Front brakes on Convertibles

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
ramrat

I just want to confirm that the front brake calipers on convertibles (at least a 92) is ABS (even though we don't have abs).

I should get brake pads and rotors that are for an abs car?

And ,is there a way to tell if the caliper did not get changed and are still infact the ABS kind - since I am not the original owner of the car.

Thanks

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

if the brake hardware is still the original, then yes get ABS gear. I believe the only difference between an ABS caliper and a non-ABS caliper was the mounting bracket. So as long as the mounting brackets didn't change, you should be good to go.

I know one of the previous owners of my car changed rotors, and didn't get the ABS rotors, so the pad would extend beyond the rotor and not wear. You couldn't tell the pad life by just looking at it. You'd have to take the whole thing off....

wayfastwhitey

shucks... i didnt know that verts used some abs gear...

is it bad to run without abs pads? is it possible to run non-abs pads in the abs caliper? i think i grabbed non-abs pads last change, but i'm not sure

and i noticed ramrat only mentioned the fronts... are the rears special too?

thanks

ramrat

I believe abs was just on the fronts. If you look at some vendors they only have abs pads and rotors for the fronts

guyaverage
Car: 240sx Convertible

Recently changed all 4 sets on mine. Rear were standard. Fronts were ABS. If you are given the wrong pads you will know it right off the bat. They are unmistakingly different.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

the rear brakes never changed between ABS and non-ABS cars. If you get the non ABS sized pads on accident for the front, they won't fit into the keeper properly (too small and wobble around).

The main reason why we got the slightly larger ABS brakes was due to the added weight of the vert, they needed the slightly larger brakes to counter that fact.

topdown240
Car: '92 240sx convertible

The convertible calipers are the same as '89 maxima calipers. If you get the maxima brackets, you can run '94 altima rotors on the front.

I know there's a range of years for the above parts, but these are the specific years I used.

Got them on my car and they grab a little better than stock.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”