Front hub dust caps - do they exist?

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
epossum
Car: 2000 Pathfinder
1998 Altima GXE

Good morning,

I'm fixing up a '98 Altima GXE for someone. I see there are no caps on the front wheel hubs, leaving the threaded end of the axle as well as the nut and cotter pin exposed. I would think this open hub would also allow dirt and water to get into the wheel bearings.

I searched here to see if I could find out if this car actually comes with a hub cap to protect these exposed threads. I found nothing. I also searched the Web as well as the Nissan parts sites and can find absolutely no reference to a cap on the front wheel hubs. So, here's my question:

Is this car supposed to have a cap on the front wheel hub?

If so, does anyone know anything that would help me track down this part? I did a rough measurement and it looks like the hub bore is right about 58mm, or 2-5/16" diameter. I see the rear wheels DO have a hub cap, and if I find out from someone here that the front wheels should also have a cap I'm thinking about pulling one of the rear wheel caps to see if it will fit the front hub. The rear hub cap shows up in my searches, and it looks like it is readily available.

Thanks in advance for any help!

epossum

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

If you look in the FSM it does not show dust caps on the front axle, only shows them on rear axle in the illustrations...

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual? ... ma/1998/fa
http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual? ... ma/1998/ra

epossum
1998 Altima GXE

Thanks for the info! I actually have a copy of the FSM, and looked there as well. I saw the same thing you see - no caps on the hubs.

I have to say it just doesn't seem right to have the hubs uncovered.

As for the FSM, that thing leaves a LOT to be desired. I know this because I just got through trying to work with that manual to replace the head, timing chains and sprockets and various other parts on this '98 Altima. The manual left out a lot of info that would have been helpful. Luckily I took plenty of photos plus I have a great memory for mechanical stuff. If not for that I'd still be out in the driveway trying to put that engine back together. And just for the record, that was the hardest car to work on I've ever touched.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

LOTS of cars of varying brands leave the axle threads open to the elements, the wheel covers generally keep a good portion of water away from the axle ends. My '11 Versa does exactly the same.

epossum
1998 Altima GXE

Thanks for the info, amc49!

I guess I'll just quit worrying about the open hubs. I still say this a crummy way to design something. This car was driven who knows how long with the wheel cover off one of the front wheels, so it had zero protection. I ordered covers, so that will take care of that problem.

sky5031
Car: 200sx ,240sx, 300zx ,altima, frontier

There no caps requred because there are no bearings on that surface, they are sealed bearings on back side and part of the steering knuckle.
threaded output shaft, washer, nut and cotter pin are on the outside of this hub, you might want to spray little oil to limit the rust, but doesnt hurt the parts to be exposed. sky5031

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”