FREE ALTIMA HEADLIGHTS (Deadline 3/26/2022)

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
GEN1
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima SL 2.5

If you have a 2013-2018 Nissan Altima, YOU SHOULD READ THIS NOW.

Deadline to submit online claim form to qualify for FREE REPLACEMENT HEADLIGHTS, that you are entitled to, is March 26, 2022. Minimum $1,200 value!

Class action settlement determined that these vehicles have a defect that causes an interior reflecting surface of the headlamp to deteriorate, resulting in dimming of the low beam headlights.

http://www.altimaheadlightsettlement.com/

How do I know if my Altima was manufactured with halogen headlamps?

All 2013-2018 Nissan Altimas were manufactured with halogen headlamps and are included in the Class, except the following, which were manufactured with Xenon or LED headlamps.

ALTIMAS EXCLUDED FROM THE SETTLEMENT:

Model Years Trim Package/Edition

2013-2015 3.5L SL
2017 3.5L SL
2016-2018 3.5L SL with Tech package
2016-2017 3.5L SR
2016-2017 2.5L SR with LED Appearance pkg
2016-2018 2.5L SL with Tech package
2017 2.5L SR Midnight Edition

For clarity, the Settlement Class Vehicles inlcude all 2013-2018 Altimas manufactured with halogen headlamps, and excludes 2013-2018 Altimas manufactured with Xenon or LED headlamps.

There are over 1,700,000 Nissan Altimas included in this class action settlement. This is close to all Nissan Altimas sold from 2013-2018.

FILE YOUR OUT-OF-WARRANTY CLAIM BEFORE MARCH 26, 2022 … then schedule replacement from an authorized Nissan dealer between March 27, 2022 - September 23, 2022.

Below is the link to file an Out-of-Warranty claim:

https://kccsecure.com/altimaheadlightse ... W/Claimant

Feel free to forward this to anyone whom you know has a Nissan Altima, or to all your Facebook friends.

I did exactly as the settlement stated, took my Nissan Altima to a Nissan Dealer, and they denied me the replacement. As a result, I needed to email the attorney for the class action case, and the Nissan Consumer Affairs Department for Nissan North America. The Nissan Consumer Affairs Department then advised me that “Note that we are well-aware of some dealerships miscommunicating parts of the settlement to Nissan vehicle owners,” and they advised me to schedule my FREE HEADLIGHTS REPLACEMENT again.

Deadline to file a claim is March 26, 2022. See all details via Suarez v. Nissan story below. It includes a FAQ if more info is needed.

I have shared this post to demonstrate that, if you are denied by the dealership, this does not mean you are not entitled to FREE REPLACEMENT HEADLIGHTS.

If you don’t act now (before March 26,2022), thinking “My headlights seem fine”, and then 3months later your lights are suddenly dim, you are unfortunately out of luck.

This is not a recall that is good indefinitely. This is a lawsuit settlement that you were automatically opted into if you didn’t already opt out by 11/22/2021 (whether you knew about the class action lawsuit or not.

Something to consider:
If you have an Nissan Altima from 2013-2018, you likely have headlights on your vehicle that could effectively depreciate the value of your vehicle if you later want to sell it.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Just to add, you can also be reimbursed if you had the headlights replaced already and have receipts for them. But the OP is right, time isn't forever on this one.

GEN1

Thanks Vstar650CL. Since vehicles are 2013-2018, most people will fall into the Out-of-Warranty category. Here is more info in case you bought the car second hand, and so Nissan did not know to send you a postcard with a claim form and claim #.

Where can you get more information?

If you have additional questions regarding the Notice or the Settlement, or if you did not receive Notice in the mail and believe that you may be a member of the Settlement Class, you should review the Settlement Administrator’s dedicated website by visiting this website or calling 1-855-786-0996 for more information, or you may communicate directly with Class Counsel by contacting the attorneys listed in FAQ 18.

If Nissan gives you any pushback at all, you could then bring it to the attention of the Plaintiff’s attorney since the judges ruling stated as follows:

“Without affecting the finality of this Judgment, this Court reserves exclusive jurisdiction over all matters related to administration, consummation, enforcement, and interpretation of the Settlement, and this Final Order and Judgment, including (a) distribution or disposition of the settlement funds; and (b) the Parties for the purpose of construing, enforcing, and administering the Settlement. If any Party fail(s) to fulfill its or their obligations under the Settlement, the Court retains authority to vacate the provisions of this Judgment releasing, relinquishing, discharging, barring and enjoining the prosecution of, the Released Claims against the Released Parties, and to reinstate the Released Claims against the Released Parties.”

FYI: A copy of the final judgment is available via the links I provided. The above is quote is contained in paragraph 18.

Per the terms of the class action settlement, Nissan is obligated to replace your lights if they are the halogen lights for the covered years. Otherwise Nissan better be prepared for a follow-up class action lawsuit. They can’t acknowledge a defective part, then put a deadline on getting compensation, then deny compensation within the stated timeframe, and then later when your lights “meet the dimness criteria” then say “Sorry, you didn’t get them replaced by the deadline.” As somewhat of a consumer advocate, I could easily argue that point.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

For everyone's information, Nissan just issued a universal US recall of all '13~'18 Altima sedans and '13 coupes for halogen headlight replacement. So if you missed the settlement action deadlines or didn't know about it, you should be getting a notice to replace your lights anyway. Bulletin numbers are NTB22-039 for the sedan, NTB22-040 for the coupe.

GEN1

VStar650CL: thanks for the update. I will pass on to 100’s of others on a Reddit thread I have been maintaining.

GEN1

VStar650CL: Where did you learn of the recall. Can you provide a link to online documentation about it?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'm a Nissan tech. Until NHTSA posts the information public, that's all the info I can offer. The actual bulletin is "confidential" until then and I'm not at liberty. However, there's nothing wrong with referencing the bulletin ID when discussing it with dealers, it officially "exists" as soon as the mailers are sent out.

GEN1

Ok. Thanks.

einnostlm
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5L S
2015 Nissan Altima 2.5L SL
2016 Nissan Altima 3.5L SL

I am just now hearing about this; however, I already replaced my headlights because they were too dim to drive at night. (2015 2.5L/SL). Is this whole thing about getting my money back real, still going on, did I miss a deadline? I purchased them plus superbright bulbs from Autozone on October 27 of 2021 and did the labor myself. It cost me over $450. For me that's a lot of money and I would love to get it back. [email protected] 716-720-4736.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The deadline to submit for reimbursement was 4-25. You could try contacting the settlement admin, but I'm pretty sure it won't help. I'm afraid you're SOL.

15Altima585
Car: 2015 Nissan Altima S

Is the halogen headlight recall/campaign "alive" for everyone now?

How do we check? Some dealers avoid these quiet recalls, any tips to spur them into action?

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”