Front-end clunking/rattling/squeaking sound on 2014 Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
FORNPlay26
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD, Family Tech Package

I have this annoying issue on my 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD. Clunking/Rattling/Squeaking sounds on small bumps, and on low speed are heard on the Front Driver's Side, and it seems like the same is starting on the Front Passenger's side. Front sway bushings were already replaced by Nissan, but the same sounds were still there. Brought it back, and they said the squeaking comes from hood panel, and the clunking/rattling comes from the LF splash shield and subframe. They said they adjusted the hoodstops, and they insulated/dampened the splash shield against the subframe, and reported the noise to be gone on road test. They assured me that the suspension system is A-OK, and there's nothing to worry about. But then, the same sounds can still be heard on small bumps, and on low speed. The car was pretty solid to drive last summer, and the issues were first noticed when it started getting cold last fall. I have never been rough on my car with regards to my driving, and could not recall any major bumps or deep potholes that would cause any damage to the car's undercarriage components. Anyone having the same issues with their Nissan Rogues? It is just so frustrating and disappointing to drive around with a brand-new clunker.

Maximus099
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I too have a 2014 sv awd wth the same issue. They ordered parts for the front suspension last week and will be going in next week to replace it. I believe they will be doing exactly what your dealer has done. Very embarrassing since the noise is noticeable inside the vehicule at low speeds. Will keep this site posted if the noise disappears or not after the fix.

stokerwes
Car: 2014
Rogue SV AWD w Family Tech Package

Had the same issue on my 2014 on the front passenger side. Dealer replaced entire strut assembly. Spring,strut,upper and lower mounts. It took two and a half months for the parts to arrive. Noise went away but is now back about three months later. Took it back to dealer they cannot pinpoint where the noise is coming from, so I have to bring it back when roads are dry, so somtie in August :yesnod . Car is well taken are of and onky has 24k km on it.
If anyone has had this issue resolved please pass it on.

gobblerman
Car: 2015 Rogue SV AWD family package

Interesting that you have family package. Wonder if it is related to the harsh riding run flats. I wonder if the other two had run flats as well. I say this because I have the run flats and feel every bump. At times
I think I have a clunk but it's not consistent.

Maximus099

No run flats here and only 10k kms. 2014 sv awd. Very embarassing when people are around the car outside since its very noticeable and on such a new vehicule.

FORNPlay26

I also have the Family Tech Package with Run-Flat tires. Ride is stiff because of the hard rubber of the RFT's.

stokerwes

The dealer replaced the control arm as the bushing were making noise. When on the lift the technician could reproduce the noise.
This was done a few days ago and so far no noise, I really hope this fixed the issue.
Other than this noise we have loved the vehicle.
Hope this helps other resolve the issue with their Rogue.

n0s_speed
Car: 2015 Nissan Altima SV
2015 Nissan Rogue S
2013 Nissan Versa

stokerwes wrote:The dealer replaced the control arm as the bushing were making noise. When on the lift the technician could reproduce the noise.
This was done a few days ago and so far no noise, I really hope this fixed the issue.
Other than this noise we have loved the vehicle.
Hope this helps other resolve the issue with their Rogue.
i have to ask....did you have to pay for the parts and labor or was it covered under warranty?

Maximus099

Everything was done under waranty. Make sure they give you a copy of what they've done to the car in case the issue comes back after the waranty expires at least you have proof that it started before.

stokerwes

Spoke too soon. Noise is back, even though it's covered under warranty I'm getting tired of going back to the dealership for the same thing. This will be visit number eight. I am starting to feel the technicians are just changing parts until the noise goes away. Pretty much have a new passenger front end now with 24k (15k miles) on it.
I am hoping they fix this issue soon otherwise no more Nissan for this guy.
Now I am waiting for a headlight assembly as one has condendsation in it.
If anyone out there has this issue resolved please pass it on.

V4KISH
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL (White)

Even i have the same problem in my Rogue SL 2014.

