the angle of the roof and the windshield. It might have to be played with a bit to where you flip down the visor then put the LP down a bit.

But the Dodge visors were under 20 bucks to replace if you jacked it up....I doubt they are that cheap on the G37. Plus if you have a tint strip on the windshield....it may reduce LP visibility.

Just putting another option out there......

IvoryG37

carp37 wrote:

can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post close up pix of this!!!

frenetic
Car: 1993 240sx Coupe

IvoryG37 wrote:just to follow up on this

so will the dealer MUST drill 2 holes in front of the bumper to put the front plate??

I'm getting my ride tomo, let me know so I can call my sale guy and tell him to DONT DRILL ANY HOLES!!!!!!
This depends... if they already have the car on their lot and it's been there for a while, it unfortunately has (most likely) already been drilled. If you get a car picked out before it goes to detail, you can probably get them to hold off on the license plate. In states that require front mounted license plates, though, you'll be hard pressed to find a dealership that doesn't mount the front plates. It's worth a shot though, give them a call. Couldn't hurt...

330badboyg37

there is no dealer going to drill anything it to anywhere dont worry

tutex
Car: 2008 g35x

why even put on front plates? I know its illegal but no one cares

kevinf
Car: 2008 Infiniti G37 Sport 6MT

tutex wrote:why even put on front plates? I know its illegal but no one cares
Believe me, in urban areas, there are individuals that care. Such as the dedicated team of professional meter maids that ride around in Jeeps earning their salary by ticketing any and all codes a parked vehicle is violating regardless of whether the meter is expired or not. No front license plate? Spot it instantly.. $25 fine. Rack up 3 of these, or any combination of ticket before paying one of them? Car is BOOTED.

Or what if you happen to reside or drive through regularly a city that has excessive taxes? Those of which are graciously given to police which in turn put ridiculous amounts of traffic cops out, specifically at night? Ones that might possibly enjoy targeting nice vehicles for simple violations which allow them to pull them over. And say you had a drink one night, maybe not even over the legal limit.. That little traffic stop may end up completely ruining your night, embarrassing you and your date, and all because you didn't have a front license plate attached.

So, yes, people do care in a lot of metropolitan areas... maybe not yours, or many people's, but they do exist. For those of us that do live in these areas, it is a DAILY major pain in the *** dealing with NOT having the front plate.

IvoryG37

bump

WESIDE
Car: 2006 g35 coupe

Got mine from the dealer new and had to sign a waiver knowing that it was illegal to not have a front plate. No holes so far

06x

I got an 06 G35 from a private seller in PA, where they do not require front plates. It will now be registered in NY, where they do.

What options do I have?

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

There is a seller on eBay who sells something similar to the Stillen kits. They have you do some measurements first so that it fits right instead of relying on the "oh-so-wonderful" Stillen.

06x

Sentientbydesign wrote:There is a seller on eBay who sells something similar to the Stillen kits. They have you do some measurements first so that it fits right instead of relying on the "oh-so-wonderful" Stillen.
Like these?

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0..._mdoZ

Bluetune
Car: 2010 infiniti convertible sport coupe fully loaded

I ordered the same plate holder for my 2010 G37 convertible. It didn't fit. The receptacle that you screw the post into was larger. I also have an 03 G35S coupe. The plate holder fit the G35. So the tow hook receptacle is larger on the G37S coupe vert. I did order the holder that they said fits the G37. I am wondering if the receptical on the Convertible version is larger that the standard G37 coupe. Does anyone know? or am I missing a screw in adapter? The convertible did not come with a tow hook.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”