Friend wants a R34 Shell to buy.

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
slowlyevolving
Car: Evo VIII MR

Well, keep me posted on what you find out. I want an R34 also. Maybe you will find something out that I haven't. Good luck.

turbo_dreams
Car: 92 240 sx hb w/ 120k miles.

man that guy w/ the rx7 is the closest near guy to god to me right now, just read all 3 pages n i'm speachless, i think if i had the money right now i could ship out any car i want from japan to us right now from the info n details he gave, everyone should really check that thread

JaS3113
Car: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec LM Ltd- Angelina

Thanks guys for the compliments. Mine is a 95.

I would definately recommend Takara Motors. I haven't delt with them personally, but hear good things about them

In regards to bringing it in as a kit car, that is very possible, alot of people seem to be doing it and have no problems. Just be wary that if anything ever happens, accidents or fed gov finds out, insurance have the right not to pay out or the feds can repossess the car. The example of the RX7 is RX7's are already here in the states he can get the car to conform to EPA and DOT if he needed to. There are no other ones who will do that for a Skyline (actaully one or two), but they charge an arm and a leg.

There have been hundreds upon hundreds of debates on this topic. The facts have been laid out on the buying it already legalized or bringing it in as a kit car. Everyone is old enough to drive here (hopefully), so they should be old enough to make their own choices and live with the consequences should anything happen.

I can honestly say the attention gets old sometimes, unless your in your early 20's and like it. They cost a pretty penny to modify unless you are loaded, be ready to start swapping tranny's out after you start putting out about 550+.

Since I've bought the car I've dumped about 18k ok parts. Every little things add up.

Good luck on the car

John

slowlyevolving

JaS3113 wrote:.....I can honestly say the attention gets old sometimes, unless your in your early 20's and like it. They cost a pretty penny to modify unless you are loaded, be ready to start swapping tranny's out after you start putting out about 550+.

Since I've bought the car I've dumped about 18k ok parts. Every little things add up.

Good luck on the car

John
That is easy for you to say that the attention gets old....you have a GREAT looking skyline. I only wish I had one right now. I am going to get one someday...

zoborax
Car: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTS25t

I know you said $10-$15k for a skyline, but that's pretty difficult to encounter, particularly, if its a GTR. I can connect you with someone who can get you a real clean R32 GTR, titled and registered as it is, for around $20k-$25k. Or a clean R33 GTS25t for around $19k-$22k. I've already bought one from him, and the title transferred to my state. Registration was no problem, either! I even passed emissions legitimately!

kill1get1free
Car: 90 240sx, 92 240sx (parts), 93 hardbody (parts),94 hardbody, 2003 Sentra se-r spec v, 2015 Quest Platinum.

cool we live in GA also but we'll have to wait about a month or so (really depends on when he can get his house sold) to see exactly how much he's gonna be able to spend. After his house gets sold we'll hit you up. THX

Blasdro

IS it the Engine that makes the R34's illegal? What if you buy it without the engine (like threadmaker said) and add another engine (not the RB)

TOPSECRT88
Car: S14

You could get an R32 for 10-15 grand....although it wouldnt be legal, or a GTR, and not in the best shape

zoborax

Compliments of NHTSA

http://nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/im...55977

9. Importing a vehicle for parts.

If a vehicle originally manufactured for on-road use is shipped with its engine and drive train, it would be regarded as a motor vehicle for the purpose of the vehicle importation laws, and would have to be declared as such. If the vehicle was not originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS, it could not be lawfully imported unless it is determined eligible for importation by NHTSA and is imported by an RI or by a person who has a contract with an RI to modify the vehicle so that it conforms to all applicable standards following importation.

If a vehicle is shipped without its engine and drive train, it would be treated, for importation purposes, not as a motor vehicle but instead as an assemblage of motor vehicle equipment items. In this instance, the vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form, which covers motor vehicle equipment not covered by a standard, or manufactured before the date that an applicable standard takes effect. Any items included in the assemblage that are subject to an FMVSS (brake hoses, brake fluid, glazing, lighting equipment, seat belt assemblies, tires, rims) that were not manufactured to comply with the applicable standard, and/or were not so certified by their original manufacturer, must be removed from the assemblage and exported or destroyed before entry. Any covered equipment items that were manufactured in compliance with the applicable FMVSS, and were so certified, must be entered under Box 2A.