Went to the dealer and got the rear suspension replaced but i still hear the squeaking noise from left rear end. Planning to visit the dealer tmrw. Will keep your posted.

Maximus099

Since they changed the coil spring the noise hasnt come back. almost 1 month.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i believe i have this clunk(hard solid metal), but it sounds like it coming from the rear. maybe bearings(hub), bushing, etc. i will try and lube & inspect everything in the coming weeks as the weather warms up.

i also thought it might be the rear spare tire clunking around in the back.

FORNPlay26

Hi, Guys! All the annoying, irritating sounds I have been hearing with my Rogue all-winter suddenly disappeared when the weather went up to positive temp. As if nothing happened. My wife and I have been trying to listen for any sound/noise for a couple of weeks now whenever we drive, but everything seems back to what it is before winter. Maybe my service advisor was right after all that it was just the frozen plastic splash shield. I am really hoping the smooth drive stays at it is for good.

darkelipse04
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Hi All,

I've been hearing something similar after shifting into drive for the first couple of minutes of my morning drive only when it is below 50 degrees.

It sounds more like a high pitched whistling noise that occurs when driving or barking. Braking does not alter the noise and it seems to go away after the car has warmed up. When the temps warmed up outside it went away...I haven't taken it to the dealer yet but will mention it on my first oil change.

Driving a 2015 Rogue SV AWD, around 1500 miles on it now after purchasing it in mid December.

FORNPlay26

Any update on you, guys? Almost three months now since temp went above zero. No abnormal sounds. Have your problems been resolved, too?

darkelipse04
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

The odd noise I was hearing did go away when the temps increased...the dealer couldn't replicate it when it was still in the 40's unfortunately.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

just checked and its deff not my hub bearings. so its got to be sway bars, struts, or control arms(with ball joints).

sckeith
Car: 2017 Versa Note SL, Red

Hello

I just had our 2014 Rogue in for it's second maintenance check, we were also getting a bank on small bumps and the dealer said it was a control arm that they are ordering

NamesClear
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV

Wondering if I'll get a response. I'm getting the same metal clanking sound coming from driver front on bumps and also when I shift from drive to reverse and I press the brake when backing up I have a metallic clank from the rear end as well. As for the front, recently had lower control arms replaced because the ball joints were bad. Was assured there was nothing wrong with the rest of the suspension. Yet she just seems to be getting rougher and rougher no matter how much I baby her.im at a loss as to what to do here. Recently had the driver cv boot axel and boot replaces too

macgiver

Cold weather makes these cheap as crap post 2000's car's STRUT TOWERS very VERY noisy when winter comes around - so if it gradually disappears as temps warm up = virtually NOTHING YOU CAN DO ?? Even possibly nothing TO DO ?? BUt waste $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ( hard earned ? )
:wtf2:..................January......February ........March right ? Try tower braces ( $150 ??? ) + lot's of Silly-cone spray ( $6 a can ?? )on ANY rubber 'insulators' .

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

This is why I also baby my suspension when going over bumps and uneven surfaces to make it last longer.

I get ocd upset when I accidentally drive over a curb like if turning around a corner or during parking incidents.

Also once when I accidentally drove over a speed bump at 25-30 mph because it was painted black at the shopping center. :bang

Unlike some, I drive over speed bumps & speed tables like grandma. Don’t wanna waste money on a worn out suspension.

Also drove over the occasional unseen deep potholes from hell too. And crappy roads that are being reconstructed for years.

Thank goodness my suspension seems smooth and I don’t notice any obtrusive noise, rattling, or squeaking during my old age. Original front end except for cross arms and rear shocks replaced many years ago. Also added some cheap rubber lift kit spacers from Russia to the front and rear. Also rear Firestone airbags in the rear coils. On top of that, coil spring buffers on all 4 ends. Thank god I didn’t mess up my suspension while installing my lift kit …aka= it drives clunky. Moreover, I use to spray my rubber parts but got lazy and don’t do that anymore and just make sure their clear of any dirt or debris. Had ocd with silicone, aerospace 303, or AT205 protectants for a hot minute.

