Free air Sub by Kicker?

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
1991240xs

I rode in my sister's boyfriend's Pontiac bonneville. Needless to say, he is loaded. He has a center channel, two tweeters, door speakers, and new speakers in the rear deck. He was telling me that he has Kicker free air subs. Does this mean they do not have any type of enclosure? I would love to just get one of what he has(he has two...it was deafening while we were watching the Matrix at the helicopter scene(oh ya, dvd player too))....Has anyone dealt with free air subs? I think this setup would be very sweet in my 240 because I already know how I would build the box for it~

stretch240sx

Quote »Does this mean they do not have any type of enclosure?[/quote]

Quote »I think this setup would be very sweet in my 240 because I already know how I would build the box for it~[/quote]

it wouldnt need a box:cool:

Simmsled
Car: TSI GTI - E46 325i

Free-air subs do not require an enclosure and therefore have many applications. You can put a free-air sub on a rear deck, in a door (a ton of sound deadening material needed) or anywhere you want really, just as long as it has a baffle (a board separating the air in front from the air in the rear of the sub).

JESTER
Car: 2004 Chevy Colorado Bright a** red. 3.5 five cylinder

:Werd

I never liked free air, but I only used those about ten years ago when most of the free air speaker (that I could afford) sucked.

Sounds like your friend has it working nicely.

1991240xs

ya right now i have a crappy 12 inch in a box in the hatch area..and it takes up so much room..i'd like to remove the box and mount the amp to the board to free up some space..plus the sub sucks and has a rip in the lining~

Nebraska240sx

I have never tried a free air, but I do think that it would not have as good of sound as a enclosed sub. Just my opinion but hey what do i know.

InstantRice

they usually arent better than enclosed subs at anything but while we are speaking of kicker my friend just got the prototype L7 15, 149.5 outta 1 sub....drool...

Neal00

Well if that red S13 is your car, then you can't use a kicker freeair because you need to have a trunk. Freeair woofers will not work in a hatchback.

InstantRice

why wont they work in a hatchback, im not familiar w/ free air subs cause i try not to deal in crap.

stretch240sx

why dont you take out the back seat and make a box in its place loose space but you get truck space

Neal00

InstantRiceIf Kicker freeairs are used just like their name says, then you don,t build a box. An over simplified analogy would be to mount them on the rear deck of a car with a trunk just like you would if they were 6x9's. In most cases you would cut out a board that would be installed up against the back seat, mount the woofers to it and fire them through the back seat. The most important thing to pay attention to is that the back wave of the woofer never be able to leak through and cancel the sound of the front wave ( they are 180 degrees out of phase with each other and will cancel each other out ). If subs were mounted on the package tray in a hatchback the subs rear wave would leak through the back seat and alot of other places and really screw up the sound.

1991240SXIf you want to keep your box size small maybe you should try a Kicker L7 10. They fit in a small box and they have a lot of output for their size. It will probably smoke that 12 you have now.

InstantRice

neal a kicker l7,at any size, in a small box is a waste of a monsterous sub.

MasterMan
Car: nothing running at the moment city buses "uck here

free air subs suck.. IMO... your gonna need a box.. but why not just build the sub into the wheel well.. then cover the whole thing with a pice of wood, u will never even know its there...

Neal00

InstantRice, I agree that (for best sound quality) using Kickers smaller box size recommendations may not be the right thing to do. However imho I feel that most people actually like the boomier sound that a high QTc box makes. Perhaps an Audiomobile MASS10 might have been a better recommedation for a purist frequency response.MasterMan, I wonder if you have ever heard a freeair system properly installed. It actually works really well (when installed correctly). That was a very good recommendation about the spare tire well.

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”