Front end pulsating while braking.

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
j30newb
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30 Base model.

Trying to see if anyone has had this issue. My 1993 J30 has over 162k on it, this poor cars been beat up. My issue is as follows, whenever I'm driving the J and I brake the front end feels like the ABS might be worn out, because it feels almost like the CALIPERS themselves are pulsating, but it's not a warped rotor feel because the steering wheel doesn't pulsate or shake, the feelings in the brakes itself like I can actually tell the caliper piston clamp an release. I'm compelled to think it's the ABS Pump but figured I'd ask around before I tried to crack this peanut open. I'm new to this car and have learned that she's particular when it comes to maintenance, ALSO, I have no codes popping up just to be clear. Anybody have this issue before on their J30?

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

I know you dont believe the rotors are the cause....but these cars go through rotors like crazy! Esp the cheap chinese ones.....Before you spend lots of $$, change the rotors and pads, evaluate the calipers for sticking, then look elsewhere if you need.

j30newb

Good to know. I only threw this thread up because I have checked the Pads and they still have quite a bit of meat on their bones. Plus, from my personal experience with cars usually warped rotors cause your steering wheel to shake. This feels like i can actually feel the caliper piston clamping and retracting from the ABS system actuating.

J30inthe sun
Car: 1997 J30

I would imagine if the ABS is kicking when braking, you would come to a stop dramatically. Is that what's happening? I had had what I thought was warped rotors before but the problem was worn tension rod bushings (the steering wheel DID shimmy when braking). Replacing the tension rod bushings fixed the problem (they make polyurethane bushings for the 300zx that are a perfect fit for the j30) .

fourdrinie

the tension rod bushings are easy to see if theyre defective....theyre all mushy and dripping.
If I remember correctly, I have replaced my rotors at least 5-7 times in the 16 years I've owned my J30.
The feeling is not so much in the steering wheel as in when one of the front tires is unbalanced, but you can feel the front wheels vibrating or pulsing with the discs shaking....

j30newb

Yeah that's what I've been worried about, is the brakes locking up on me because of what I thought It might have been. I've never felt that caliper pulsation before, figured it might have been the ABS pump fluctuating do to being an older car that had sat. I kinda bought a parts car for a daily driver. So I guess i'm getting my J30 education since it needs some work. Simply put the car needs some MAJOR TLC. I'm looking at going with cross drilled slotted rotors to help alleviating any chance of rotor warp and give the old gal some help. Just wished they had made more suspension parts for it. "WHAT YEAR 300Z URETHANE KIT fits for the J30? that I'd be really interested in getting. :dblthumb:

J30inthe sun
Car: 1997 J30

j30newb wrote:"WHAT YEAR 300Z URETHANE KIT fits for the J30? that I'd be really interested in getting. :dblthumb:
I don't know, I have a shop that specializes in Nissan and Infiniti do all my work, Z-Racing Tampa Florida.

fourdrinie

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”