frequency of battery replacement

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Chris Halkides
Car: photography, model cars, model airplanes

Hello everyone,

My 1997 J30t needs a new battery and an alternator. My battery was 7 years old, and I put about 8-9k miles per year (probably about 115,000 miles now). I was shocked at the price of a new alternator, and I would like to avoid having to replace it again. How often should the battery be replaced. Should I check it, or just assume that after a certain number of miles or years, that it is time for a replacement? Thanks.

Chris

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Usually batteries only get about 4-5 years of regular service, so at 7 years you're on borrowed time.. Last battery I had lasted 5 years and I was waiting for it to go.. Friend of mine left the door open over night so the light stayed on, on a cold winter night and the battery was toasted after that..

Chris Halkides
Car: photography, model cars, model airplanes

elwesso,

Thanks. I had to pay through the nose for a new alternator. What should I do with the old one? Is there a service that rebuilds them?

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

Battery life is directly related to battery temperature- those in hot climates have the shortest life, those who live in cold areas have the longest life- moving the battery from the brutal heat under the hood to the trunk or under rear seats like some Mercedes experience much longer life.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”