Fresh air intake attached to radiator

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
caliport
Car: Infiniti i30

The threads about replacing a radiator either make no mention of the Fresh Air Intake mounted to the radiator, or simply say "remove fresh air intake". The latter is my problem, I don't want to break anything and am puzzled by how to remove it.

The Service Manual is useless, it does not even show the Fresh Air Intake in the parts diagram. The cooling section tells you how to crimp on a new radiator top but makes no mention of removal. I searched every pdf of the various sections and found a few 'fresh air' references but none of them were for the radiator/air filter box.

The fresh air intake of my wife's i30 as shown at https://imgur.com/uYwJ6sr has to be removed before anything can be done with the radiator.

The intake channels air over to the air filter box and fits over an external airbox fitting https://imgur.com/6CX15oY. There appear to be no clips to relase or press to open, it looks like twisting a joint knife in the gap will push the fresh air intake off the airbox.

Sounds easy, but there is a gotcha as seen at https://imgur.com/LAfsDDs, a T drops down to a rigid plastic elbow which has an open rectangle that appears to be snap fitting that has to be pressed in. I tried pressing a screw driver against it without success.

If anyone on the Forum has removed the Fresh Air Intake, I would very much appreciate their advice on how to remove it.

EdBwoy

See the Phillips heads in your first picture? Turn those screws counterclockwise (might need to hold the outer washer to prevent those from spinning as well). I can't remember when to stop, but the insert will rise and allow the washer style part of it to collapse beneath the hole, then you can use whatever flat object you please to lift under the washer/above the air collector material.
This is just a fancy iteration of the push clips such as those used in the trunk trim or fender liner fasteners. If they break, don't fret. I know I've used zip ties in a pinch.

After that, just pull the funnel up while simultaneously swinging it to the front of the car. It's not even an interference fit on the other end, so you don't have to fight it. It just sits there with some foam for insulation/packing.
Here's an old picture of mine from either a 99 and/or 01 and/or 02 Maxima.

Good luck

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

You just have to slightly warp, open or unsnap whatever the part is, the important thing to remember being that almost every part like that was put on the car by HAND ONLY and no tools used at all.

Nissan uses multiple arguing tabs and locators that WILL break if not carefully coaxed off all at the semi-same time. The phillips head plastic screws are FAKE, they are not screws at all and commonly will not back out when treating them like a screw. If you simply take a sharp knife edge and dig under the edge of the center it pops right up and reveals the center which simply pushes down into the outside portion to spread it enough lower down to then hold.

They use the phillips head for looks and more importantly it fools timid people trying to remove parts when the center does not unscrew like a normal screw would..........one trip to the dealership and whopping prices coming up............

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”