Front Brake Rotor Bolts

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Richard D
Car: Nissan 1995 Pathfinder

I am replacing the rotors on the front brakes of my 1985 2WD 720 with Z24 motor. Each of the old rotors was fastened with six bolts. Each bolt had a shoulder built into the head, and each bolt ALSO had a split lock washer under the head. However the factory microfiche DOES NOT show any split lock washers. Probably the rotors were replaced by another owner?

Does it matter if I use new bolts without the shoulder head?Why wouldn't the factory use lock washers in this application?Should I use some blue medium strength Loctite when I re-assemble them? The blue #242 Loctite is only rated to 300 degrees F. The rotors will get hot, but I can't imagine the hubs and bolts getting to 300 degrees unless something is seriously wrong.

FYI the bolts are 9 mm shaft, with a 14 mm head and are 31 mm long without the head.

I am new so thanks in advance for any advice.

Richard

Old Rob

Get some grade 8 or better shouldered bolts and lock washers. The shoulder helps to index the rotor to the hub and eliminate any radial play. Disc brakes will see temps above 300 degrees on occasion.

Return to “Datsun 720”