Front cover question on S13 SR20DET

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
tloh
Car: sr20det

Ok, I have the motor pulled right now on a stand. The front cover was leaking pretty decent and the OEM HG on the car is fine.

I have pulled the lower/upper oil pan and removed the 2 bottom bolts and the 2 strainer bolts and the about to remove the 2 top bolts in the head by the gears. I have not loosened them or the 3 top front cover bolts as I have read that unbolting the 2 bolts that goes through the head can break the hg seal.

Is there a way of taking this front cover off the change oil pump and stuff without having to do a hg? Yes I have searched, that's how I knew about the hg issue, but there's never no clear answer. Which post about it people say different things. So I was hoping for a 100% yes or no with no buts added. I don't have the money to do headstuds and HG right now, so if there's no way to take it off without breaking the seal I'll just tighten everything back until I can. I also took into account everyone trying to do this still has the engine in the car?

Who knows?

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

It doesn't break the headgasket seal to the deck. It just breaks the seal around the front cover, which it will reseal once you bolt everything back. You should put some gasket maker on it as well to help aid the sealing. The big concern most people have is the upper oil pan seal. Most people will recommend resealing the whole oil pan as after the cover is replaced as it can cause tiny oil leaks in the sump where the pan, block, and cover meet.

tloh
Car: sr20det

ok That's what I thought because it's just right there on the lip, but then seen posts about needing to redo hg and was like... ehhhhh better check. Thanks for the heads up.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”