Front Drive Shaft

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
MM...Good
Car: 2006 M35x - totaled :(
2007 M35X - Rein"car"nated!! Premium, Advanced Tech, Journey and Aero Package
2013 G37 Convertible - SOLD.
1993 Miata - Zoom Zoom
1999 Honda Shadow Aero 1100

So I've noticed that when I put the car into reverse, I hear a loud "click". Don't really hear it when putting the car in drive nor do I hear any noise when driving. Looking through some posts on the topic of the front drive shaft, I may have a U joint that is worn out (2007 M35X with 127K miles). Assuming that is the issue, its above my pay grade to replace it myself. The cheapest OEM part I found is from DiscountInfinitiParts.com at the low low price of $558. Rock auto has an aftermarket one for $366. Ebay has a bunch of them for around $100 and some used OEM (who knows what condition those are in) for a bit under $200.

My question to the board - For those that have replaced the front shaft, did you use an OEM or aftermarket part? If you used aftermarket, did you have any fitment issues and how has it held up? I would like to drive the M for several more years so that may play into which direction I go, assuming it needs to be replaced. I also have a leaky inner CV boot on the driver side. Those shaft assemblies are ridiculously expensive!

Thanks.

cruzad3r
Car: 2006 M35x fully loaded

i'm assuming you're talking about the front axle shaft for front left and right? if so, ebay is your best friend. also search this forum for r-axle or axle shaft, i've posted links and info on how to replace. good luck

moftz
Car: 2006 M35x, 140k mi

I did the replacement myself for my 2006. The u-joint was pretty trashed and I'm pretty sure the actual ball bearings had fallen out of one of the bearings since one shafts would just rattle around in the bearing case. It was kind of a pain to get the cat out, the nuts were well rusted on there. I bought a can of pb blaster and an extra long, ratcheting t-handle (harbor freight) that really helped reach the nuts that hold it onto the exhaust manifold. Getting the shaft out required putting a jack under the transfer case, removing the support, and lowering it about an inch or two. You can usually wiggle it out from there. I've been driving with it for about a month and a half and haven't noticed any weird noises. Before I replaced it, I was hearing some awful clunking noises whenever I was backing out of parking spaces and slowing down/speeding up at low speeds. I knew it needed replacement for about a year but had neglected to do until the state inspection was coming up. I was also replacing the exhaust too since that was rusted out so I already had the car jacked up.

I bought this one, it seemed good enough quality:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Prop-Dri ... 1786888469

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”