Personally, any squeak or rattling would drive me crazy and would destroy any enjoyment of driving my vehicle.

Since the Rogue is a basic car and not a complex electric vehicle, I am sure you will find a resolution. Good luck! :dblthumb:

I think I only had a clunk when boots failed. Don’t remember and some rear noise on a loose bolt on that long sway bar thingy-a-ma-jig. An impact wrench fixed that noise. Must got loose during the lift kit install.

As for my 14 yr old Rogue, it’s still running great with the suspension and not driving like junk yet. Amen. :woot:

Jay1233
Car: 2010 Nissan Rouge SL

2010 Nissan Rouge SL, 180,000kms,
’ve been having the same thing for over a year, got the clunk sound from front passenger side coming down from backroads.
At first I changed the sway bar link kits done, both sides, still had sound.
Changed the whole lower control arm assembly (with ball joint) still had sound.
Just did quick strut assembly, still had sound.
Mechanic decided to try and take out the sway bar link kits, the sound went away… I THOUGHT IT WAS.

I just got the sway bar links out, less than a week ago, sound wasn’t there, and the sway bar has foam on the ends (so there’s no banging metal on metal).
I had to go up on the backroad, I hit a couple washboards/potholes AND THE SOUNDS BACK.
Taking it back to mechanic, I’m hoping we can find a solution, already spent $1700 trying to fix this, don’t have warranty, help lmao

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

$1700 in new stuff?

I would torque every bolt to spec on your suspension.

Also do this while your suspension is loaded. Personally I do this while my Rogue is jacked up of course.

Pre-load the control arms, struts, etc. bolts front and rear.

Also a big no-no is never use those quick struts, that’s what Scotty Kilmer said at least.

He said it’s not as good as oem and usually rides worst. I don’t know if quick struts might produce a clunk tho.

Which is why if it ain’t broke I don’t fix it.

Back many moons ago I really wanted to change my struts and be proactive before problems arose but I could never find oem.

Hence, I am still using my nearly 14 yr old struts to this day. No problem, no clunks, runs great too.

All I could think of are the engine mounts and rubber bushings going bad.

My 2cents, I’m not an expert. Just weekend normal amateur mechanic guy on this forum. :woot:

Jay1233
Car: 2010 Nissan Rouge SL

$1700 in new stuff?
I would torque every bolt to spec on your suspension.
Also do this while your suspension is loaded. Personally I do this while my Rogue is jacked up of course.
Pre-load the control arms, struts, etc. bolts front and rear.
Also a big no-no is never use those quick struts, that’s what Scotty Kilmer said at least.
He said it’s not as good as oem and usually rides worst. I don’t know if quick struts might produce a clunk tho.
Which is why if it ain’t broke I don’t fix it.
Back many moons ago I really wanted to change my struts and be proactive before problems arose but I could never find oem.
Hence, I am still using my nearly 14 yr old struts to this day. No problem, no clunks, runs great too.
All I could think of are the engine mounts and rubber bushings going bad.
My 2cents, I’m not an expert. Just weekend normal amateur mechanic guy on this forum. :woot:

Thank you,
Wanna know what’s weird though,
After I got the link kits out, sounds gone. Take it over the potholes in town, nothing.
Take it to the backroad and the washboards and potholes there make the sound come back.
Come back into town, take it onto the potholes here again, sounds not there anymore.
So I’m HOPING it’s the bushings but if I replace them and they don’t make a difference, idk why there’s a difference from town and dirt road. Next place is gonna be the dealership if I can’t find anything but that’ll be more

PowerslavePA
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD w/Platinum

Most of the time, it's way bar bushings, or end links.

You can plainly see the front LCA "wafer" bushings, if those were torn.

Return to “Rogue Forum”