Front caliper Slide Pin

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
zypor

Checking my front brakes 2011 Pathfinder. Greasing the slide pin and I noticed that the pin with the rubber sleeve was located at the top pin location on the Right side and Bottom location on the left side.
Looked at a couple exploded diagrams of the front brakes and one diagram shows pin at top and other at bottom. Anyone have exact info on the prober location top or bottom or does it matter? :confused:

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Welcome to NICO!

I don't have an answer readily available for you, but take a peek at the Factory Service Manuals that we have available for members. Whatever that diagram shows is how I would replace them.
http://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

zypor

After a lot of reading and evaluating various manual and diagrams I’ve come to the conclusion that the “Slide Pins” with the rubber sleeve belong at the TOP or UPPER pin location.

So this is how I’ve come to that conclusion and what made it so confusing at times.

All of this applies to the 2011 Pathfinder other years that I have checked 2007 - 2012 appear to apply.

Looking at the Front brake exploded view in the service manual [BR-54] The slide pin that is in the location of the upper position [PC-6] has a black circle w/white X. If you go to the General Information section on page GI-5 it gives a table with the description for the various symbols used in the service manual. This symbol means to replace this part when servicing the brake [overhaul].
What confused me on deciding if it was the upper pin or lower is that when you go to the drawing for ordering the brake parts it appears to show the slide pin with the rubber sleeve in the bottom position. I latter determined that the drawing for ordering parts is reversed. If you reposition the parts drawing for correct orientation then the pin is in the Upper position. I ordered two new pins [they came with rubber sleeves] and even the parts guy was confused at first.

For further confirmation in the service manual under the section for “Unit Disassembly and Assembly” There is a Caution that the Upper Slide Pin is to be replace with each service.
With all these makers I came to the conclusion that the Upper Slide pins have the rubber sleeve installed.

The manual says to use Rubber Grease but no further info is given. In the 2007 Pathfinder Service Manual a part number is given for the rubber grease but I was unable to locate anyone that sells it in the US or any English speaking country.
I did find it on several Japanese web sites but none of them where set up to sell to US customers. It also interesting in the 2007 Service manual it says not to use the Rubber Grease when reassembling the seals on the Piston and Piston Boot. But it does indicated to use is on the slide pins. Latter years the Service Manual says to use Rubber Grease when reassembling the Brake Piston and and Piston Boot additional to use it on the Slide pins but no part number or description for the Rubber grease is given.

So what exactly is Rubber Grease.
I found this web page on Red Rubber Grease http://www.redrubbergrease.com
straight forward URL.
It gives all the benefits of Red Rubber grease and why to use it.

At the bottom of the page its list three Red Rubber Greases.
Castrol, Millers and Fuchs.

I could not find the Castrol or Fuchs sold in the US. There are a couple of UK sites but the quantity is either 500ml or 500g. This is enough Red Rubber grease to take care of a fleet of cars. The Millers is listed on Amazon US web site but again in a 500ml container.

I did find a UK web site [they also sell it on ebay] that sells a small tin [18g] of Red Rubber Grease. He list three different types. The description of the three is a little thin on information.Two are from Castrol and the third is unknown. Castro only list one type of Red Rubber Grease on their web site so I’m not sure what the difference is. I sent him an email for additional information and I’am waiting for a reply.

His price is under $4.00 US with free shipping and being its 18g that’s more than enough for several brake jobs.

This is the web site for the 18g tin http://www.greasedtoexist.com

I did come across another option. When I was looking for the Slide Pin position I came across a Subaru form and the discussion was on what grease to use on the Slide Pins. Subaru has a recommended Lubricant for the Slide pins and it is available from Subaru dealers.
Subaru part Number 000041000. This is Niglube RX. Information on this lubricant can be found at the following URL http://www.nippon-grease.co.jp/en/produ ... 02.html#02

For the other two lubricants used on the front brake shims Molykote AS-880N and the Front and Rear Pad retainers Molykote 7439 I could not find a reseller in the US.

For the Shims and Pad retainers I decided on using Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Lubricant. It appears to meet or exceeds the requirements of the two Molykote products.
The description also states it is compatible with Rubber in seals and rubber sleeves.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Holy cow man, talk about being thorough!! Thank you for compiling all of that information!!
I would've used generic brake grease on the pins and called it a day. Interesting to know there is a difference.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I use Mobil1 synthetic grease - Have had great luck with it, even in heavy-abuse brake applications.

I'm also a fan of Shin-etsu grease... amazing stuff, lasts forever.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

If you replace the pin and boot every service, you can probably use whatever grease you want... but some greases DO eat through rubber and plastic.
There really isn't a "1 grease fits all" application, but some grease is certainly better than no grease.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Definitely something I need to do on the NICO Hauler. Pretty sure it still has the originals. :(

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”