10. Importing a disassembled vehicle.

A disassembled vehicle that is shipped without an engine and transmission is treated for importation purposes not as a motor vehicle, but instead as an assemblage of motor vehicle equipment items. Such an assemblage can lawfully be imported into the U.S., provided any equipment included in the assemblage that is subject to FMVSS, but was not originally manufactured to comply with that FMVSS or was not so certified by its original manufacturer, is removed from the assemblage prior to entry into the U.S. Equipment items that are subject to the FMVSS include tires, rims, brake hoses, brake fluid, seat belt assemblies, glazing materials, and lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

If the assemblage is shipped with an engine and power train (even if those components are not installed), it would be regarded for importation purposes as a motor vehicle, and would have to be either manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS, and be so certified by its original manufacturer, in the form of a label permanently affixed to the vehicle, or be determined eligible for importation by NHTSA and be imported by an RI or by a person who has a contract with an RI to bring the vehicle into compliance with all applicable FMVSS after importation.

zoborax

Compliments of EPA

http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/kitcar.htm

The production, sale and importation of automotive bodies alone (i.e., no chassis, engine or transmission) are not regulated by EPA since such units are not considered "motor vehicles" under the Clean Air Act. EPA form 3520-1 is not required for imported automotive bodies. A motor vehicle from which the engine has been removed is still a motor vehicle and is not considered a body.

The production, sale and importation of vehicle parts (engines, transmissions, chassis, vehicle bodies, etc.) are not regulated by EPA because parts are not considered motor vehicles under the Clean Air Act. However if the parts constitute a disassembled vehicle or an approximate disassembled vehicle, the combination is considered a motor vehicle under the Clean Air Act. Any attempt to use this policy to circumvent the Clean Air Act or the Imports regulations will be considered a violation of the Clean Air Act and will be strictly enforced. An example of such circumvention is:

A kit car maker who also provides the engine and transmission before or after production/importation of the body/chassis.

"Motor vehicles" must comply with the Clean Air Act and may not be disassembled nor purchased in a disassembled form for the purposes of evading the Clean Air Act or the Imports regulations. In these situations the kit car body/chassis combination must be certified by the manufacturer, must be in a configuration which was previously certified by EPA subject to the guidelines discussed at "2" above or, in the case of an importation, an EPA form 3520-1 must be filed at the port of entry and the vehicle imported by an eligible ICI who must ensure that the kit car body/chassis complies with all applicable emission requirements. At the present time, there are no ICIs eligible to import kit cars.

Blasdro

ok so what is it that makes the skyline an illegal?

drivetain, transmission, engine, what?

once I find that out, if I can get one without that particular part can I import it legally?

TOPSECRT88
Car: S14

im not 100% sure, so please dont take my word for it. but i think its something w/ the glass and bumpers. I think the Skylines aren't as safe as the DOT would like them to be. And they'd fail crash tests...

slowlyevolving

There are a few things that make skylines illegal. You have to reinforce the chassis in certain places...unknown. The glass is a different standard than the FMVSS would like. There is a list of like 20 things from my understanding. I found a list a while back but I can't remember where. Maybe I can find it again. It's not the engine though. You also have to change things like the dash from km/h to mph and some other

zoborax

If you read further in the NHTSA website, the NHTSA doesn't know what would make the car safe or not. All they know is that it does not have the cute little sticker in the door jamb, provided by the manufacturer, stating that the car meets all applicable FMVSS blah blah blah. Yes, J.K. technologies did do some structural reinforcements (i.e. door panels, firewall, seat belt anchors, etc.), but all of that is held confidential. So you have two options, both of which are very expensive, to "legalize" a skyline. You can contract a registered importer and a vehicle safety analysis company (i.e. MGA Research Corporation) to conduct crash testing to see if the skyline will pass without modifications, or you can call J.K. Technologies and have them do you a 96' GTR for around $50k on top of the price of the vehicle.

God Bless this land of Freedom! Eh? Freedom for the rich!

slowlyevolving

Now of course the NHTSA doesn't know what to do to make the vehicles legal since they are not the one's that did the testing. Overall, it may be worth it to try to do the testing to get them legalized but, the demand isn't going to necessarily be there. True, there is alot of people who want skylines (including me) but, who can afford one for the price that a company would charge to sell them? I know that I have been saving up alot of money for a few years and I still don't have enough to get an R34 if motorex was still in business. There is a high demand for these cars but not enough funds. Two problems with getting a company such as MGA to do the testing. 1). you would need to provide at least one car if not more to get the testing done and accurate. 2) they you would get a list of what needs to be done in order to make it legal. Not to mention that once you do all of the reinforcing and whatever else it is that would need to be changed, you would have to crash that car to make sure it passes the test with all the required modifications. In the end...it wouldn't be worth it. I couldn't even begin to imagine what it would cost. Your better off just waiting your 25 years for the model that you want. It would be less of a headache.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”